AQntifouling Addatives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After 40 years in the marine coatings industry I thought I had heard all the dumb ideas to make antifouling perform better...

You have been in the industry for 40 years and are just now hearing this wive's tale?

You have been in the industry for 40 years and are just now hearing this wive's tale?
I checked his post for you and sure enough, that is what he posted. What now? What`s your point? If you want to tell us you are surprised, say so.

Your boat is "in the water" slipped isnt it? Did you have to haul it to apply the ArmorAll

Oh yes I can’t imagine applying it in the water.
But almost every time I haul I pull the prop I re-coat. Take it home and clean throughly w solvents, sand paper or scotch-bright. Then I apply the AA w a squirt bottle and brush it evenly around (throw away brushes) and do that several times. Afterwards I handle the prop w mechanics rubber gloves. Places like the steering wheel of my car is no place for ArmorAll. I try not to touch the outer edges of the prop (the fast moving part and most likely place to wash off the AA) and move it around grabbing the hub. Then I flip the prop and do the other side. If weather avails itself I sunbake both sides. Lastly I tell marina people not to touch it.

I’m changing props soon so will be doing this in a week or so. The weather’s already quite cool here so won’t be much of a sunbake.

Last edited:
OK so I have "bitten the bullet" and have launched today with Chilli powder added to my ablative antifouling paint, I did not added the full amount recommended of 2kg per 10 liters but opted for 1kg as it seemed a little excessive as the viscosity increased to a stage where the product was difficult to handle in my opinion. It could not be sprayed as it clogged the nozzle and with rolling left a rather stippled finish.
I have also placed a 500mm x 500mm test panel on my marina split into 3 sections, 1 x antifouling only, 1 x with chilli powder added and 1 x antifouling with a super hot chilli paste, reason for paste tril is that if it works will emulsify into paint and allow spraying.
Nothing ventured nothing gained. We aare just entering the barnacle spat season here so will be interesting to monitor

I watched shows of wrecks in salt water where old shoes didn’t have any marine growth on them. So maybe adding tannic acid to the paint will work.

You may have something there. After a year in the Bahamas our boat had a liberal coating of barnacles. Week and a half in the tannic acid rich Dismal Swamp and the bottom looked like new.

According to Robert Peek (lock master and amateur historian) it was an old practice to bring wooden vessels as far into the swamp as possible to clean marine growth from the bottom.

Hi Phil23, looking forward to the results of your efforts to compare, with and without the controversial additive.

Do barnacles sneeze? :lol:

Sometimes an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure: contact the local invertebrate department at the local university and ask about the calendar of the settling phase of the barnacle species of concern. Being out of saltwater, either on the hard or in freshwater is a good solution. That’s what I do.

Jim

If you want to add ingredients to your bottom paint, start with the substances the EPA has banned. Most, if not all, are available from a chemical supply. Years ago, we didn't have the issue of bottom growth that we do now. Even in the tropics.
I don't know what the navy uses but pic is destroyer USS Cole, 4 years in tropical water. No growth/barnacles.

Attachments

• Cole.jpg
    Cole.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 52
I remember the green paint .. “wood preservative”
Can’t get anything like it now.

It can be had some way or another. The guy building the Sea Dreamer on youtube is using it. George Buehler recommended it up till his last days.

Cuprinol , worked great.

Today you need to look in farm catalogues for fence post dip, still copper napthate.

Some is sold as concentrates , add diesel or kerosene to create the solution.

Last edited:
I've heard of this but never seen it in person. I've also heard that coating the bottom with a graphite paint works very well and doesn't require the yearly renewal some ablative paints require.

EZ-Slide is what was recommended.
https://www.amazon.com/Ez-Slide-Gra...a2ab5ccd3153bfb41174056353a48f&language=en_US

I think I should amend my comment about using graphite paints anywhere onboard a boat. I read an article about graphite shaft packing. I wish I would have bookmarked it. The article stated that graphite will cause galvanic corrosion on any metal it contacts in the presence of saltwater.

Back
Top Bottom