Old 03-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #181
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
3. For the longest service life usually a block heater will allow oil to the surfaces fast enough on most "cold" starts.
I had block heaters on my 8V92 DDECs and they made all the difference in the world on cold starts.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #182
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
They have plug ins on the parking meters in Fairbanks AK for your block heater. They aren't for the fussy stuff we've been talk'in about though. They are there so the car WILL START. And w/o the plug in they won't start.

In the gold mine I worked at when 19 in western AK they built small fires under the D8 cats to start them. They had a "pony motor" (2 cyl gas engine) that pumped exhaust gas and it's coolant into the big Cat engine to pre-heat.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #183
Veteran Member

City: newport
Some more thoughts on pre lubing & dry starts, To start.... ALL engines are different, some engines bleed down oil very slow wile some fast, In the last 35 years I have rebuild over 200 diesel engines and a few propane and gas, We test run every single one in the shop before we install, Every engine builder I know < and I know a few > Pre lubes on engine assembly and on start up. Now here is some things I picked up over time, If your engine sits for over a week, start it wile observing the oil pressure gauge, If the gauge rises fast than it may not warrant pre lubing or the sending unit may be close to the oil pump ?... all engines are different.... how fast dose the engine start?? If it takes 10 seconds to fire off then you have already pre lubed to a point, Pre lubing on the starter is not a perfect solution but it has some advantages, You wil still have the compression loads on the crank & rod bearings but that is far less than the load when the cylinder fires.The valve train only sees the load from spring pressure & only turns @ 1/2 engine speed so getting oil up there fast is not as important. On some engines the engine has to turn to align certain oil passages for oil to flow < Thats something they dont tell you with the pre lube kits > so you can spend some hard earned American bucks on a waste of time, Old engines with worn bearing, clearances will benefit more from pre lubing... why? Engine bearing material will eventually have some hard trash imbeded in them that's part of its job, On a dry start the firing load will cause trash to score or cut the crank pin journal deeper than just a compression load, That could very well be the difference in having to purchase or weld a crank on a rebuild rather than just polish or have it cut. Now for the save the starter motor crowd and that's all for that. Remember you don't have to pre lube every time you start your diesel, just after its been sitting some and if you have a single screw trawler... unless you think that you can pill start it a spare starter may be a good idea, that all for now , just ran out of coffee
Craig Schreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #184
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Many years ago there was a thread on the GBWoodies forum and the owner of a large marina in the Seattle area commented about the owners and how they cared for their boats by coming down weekly and starting their engines, bringing them up to temp and shutting them off vs. those who lived in Chicago and other cities East and only came out once a year for their two week vacation.

He commented there was no difference he could see in the life of the engines and that was over a 40 year period he owned that marina.

Another point. Why buy a pre lube system or burn up your starter when I have two points that were made long ago?
1, synthetic oils stick to the metal. No pre lube needed.
2. Prolong is a positive charged conventional oil that sticks to all metal and therefore no pre lube needed if you use conventional oils?

I think the fix is easy for either oil choice.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #185
Veteran Member

City: newport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
Many years ago there was a thread on the GBWoodies forum and the owner of a large marina in the Seattle area commented about the owners and how they cared for their boats by coming down weekly and starting their engines, bringing them up to temp and shutting them off vs. those who lived in Chicago and other cities East and only came out once a year for their two week vacation.

He commented there was no difference he could see in the life of the engines and that was over a 40 year period he owned that marina.

Another point. Why buy a pre lube system or burn up your starter when I have two points that were made long ago?
1, synthetic oils stick to the metal. No pre lube needed.
2. Prolong is a positive charged conventional oil that sticks to all metal and therefore no pre lube needed if you use conventional oils?

I think the fix is easy for either oil choice.

Look out... I have another rule There are lots of products you can purchase to dump into fuel or oil... The real ones will have a Mill Spec # or a OEM endorsement or recommendation... That means its been tested and approved for fleet use by a third party lab. As for the rest of the stuff your on your own. I am very surprised that no one has mentioned the reduction or lack of zinc in popular diesel oils... that's a real hot topic on the SAE forums and news letters. As you can see I found more coffee
Craig Schreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #186
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Yup. I would agree that is the case for most of the people on this forum. Same goes with the use of synthetic oil.

Hard to make a valid business case for either.
Thus: "immitation - pre lube", i.e. uyilizing starter power only... and using/often-changing good dino oil is "Da Way Ta Go"!

Least that's how I read/see it!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #187
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Schreck View Post
Look out... I have another rule There are lots of products you can purchase to dump into fuel or oil... The real ones will have a Mill Spec # or a OEM endorsement or recommendation... That means its been tested and approved for fleet use by a third party lab. As for the rest of the stuff your on your own. I am very surprised that no one has mentioned the reduction or lack of zinc in popular diesel oils... that's a real hot topic on the SAE forums and news letters. As you can see I found more coffee
I pour in 4oz ZDDP with each oil change and pour in another 4oz ZDDP in mid-time between oil change. Extra zinc in the lube oil is one of my classic engines' best friends!!
Old 03-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #188
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I pour in 4oz ZDDP with each oil change and pour in another 4oz ZDDP in mid-time between oil change. Extra zinc in the lube oil is one of my classic engines' best friends!!
You are a gasser though, right?
Old 03-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #189
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
You are a gasser though, right?
Yup! Happily so tooooo today! Did diesel years agoooo...

BTW: Base oil I use in my land and marine gassers is Valvoline HD Diesel dino oil w/ZDDP 4oz added at reach change and at 1/2 way between change schedule. Extra zinc is my classic gas engines' best friend!

I understand ZDDP id good for diesel too. Just don't use with catalytic converts - ruins em!
Old 03-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #190
Guru

Art,
I'm quite sure NAPA oil is Valvoline. I used that when in Alaska when I didn't use Castrol GTX. I use Castrol a lot as a carry over from motorcycling days. I read a test/article on oils in a motorcycle magazine and the Castrol scored right under the synthetics. This test was done w racing motorcycles running at racing speeds w very high temps. Must have been a good additive package. I never did run synthetic in my motorcycles.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #191
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
A diesel engine is a fairly difficult lubrication application, mainly because of the fuel and soot loading. Good oils will use TAN boosters to alleviate the acidity of the partially burnt acidic fuel, dispersants and detergents for soot control, and antioxidants for high temperature and longevity. The base oil is nearly irrelevant for the application. Use a great quality petroleum base oil with a high VI and change your oil and filter often.

PS: I like synthetics, just not for this application.

PPS: The synthetic oil used in aero-derivative gas turbines is typically an organic ester due to high contact temperatures. Completely different animal. Frame gas turbines and steam turbines often run regular hydro cracked petroleum base oil.
??? ...... they are superior to conventional oils even though conventional oil has improved the last few years and don't create the sludge so why not syn oil for marine use? Hard to find any data that dosent indicate the superiority of synthetic oil. Without base oil no lubricity and synthetic oil is again superior in this respect to conventional oil right? The only aspect of conventional oil I can find that is far better than syn is the price......what am I missing?
Old 03-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #192
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
??? ...... they are superior to conventional oils even though conventional oil has improved the last few years and don't create the sludge so why not syn oil for marine use? Hard to find any data that dosent indicate the superiority of synthetic oil. Without base oil no lubricity and synthetic oil is again superior in this respect to conventional oil right? The only aspect of conventional oil I can find that is far better than syn is the price......what am I missing?
Why isn't price good enough?

This whole discussion has amounted to....

If I drink cranberry juice ($5 a gallon) I'll live to be 105.

If I drink bottled water ($1 a gallon)...I'll live to 100

Assuming that I don't die of a million other things before I even reach 95...

So is it gonna matter what I drink????/
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #193
Guru

Actually Floyd it's even better (or worse depending on how you look at it) than the cranberry juice example.

Your boat engine will last so much longer than you or your boat if you use the syn you'll never be able to collect the benefits.

Beyond the occasional leaky seal comment that I don't think is worth mentioning everyone and every comment has supported the fact that syn is BETTER ............. but that knowledge is useless because we don't need it.

But it's fine to use.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #194
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I read recently that synthetic oils make up around 6% of all lubricating oil sales, of that only 30% is commercial, the rest is consumer.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #195
Guru

The people that need to be objective about it don't choose it.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:20 PM   #196
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
??? ...... what am I missing?
You are missing the support of the world's diesel engine manufacturers and commercial end users who would recommend and use syn in a heartbeat if the statements you made were fact.

As I suggested ten pages ago, supporters of syn for all user's diesel engines should post opinions on boatdiesel.com. I've neither seen or heard a peep yet on that Forum.

While you're at it read Cat's lubrication guidelines, recommended oil types and change intervals for Cat synthetic oil. If interested, google Chevron DELO 400 for a light read by the world's leading diesel oil supplier.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:45 PM   #197
Art
Guru

Quote:
I read recently that synthetic oils make up around 6% of all lubricating oil sales, of that only 30% is commercial, the rest is consumer.
NS - You have any other/additional info regarding that reading bout synthetic oil? Publisher or magazine the article was in...

Only seems logical that more than 1/3-minus of commercial users would be purchasing the overall oil market's 6% sales of syn oil. Also, I wonder why after some four decades availability to syn oil and much improvements that the commercial sector doesn’t jump all over it for use in most forms of equipment. I can see general consumers purchasing and using over 60% of current 6% syn sales... simply because consumers can be easily swayed by advertising.

I'm not saying that syn oil is bad at all - just trying to understand why those that should know (commercial users) seem not very impressed. Must be a reason behind this lag in syn oil sales to commercial fleets!?!?
Old 03-25-2013, 12:13 AM   #198
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Sorry, it was in a relatively recent tribology manual the name eludes me but it was something catchy like Tribology Series volume (insert favorite number here)...

We were looking in to running Royal Purple in a primary pulp refiner. I have a subscription to online engineering books at work. I'll try and look it up tomorrow.

The reason is $$$. It just doesn't make sense for most applications. Otherwise it would be used everywhere in industry.

FWIW, I ran synthetic lubricants in my vehicles in the winter when I lived in Central Alberta due to their low pour point and high VI. Of course it got down to the -40s in temperature. Made sense there.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:10 AM   #199
Art
Guru

Quote:
Sorry, it was in a relatively recent tribology manual the name eludes me but it was something catchy like Tribology Series volume (insert favorite number here)...

We were looking in to running Royal Purple in a primary pulp refiner. I have a subscription to online engineering books at work. I'll try and look it up tomorrow.

The reason is $$$. It just doesn't make sense for most applications. Otherwise it would be used everywhere in industry.

FWIW, I ran synthetic lubricants in my vehicles in the winter when I lived in Central Alberta due to their low pour point and high VI. Of course it got down to the -40s in temperature. Made sense there.
Thanks NS

BTW: Besides having twice lived in San Diego for over a year, traveled the country for several years, and currently living in San Francisco Bay area since 8/18/1984... I lived in NY for 18 years, Mid Maine for 6 years, 6,000 foot elevation in Sierra Nevada Mountains (60 miles from Tahoe) for 9 years. Owned - cars, PU trucks, snow mobiles, plow trucks, dump trucks, vans and other items with hydrocarbon fuel engines such as boats, motorcycles, and generators. I’ve run motors in + 115 F to - 35 F temps. Never used syn oil. Always able to start and run my engines with correct lube weights and coolant mix. Used block/oil warmers over night some times during real low temps.

Your mention: "The reason is $$$. It just doesn't make sense for most applications. Otherwise it would be used everywhere in industry."

Makes me want to ask... How could the relatively low additional overall expense of a better oil (i.e. syn oil) that seems to heads and tails outperform another oil (i.e. dino oil) ever stop most of the commercial industry from using the better synthetic oil. Syn oil's added expense should/would be far displaced by improved performance, reduced breakdown, and engine last ability. Sooo... seems to me that there must be another reason (a currently hidden reason??) why synthetic oils have not simply captured the oil market by a vast majority???

I'm trying to figure out if/why I should/might begin to use syn oil in my classic or newer gasoline engines.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:29 AM   #200
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Good stuff! Thanks Craig and Mike!

I found a local shop here in Raleigh to do an oil analysis for me and can turn it over in 24 hours. My next boat project(s) after we get back from our vacation (Playa Del Carmen) is annual engine maintenance. We'll see where we are with that. I'm excited and scared to find out what it will say.

One thing Craig is correct about is that I doubt I get all the oil out with the hand pump built onto the engine. However, I do plan on buying an evac pump this year to change the tranny (or is that gearbox) fluid. I will probably try to dig into the corners of the oil pan and do some sucky-sucky. I would bet there is still a quart in there and a pile of metal shaving.
Do tell? What shop?

http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote