Old 09-03-2013, 05:37 AM   #1
Guru

Any experience with Kiwigrip or Durabak?

Thinking of using one of these products to repaint my foredeck. I'd be interested in your thoughts before making my final choice.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
I used Durabak on a skiff deck in the mid to late 90's. I was less than impressed. The rubber pieces would crumble and separate. It was a common complaint at the time. Maybe it was my application error. I don't see the same complaints in the reviews now, so maybe the formula had been tweaked.
The KIWI grip looks promising as well.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Cape Coral,Fl
Vessel Name: Island Time
Vessel Model: 1990 Marine Trader DB
We've used Kiwigrip on two different boats and really like it. On our current boat, we had several places that had to be patched and Kiwigrip covered it very well. One of things I like about the application process is no sanding or prep needed. On a prior boat the non skid was completely worn smooth in places, and it looked great after application of Kiwigrip.

The most time consuming part of the whole process is taping the non-skid areas.

Gina
islandtimecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I'm a bit scared of screwing up the thick rubberized paints....so I'm just falling back to Interlux Interdeck...If I don't like it...when I have more time I might try the thick stuff.

Capt Chuck swears by the stuff you get at Cabelas/Bass Pro...Tuff Stuff or Tuff Coat...something like that. 2 boats and he's satisfied...also heard good things about Kiwi grip except the price.

Also have heard horror stories about them all including glue down stuff...that's why I'm going simple and easy to sand down if it doesn't please me.

Last winter I just had the Interlux Pre-Coat thinking I would get to topcoating and non-skidding on my trip south...never did...the stuff lasted after 4 months of cruising and was pretty non-skid in itself....probably wouldn't use it as that but it did surprise me.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #5
FF
Guru

Durabeck,

As no skid , fine , as cheapo repair for leaky teaky decks , not good.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
Guru

Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards Kiwigrip but both products look good.

I'm wondering if it's easy to clean or if it traps dirt.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoman View Post
Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards Kiwigrip but both products look good.

I'm wondering if it's easy to clean or if it traps dirt.
A friend used Kiwigrip on his forward deck & was very pleased with the results.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
My 83 albin had durabak put on by the po over teak. Not the greatest looking but completly waterproof. I have no deck leaks at all. Not sure i would put it on if it could be done over.
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
Guru

Most of the truck liner type materials are great till they fail...then they are a royal pain to remove and recoat...they have failed on just about every job I have seen...2 of my trucks...several boats in the fleet I work for and several of the trucks I have seen with that kind of coating...everything from dura crap to rhino liner to a few others. Some have luck with the coatings..but if you don't you'll be sorry.

I just did my deck today with Interlux Interdeck...took about an hour to tape off and another hour to roll on. The deck was teak...removed, reglassed, a coat of Interlux precoat then one coat of Brightside then the interdeck...looks great so far.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #10

City: Erie PA
Vessel Name: Endless Endeavor
Vessel Model: Custom
I have had softtread paint on my deck for 10 years I recoat every 3 to 4 years goes on easy. Water clean up and we have used it on dock ramps and are surprise how long it lasted.
funangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #11
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I just did my deck today with Interlux Interdeck...took about an hour to tape off and another hour to roll on. The deck was teak...removed, reglassed, a coat of Interlux precoat then one coat of Brightside then the interdeck...looks great so far.
Psneeld,

That is exactly the process I plan to use in my Fales. The cabin sole is gelcoat with patterned, contrasting nonskid molded in. I have almost completed the interior rehab and saved it for last. I am worried about a surface that is too abrasive because I seem to spend quite a bit of time on my hands and knees maintaining the boat. I also want something that will be relatively easy to keep clean.

In your opinion, do you think it would be suitable for interior use? Did you by chance take any pics of the work?

Many thanks.

LarryM
m/v Boomarang
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:10 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
Psneeld,

That is exactly the process I plan to use in my Fales. The cabin sole is gelcoat with patterned, contrasting nonskid molded in. I have almost completed the interior rehab and saved it for last. I am worried about a surface that is too abrasive because I seem to spend quite a bit of time on my hands and knees maintaining the boat. I also want something that will be relatively easy to keep clean.

In your opinion, do you think it would be suitable for interior use? Did you by chance take any pics of the work?

Many thanks.

LarryM
m/v Boomarang
Don't see why you couldn't use it in your interior...I was impressed with it's consistency and ease to apply....
Attached Thumbnails
Photo156.jpg  
Old 09-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #13
FF
Guru

A very simple method of creating factory look no skid is,

sand and prep the NS area and outline the specific area with a pencil line.

Obtain COTTON coarse pattern mosquito net , cut it to fit the outline and iron it flat.

Use a thin coat of 2 part epoxy paint and lay the cotton into the paint by the marks.

After an hour roll a second light coat ( do not fill the mesh) and the cotton will absorb the paint , leaving a fine looking surface .EZ to clean.

Easy to repair as only sanding paint off is required. NOT sanding off sand.

With flight deck flint embedded in epoxy ,on LUCY, I only wish I could use this technique and go bare foot about the boat.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #14
Guru

I completed my project last weekend and I am happy with the results. Decided to go with Kiwigrip. The product is pretty thick (pretty much a past). With a bit of practice I found that the best way to apply it is with a notched trowel. This ensures consistency in thickness. Then you roll with the special roller a few times. The more pressure you apply the more the antiskid will be aggressive. I did sections of approx. 2' x 2' at a time. It's best to work with someone as one can apply the product and the other one rolls. Curious to see how well it will clean and stay nice next summer.
Attached Thumbnails
image-1693502607.jpg   image-679776138.jpg   image-4101695720.jpg  
Old 10-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #15
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
There is a racing sailboat close to me that has Kiwigrip on the deck. The owners are no longer in CA and I don't know how old it is but it still looks good but weathered. Some of the edges are broken away in spots. Overall, it looks good but there isn't any shine.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote