Antique Seacocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Papafu

Vessel Name
Ment Tu Be
Vessel Make
Albin 36 Double Cabin
My 81 Albin has seacocks I have never seen before. Look nothing like the Grocos on my former trawler. They have handles but odd looking ones. I tried closing one but was unwilling to force it. Anyone have the old stlye SC? How do you operate them?

Can you describe them?
There are ones work with a cone instead of a ball.

These can be lapped and put back into service. Of course the boat would need to be out of the water to do this.

They are most likely solid bronze they work like a ball valve only a cone turns in the recess.

To lapp them just use some emery cloth.
sd

Last edited:
Some will have a T handle.Must loosen it to work.

These have a rubber piece that does the opening and closing , then the T must be tightened.

The tapered cone bronxe sea cocks are vasty superior to the SS ball valve stuff sold today .

Mostly because its easy to reseal them with a few min of effort with valve grinding compound.

Sadly you have to haul first.

Many cruisers will remove the 1/8 winterizing plug install a Zerk (grease) fitting, and shoot a shot of WP grease in both sides.

Makes them smooth enough to be cable operated , great for nervous boaters., or infrequent haulouts.

My 81 Albin has seacocks I have never seen before. Look nothing like the Grocos on my former trawler. They have handles but odd looking ones. I tried closing one but was unwilling to force it. Anyone have the old stlye SC? How do you operate them?

I have an 88 Albin and most of mine were frozen in whatever position they were in when I bought the boat. I took them all out and put in new cause I wasn't going to bother...I don't think they are the cone type or I would have tried to restore at least a few of them as I eliminated 7 through hulls and only leaving 4 (didn't think I could get 4 working out of the original 11).

I'll be glad to sell you my old ones if you think you can use them for spares..

Visited the website suggested (Compass Marine) and copied the document. I head back to the trawler on Monday and should be able to work them and/or service them as suggested. Thanks all for your input.

One of the first things I did 7 years ago when I bought my 83 Albin was to remove all the old seacocks and install new ones.
I don't like old stuff under the water.

I did the same... the old ones sold like hotcakes on E-Bay. Never underestimate the value of removed parts. I have sold anchors, a compass, thru hulls, strainers, toilets, etc. There is always a market for equipment.

." the old ones sold like hotcakes on E-Bay."

If there not pink from a poor electric system . most can be lapped with a dab of valve grinding compound to function like new.

Pink ones can be wire brushed clean and converted to lamps.

." the old ones sold like hotcakes on E-Bay."

If there not pink from a poor electric system . most can be lapped with a dab of valve grinding compound to function like new.

Pink ones can be wire brushed clean and converted to lamps.

However, the "novice" doesn't know that a little pink is a disaster.:banghead:

I sold mine for scrap value. Me sleeps good.

I have an 88 Albin and most of mine were frozen in whatever position they were in when I bought the boat. I took them all out and put in new cause I wasn't going to bother...I don't think they are the cone type or I would have tried to restore at least a few of them as I eliminated 7 through hulls and only leaving 4 (didn't think I could get 4 working out of the original 11).

I'll be glad to sell you my old ones if you think you can use them for spares..

psneeld - Please pardon my ignorance! How does a "spare" seacock work out? I place the following tongue in cheek! ;)

Situation: While at drift, bottom fishing miles from shore atop a gently rolling sea, Admiral calmly announces... Gee honey I hear a gurgling in the salon what do you think that may be? Attentive Captain immediately goes into action listening closely. Soon he realizes it seems the gurgle sound is coming from engine compartment. Thrusting open floor hatches the sound get louder and upon observation the Captain announces, damn I knew I should have changed the original through-hull seacocks and put new throughout this 35 year old boat... the port engine’s cooling water seacock in that hard to reach area alongside the muffler has broken off, weakened from too much electrolysis and resulting corrosion I guess?? Knew I never should have placed my foot for a push off against it when I serviced the trany this morning. But, never fear I have some used spare seacocks in my parts draw! I’ll just rip out the old, broken off seacock and install a spare! Sure hope the 35 year old bilge pumps are still working well. Come to think of it... can I install a new seacock without hauling the boat?? Hummm water in bilge is getting pretty deep. Baby, turn on the SS and check ch 16... think we need it - NOW! :eek:

Just wondering! LOL Art :D

psneeld - Please pardon my ignorance! How does a "spare" seacock work out? I place the following tongue in cheek! ;)

Situation: While at drift, bottom fishing miles from shore atop a gently rolling sea, Admiral calmly announces... Gee honey I hear a gurgling in the salon what do you think that may be? Attentive Captain immediately goes into action listening closely. Soon he realizes it seems the gurgle sound is coming from engine compartment. Thrusting open floor hatches the sound get louder and upon observation the Captain announces, damn I knew I should have changed the original through-hull seacocks and put new throughout this 35 year old boat... the port engine’s cooling water seacock in that hard to reach area alongside the muffler has broken off, weakened from too much electrolysis and resulting corrosion I guess?? Knew I never should have placed my foot for a push off against it when I serviced the trany this morning. But, never fear I have some used spare seacocks in my parts draw! I’ll just rip out the old, broken off seacock and install a spare! Sure hope the 35 year old bilge pumps are still working well. Come to think of it... can I install a new seacock without hauling the boat?? Hummm water in bilge is getting pretty deep. Baby, turn on the SS and check ch 16... think we need it - NOW! :eek:

Just wondering! LOL Art :D

You've never done an emergency install underway? You haven't lived till you have done one and the captain refuses to slow to under 5 knots when you are underwater and tring to hang on with one hand and install/caulk with the other!:eek:

Guess I should have said spare parts....or just parts...somewhere in my USCG past I think spares was used too broadly....:D

Guess I should have said spare parts....or just parts...

You mean garage clutter, attic clutter, shop clutter, basement clutter. You just know that if you "save it for when you need it", you'll never be able to find it when you do need it. And after searching for that spare part for a week or two, you go out and buy a new one, only to locate the spare part when you go to put up the old one you just replaced. :banghead:

You mean garage clutter, attic clutter, shop clutter, basement clutter. You just know that if you "save it for when you need it", you'll never be able to find it when you do need it. And after searching for that spare part for a week or two, you go out and buy a new one, only to locate the spare part when you go to put up the old one you just replaced. :banghead:

Or.... as the OP was concerned about an inop one and half the advice was to rebuild versus replace...maybe having some parts till the rebuild process was completed or start and then buy some might be a good idea. Knowing where some of those old parts might come in handy.

Some of us do better about keeping useful spares around I guess...:socool:

"I’ll just rip out the old, broken off seacock and install a spare!"

A properly installed sea cock is BOLTED in place , sorta hard to do underway.

A real seacock would have to be very pink for a decade to loose so much that it can not be stomped on.

Usually the thru hull will also be pink and perhaps noticed when the boat is hauled every few years.

A thru hull with a ball valve is NOT a seacock , it is a danger used within a few ft of the waterline.

"I’ll just rip out the old, broken off seacock and install a spare!"

A properly installed sea cock is BOLTED in place , sorta hard to do underway.

A real seacock would have to be very pink for a decade to loose so much that it can not be stomped on.

Usually the thru hull will also be pink and perhaps noticed when the boat is hauled every few years.

A thru hull with a ball valve is NOT a seacock , it is a danger used within a few ft of the waterline.

Fred - My "... tongue in cheek! Situation:" (post # 11) is a joke, just a joke in all it said or implied. :lol: :dance: - Art :thumb:

(post # 11) is a joke, just a joke in all it said or implied

however there ARE folks out there with underwater holes in the boat , just waiting for an errant foot or shifting tool box.

No electrical bilge setup will handle a 1 1/2 hole 6 inches below the water , even 4 pumps wont keep up.

Back
Top Bottom