Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
Member
 
City: Middle River, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Ment Tu Be
Vessel Model: Albin 36 Double Cabin
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 24
Antique Seacocks

My 81 Albin has seacocks I have never seen before. Look nothing like the Grocos on my former trawler. They have handles but odd looking ones. I tried closing one but was unwilling to force it. Anyone have the old stlye SC? How do you operate them?
__________________
Advertisement

Papafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
Guru
 
skipperdude's Avatar
 
City: Whittier AK
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,147
Can you describe them?
There are ones work with a cone instead of a ball.

These can be lapped and put back into service. Of course the boat would need to be out of the water to do this.

They are most likely solid bronze they work like a ball valve only a cone turns in the recess.

To lapp them just use some emery cloth.
sd
__________________

__________________
If you can't repair it maybe it shouldn't be on the boat
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,531
Some will have a T handle.Must loosen it to work.

These have a rubber piece that does the opening and closing , then the T must be tightened.

The tapered cone bronxe sea cocks are vasty superior to the SS ball valve stuff sold today .

Mostly because its easy to reseal them with a few min of effort with valve grinding compound.

Sadly you have to haul first.

Many cruisers will remove the 1/8 winterizing plug install a Zerk (grease) fitting, and shoot a shot of WP grease in both sides.

Makes them smooth enough to be cable operated , great for nervous boaters., or infrequent haulouts.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
Guru
 
djmarchand's Avatar
 
City: East Greenwich, RI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,882
Here is a link to a site that has a photo essay about how to service the tapered cone seacocks (and other interesting boat projects).

Compass Marine "How To" Articles Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com

I agree, they are superior to the new ball valve seacocks. But probably more expensive. I have them on my 30 year old Cape Dory and they are still going strong.

David
djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papafu View Post
My 81 Albin has seacocks I have never seen before. Look nothing like the Grocos on my former trawler. They have handles but odd looking ones. I tried closing one but was unwilling to force it. Anyone have the old stlye SC? How do you operate them?
I have an 88 Albin and most of mine were frozen in whatever position they were in when I bought the boat. I took them all out and put in new cause I wasn't going to bother...I don't think they are the cone type or I would have tried to restore at least a few of them as I eliminated 7 through hulls and only leaving 4 (didn't think I could get 4 working out of the original 11).

I'll be glad to sell you my old ones if you think you can use them for spares..
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Member
 
City: Middle River, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Ment Tu Be
Vessel Model: Albin 36 Double Cabin
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 24
Visited the website suggested (Compass Marine) and copied the document. I head back to the trawler on Monday and should be able to work them and/or service them as suggested. Thanks all for your input.
Papafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
Guru
 
jleonard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,740
One of the first things I did 7 years ago when I bought my 83 Albin was to remove all the old seacocks and install new ones.
I don't like old stuff under the water.
__________________
Jay Leonard
Attitude Adjustment
40 Albin
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:08 AM   #8
Guru
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,716
I did the same... the old ones sold like hotcakes on E-Bay. Never underestimate the value of removed parts. I have sold anchors, a compass, thru hulls, strainers, toilets, etc. There is always a market for equipment.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:36 AM   #9
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,531
." the old ones sold like hotcakes on E-Bay."

If there not pink from a poor electric system . most can be lapped with a dab of valve grinding compound to function like new.

Pink ones can be wire brushed clean and converted to lamps.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
Guru
 
jleonard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
." the old ones sold like hotcakes on E-Bay."

If there not pink from a poor electric system . most can be lapped with a dab of valve grinding compound to function like new.

Pink ones can be wire brushed clean and converted to lamps.
However, the "novice" doesn't know that a little pink is a disaster.

I sold mine for scrap value. Me sleeps good.
__________________
Jay Leonard
Attitude Adjustment
40 Albin
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #11
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I have an 88 Albin and most of mine were frozen in whatever position they were in when I bought the boat. I took them all out and put in new cause I wasn't going to bother...I don't think they are the cone type or I would have tried to restore at least a few of them as I eliminated 7 through hulls and only leaving 4 (didn't think I could get 4 working out of the original 11).

I'll be glad to sell you my old ones if you think you can use them for spares..
psneeld - Please pardon my ignorance! How does a "spare" seacock work out? I place the following tongue in cheek!

Situation: While at drift, bottom fishing miles from shore atop a gently rolling sea, Admiral calmly announces... Gee honey I hear a gurgling in the salon what do you think that may be? Attentive Captain immediately goes into action listening closely. Soon he realizes it seems the gurgle sound is coming from engine compartment. Thrusting open floor hatches the sound get louder and upon observation the Captain announces, damn I knew I should have changed the original through-hull seacocks and put new throughout this 35 year old boat... the port engineís cooling water seacock in that hard to reach area alongside the muffler has broken off, weakened from too much electrolysis and resulting corrosion I guess?? Knew I never should have placed my foot for a push off against it when I serviced the trany this morning. But, never fear I have some used spare seacocks in my parts draw! Iíll just rip out the old, broken off seacock and install a spare! Sure hope the 35 year old bilge pumps are still working well. Come to think of it... can I install a new seacock without hauling the boat?? Hummm water in bilge is getting pretty deep. Baby, turn on the SS and check ch 16... think we need it - NOW!

Just wondering! LOL Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #12
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
psneeld - Please pardon my ignorance! How does a "spare" seacock work out? I place the following tongue in cheek!

Situation: While at drift, bottom fishing miles from shore atop a gently rolling sea, Admiral calmly announces... Gee honey I hear a gurgling in the salon what do you think that may be? Attentive Captain immediately goes into action listening closely. Soon he realizes it seems the gurgle sound is coming from engine compartment. Thrusting open floor hatches the sound get louder and upon observation the Captain announces, damn I knew I should have changed the original through-hull seacocks and put new throughout this 35 year old boat... the port engineís cooling water seacock in that hard to reach area alongside the muffler has broken off, weakened from too much electrolysis and resulting corrosion I guess?? Knew I never should have placed my foot for a push off against it when I serviced the trany this morning. But, never fear I have some used spare seacocks in my parts draw! Iíll just rip out the old, broken off seacock and install a spare! Sure hope the 35 year old bilge pumps are still working well. Come to think of it... can I install a new seacock without hauling the boat?? Hummm water in bilge is getting pretty deep. Baby, turn on the SS and check ch 16... think we need it - NOW!

Just wondering! LOL Art
You've never done an emergency install underway? You haven't lived till you have done one and the captain refuses to slow to under 5 knots when you are underwater and tring to hang on with one hand and install/caulk with the other!

Guess I should have said spare parts....or just parts...somewhere in my USCG past I think spares was used too broadly....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
Guru
 
City: Georgia
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Guess I should have said spare parts....or just parts...
You mean garage clutter, attic clutter, shop clutter, basement clutter. You just know that if you "save it for when you need it", you'll never be able to find it when you do need it. And after searching for that spare part for a week or two, you go out and buy a new one, only to locate the spare part when you go to put up the old one you just replaced.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #14
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
You mean garage clutter, attic clutter, shop clutter, basement clutter. You just know that if you "save it for when you need it", you'll never be able to find it when you do need it. And after searching for that spare part for a week or two, you go out and buy a new one, only to locate the spare part when you go to put up the old one you just replaced.
Or.... as the OP was concerned about an inop one and half the advice was to rebuild versus replace...maybe having some parts till the rebuild process was completed or start and then buy some might be a good idea. Knowing where some of those old parts might come in handy.

Some of us do better about keeping useful spares around I guess...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:15 AM   #15
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,531
"I’ll just rip out the old, broken off seacock and install a spare!"

A properly installed sea cock is BOLTED in place , sorta hard to do underway.

A real seacock would have to be very pink for a decade to loose so much that it can not be stomped on.

Usually the thru hull will also be pink and perhaps noticed when the boat is hauled every few years.

A thru hull with a ball valve is NOT a seacock , it is a danger used within a few ft of the waterline.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #16
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Iíll just rip out the old, broken off seacock and install a spare!"

A properly installed sea cock is BOLTED in place , sorta hard to do underway.

A real seacock would have to be very pink for a decade to loose so much that it can not be stomped on.

Usually the thru hull will also be pink and perhaps noticed when the boat is hauled every few years.

A thru hull with a ball valve is NOT a seacock , it is a danger used within a few ft of the waterline.
Fred - My "... tongue in cheek! Situation:" (post # 11) is a joke, just a joke in all it said or implied. - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #17
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,531
(post # 11) is a joke, just a joke in all it said or implied

however there ARE folks out there with underwater holes in the boat , just waiting for an errant foot or shifting tool box.

No electrical bilge setup will handle a 1 1/2 hole 6 inches below the water , even 4 pumps wont keep up.
__________________

FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012