Annoying Film on old Plexiglas Windows - Any Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AKMary

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Kingfisher
Vessel Make
1974 Meridian Yachts Pilothouse 48
My 38 yo Plexiglas pilothouse windows are in fine shape, other than the annoying film that's coating them on the outside. I don't know if it's from an old commercial application or if the previous owners put something on them.

Regardless, we've tried to clean/polish/remove it to no avail. When the sun shines directly on them, the windows look cloudy. No other windows on the boat have this issue and they are all the same age & material.

I do not have windshield wipers and am thinking that a Rain-X type product may have been applied and that's the problem. The pattern of the film looks almost like oil on water.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited:
My 38 yo Plexiglas pilothouse windows are in fine shape, other than the annoying film that's coating them on the outside.
The thead has the word "polycarbonate" in it but you say your windows are "plexiglass." They are two different polymers. Which do you have? My guess is that you have "plexiglass" and the film you are seeing is "crazing," possibly caused by an attempt to clean them with a glass cleaner that contains ammonia. :blush:
The Best Way to Clean Plexiglass | eHow

http://www.ehow.com/how_8636296_fix-cloudy-plexiglass.html

Last edited:
Yes - my windows are plexiglass!

Yes - my windows are indeed plexiglass. I couldn't figure out how to edit the title of my post. :(

Thank you for the links and for the tip not to use a product containing ammonia. I'll be sure to post a follow-up if I have any luck finding a solution to my problem.

Back
Top Bottom