Old 02-28-2017, 02:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Titusville,Fl
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: 41' Defever
Anchor Locker

Hi to all,
I'm on the hard now but should splash in march. Anyway, we dropped the anchor for paint and inspection and sense I'm new at this I was wondering how or do you keep the anchor locker dry when bringing up the anchor. Or just keeping it dry in general.

Thanks
Gordon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:48 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
The anchor locker can't be kept dry when you bring up a wet rode. Every anchor locker that I have had has a drain. This allows excess water to drain out, and more importantly, allows the water you rinsed your rode down with to drain out. My feeling is a chain that is sitting in mud and debris will be my ch less prone to corrosion.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:13 PM   #3
FF
Guru

With a rope rode is chosen many folks will simply figure 8 the line on deck.

Dries nicely and is ready to deploy with no snarl hassles.

After the trip, rinse it dockside , let it dry , and feed it below.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:59 PM   #4
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
We had a stinking anchor locker w our last boat.
Have'nt used the Willard locker ever.
Stow in a box on the foredeck.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:25 PM   #5
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I don't get it. My anchor lockers have never had an odor. Even my sailboat without a wash down pump never had an issue. We would just rinse out the anchor locker when back at the dock. Maybe I have just been lucky with the designs that I have had.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:41 PM   #6
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
I think that a washdown pump and washing the upcoming rode and anchor would be a very good thing. We had a flush Maxwell winch on the sailboat and it would direct the hosed-but-wet rode into the chain locker. No smell, no overboard drain; it drained into the bilge. Our Revel has an antediluvian electric winch of the sort you have to tail so the rode ends up all around ones feet. Can't wait 'till I install the washdown and at least save myself using the bucket. There's no way the rudely piled rode can go astray on the well-bulwarked foredeck so I let it dry there.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:06 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Our washdown pump runs on 240v,lots of power to clean chain before it goes down the hole. Our previous boat had no washdown pump when we got it, I found inches of mud in the chain locker, blocked drain too. Got in there with the power washer(you could stand in the locker!),discovered 2" diamond rubber mat in the years of mud,and blasted it all clean.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:15 PM   #8
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
I don't have a drain on my Willard, and have never been able to accumulate any water in the bottom of the locker either by rain, spray, or retrieving the anchor. I think the windlass squeezes out so much water out of the nylon going through the chain wheel there simply isn't enough to run into the locker.

I never have had any issues with it stinking either, but then again I anchor pretty much exclusively and use the anchor at least twice a day.

I was going to put a drain in the locker, but after reading about water being forced into the locker in heavy seas, and never having any in the locker anyway, I quit worrying about it.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #9
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Mine has a drain, and I put Dri-deck tiles, cut to fit, on the bottom. Chain rode
Attached Thumbnails
chain locker tiles.JPG  
Old 03-02-2017, 10:52 PM   #10
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Our washdown pump runs on 240v,lots of power to clean chain before it goes down the hole..
Hi Bruce, can you provide a link to the pump you use?

50m of chain coming up 3 or 4 times a week for us, 1/2 the time with incredibly sticky mud taking a long time to clean with a 24v 15lpm pump.

Thanks
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:48 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
I don't have a drain on my Willard, and have never been able to accumulate any water in the bottom of the locker either by rain, spray, or retrieving the anchor. I think the windlass squeezes out so much water out of the nylon going through the chain wheel there simply isn't enough to run into the locker.

I never have had any issues with it stinking either, but then again I anchor pretty much exclusively and use the anchor at least twice a day.

I was going to put a drain in the locker, but after reading about water being forced into the locker in heavy seas, and never having any in the locker anyway, I quit worrying about it.
I could have written this post!! I agree 100%.

I wonder if the geometry, rode tension and distance from fwd roller to gypsy might somehow encourage the shedding of water and debris from the rode as it's retrieved. I anchor in a combo of fresh and saltwater in mostly muddy bottoms.

When it's real sticky mud, I need to use the washdown hose. It's obvious from the mud that starts to get flung onto the anchor pulpit. In normal conditions, the retrieval action seems to fling most of the debris overboard before it can make it into the boat. In those cases, I don't use the washdown.

I've never had a bad smell from my locker. I have no drain or Dri-dek tiles, but I've briefly considered both. Since it's not a problem, it gains no attention on my Priority List so it's not even a contender any longer.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:45 AM   #12
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I had a chance to buy some stainless chain at a good price many years ago. I thought it would just look cool. Turns out mud doesn't stick to it.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:02 AM   #13
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon B View Post
Hi to all,
I'm on the hard now but should splash in march. Anyway, we dropped the anchor for paint and inspection and sense I'm new at this I was wondering how or do you keep the anchor locker dry when bringing up the anchor. Or just keeping it dry in general.

Thanks
You don't need to keep it dry and you can't leave it dry unless, as someone suggested, you lay your rode out on the deck and let it air dry. And that doesn't work if it's raining. That seems like way too much effort to me. I probably wouldn't anchor if it meant that much trouble.

Most (I would think all) anchor lockers have a drain in the bottom that leads overboard. Properly installed, little, if any seawater will make it uphill into the locker and if it does, it will just drain back out.

Personally, I just pull the anchor up with the windlass and the rode automatically goes into the locker wet. If it's really muddy, I'll wash it on the way up. No problem, no smell, no accumulation.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:16 AM   #14
Guru

Agree with WesK. My anchor locker has a louvered door for access from in the cabin. The louvers give it some ventilation as well.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone

I'm definitely going to put in "Dri-deck tiles", and figure a way to get more ventilation.
Thanks again
Gordo
Old 03-03-2017, 01:45 PM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
We haul ours in and stow it in this open foredeck area behind the bulk head . Most of the time it stays there . If we really want to tidy things up we feed into the anchor locker by hand after it's washed down and dried .Also there are times when she wants to tidy up that area while underway , which is fine with me
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2461.jpg   IMG_2587.jpg  
Old 03-03-2017, 07:59 PM   #17
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Nice forecastle!
Old 03-04-2017, 09:37 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Nice forecastle!

Very nice indeed.
Gordo
Old 03-04-2017, 10:07 AM   #19
Guru

Come on guys, that's the stern.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:22 PM   #20
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Hi Bruce, can you provide a link to the pump you use?

50m of chain coming up 3 or 4 times a week for us, 1/2 the time with incredibly sticky mud taking a long time to clean with a 24v 15lpm pump.

Thanks
Bruce?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote