Old 11-06-2019, 12:05 PM   #1
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Amazing 20V Cordless Drill 2.5LBS

My new tool for the boat is this Dewalt Cordless Drill that is so small (7”), runs 1/2” drills, torque settings, excellent trigger control, has a Hammer Drill setting, comes with two batteries and a bag. I charged the batteries when I got the drill two months ago. Been working off the first charged battery since. Over an hour work time and this morning it was twisting 1/4” galvanized hurricane shutter screws in half! Be conservative on the torque setting to start and work your way up. Did I mention the drill with battery weighs 2.5lbs? And it has a work area LED. Amazon $129.00. Model #DCD709
Love this little sucker.Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	96147
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	96146  

Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: South Louisiana
I have one just like it an love it.
For Christmas ask for it's big brother the impact DCF885C1

I find i use the impact more than the drill

latravcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:36 PM   #3
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Looks excellent. I have a bunch of Ryobi cordless tools but I did breakdown and buy a DeWalt framing nailer so I have a battery and charger. Oh boy! An excuse to buy another tool!
Old 11-06-2019, 01:41 PM   #4
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I like Dewalt tools, but went to Rigid tools because of the lifetime warranty including the batteries. They don’t have as big a selection but I was tired of buying expensive batteries for my Dewalt tools. So I went with Rigid and so far have been very happy with them. One of the sets I bought included a 1/2” impact driver that I thought I would never use but I used it to drive some 7” x 3/8” lag screws into some LVL beams and it was awesome.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:43 PM   #5

City: Lakeland
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Pretty impressive. I have the previous model DeWalt drill and love it.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:23 PM   #6

City: Marinette, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I have the previous model as well. I heard a "thunk" as I was driving down the road and realized I had left the drill on my car roof. No real damage to the drill but I couldn't find the battery in the tall grass. A single replacement is almost as expensive as a new drill. Not quite the $129 that this one costs but close enough to allow me to rationalize the purchase of a new drill,

(And a new battery for the old drill)

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:22 AM   #7
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
I, too, tired of replacing the standard Dewalt NiCad battery. Changed to a Dewalt Lithium. Problem solved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I like Dewalt tools, but went to Rigid tools because of the lifetime warranty including the batteries. They don’t have as big a selection but I was tired of buying expensive batteries for my Dewalt tools. So I went with Rigid and so far have been very happy with them. One of the sets I bought included a 1/2” impact driver that I thought I would never use but I used it to drive some 7” x 3/8” lag screws into some LVL beams and it was awesome.
catalinajack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:36 AM   #8

City: Raymond NH
Vessel Name: Mischief Managed II
Vessel Model: 1992 Tollycraft 44 CPMY
I am a big fan of Dewalt stuff and I have a huge collection of their 18V tools. I bought a Dewalt kit that includes a pair of 20 volt LI batteries and an adapter that makes them work on the 18V tools and while not quite as convenient as using 20V tools, it's a great way to extend the life of the 18V gear, which is seemingly indestructible... If you are putting together a tool collection on a budget, you can find fantastic deals on used 18V tools on craigslist, and modernize them with the 20V conversion kit.

One of my favorite boat tools is a Dewalt cordless right angle drill. It has been incredibly handy in tight spots. I use a grinder a lot more than I thought I ever would too, and would be lost without it.
Mischief Managed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:41 AM   #9
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Yup. Li ion seems to be the way to go. I have several higher end 1/2" drills with dead NiCad's (Rigid, Bosch and Milwakee). The Bosch is practically brand new, little used but dead batteries.

It's completely stupid to buy new batteries when they cost 3/4 the price of a complete new drill kit.

I've switched over to DeWalt drills myself and I can also attest to the battery strength and the ability to hold a charge, seemingly forever, both in use and in storage.

Our son, who is a professional builder/cabinet maker has probably every DeWalt model tool that he uses on a daily basis and he's the one that converted me. He admits they are not the best BUT, for him, the best bang for the $.

Too bad you can't buy Li ions for the old NiCad equipment...Or can you?
Old 11-07-2019, 08:23 AM   #10
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Yes, you can. Dewalt makes an 18-volt lithium that slides right on to my drill that was originally equipped with a NiCad. It is smaller but works just fine. Milwaukee also makes a nice line of 18-volt tools that use Lithium batteries. I use a Milwaukee right angle drill with a sailing winch adapter to lift my dinghy onto the stern davits. Very, vert powerful drill. It will break a wrist if not careful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Yup. Li ion seems to be the way to go. I have several higher end 1/2" drills with dead NiCad's (Rigid, Bosch and Milwakee). The Bosch is practically brand new, little used but dead batteries.

It's completely stupid to buy new batteries when they cost 3/4 the price of a complete new drill kit.

I've switched over to DeWalt drills myself and I can also attest to the battery strength and the ability to hold a charge, seemingly forever, both in use and in storage.

Our son, who is a professional builder/cabinet maker has probably every DeWalt model tool that he uses on a daily basis and he's the one that converted me. He admits they are not the best BUT, for him, the best bang for the $.

Too bad you can't buy Li ions for the old NiCad equipment...Or can you?
catalinajack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:42 AM   #11
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. c. Thanks for that. Any idea if Bosch does the same for their 12v drills? I've got 2 of them...again, almost new. My Rigid and Milwakee (both 18v) are near the end of their useful lives, I expect. They were hand me downs from #1 son and as mentioned above, he really uses his tools.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:07 AM   #12
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I bought a Ryobi drill/driver more than ten years ago. It came with a NiCad battery. The NiCads would last about a year. Lithium became available and now I have a battery that is eight years old and going strong.

That damn first drill / driver won’t die so I can buy one of the new brushless ones.

I have about twenty five Ryobi tools that all take the same battery. The only one that has died is a stapler. It had repaid its cost when I rescreened my porch.