Old 02-28-2015, 08:40 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Martyr, a manufacturer, says not to mix:

http://www.martyranodes.com/content/...m%20Anodes.pdf
Donít Mix Anode Types
. If you install different anode materials like zinc and aluminum, the more active anode (aluminum) will spend part of its effort protecting the less active metal (zinc). This will reduce the overall protection that you are getting. A classic mistake is adding a zinc transom anode to a Sterndrive equipped with aluminum anodes. Transom anodes are connected through the bonding system so make sure you install aluminum replacements.

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:07 AM   #22

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Wine Down
Vessel Model: Riviera 35' FB
Hmm.. gets confusing after digesting the graphic Fstbttms posted.

As my raw water system will be full of fresh now (since installing the fresh water flush system) - it would seem that neither zinc nor Al anodes will be effective in the heat exchanger and oil cooler. Seems Mg is the ones I shold be using. Of course, they will be no good when the boat is in use - but effective whislt it sits in it's berth (which is the majority of the time - even during our most active boating months).

So do I just use the Al (just in the raw water system OR all over), keep the Zn or go for Mg?

What to do? Opinions?

Bloody hell - you think you solve one issue, just to find an even more complicated decision.

Opinions?

shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:58 AM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Charleston to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Adirondack
Vessel Model: Monk 36
THERE'S REALLY NO POINT IN USING ZINC ANYMORE FOR EITHER, NOW THAT ALUMINUM IS AVAILABLE. Sorry about caps. West Marine still doesn't carry them in the stores, but recommends using them. Most boaters still use zinc because their forefathers came across the Atlantic with them on their paddles and see no reason to change.
jjanacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:02 AM   #24
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
I remember reading that if you use Al anodes, they need to ALL be swapped. Don't recall the specifics, but I can try and look it up.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:10 AM   #25

City: Warwick, RI
Vessel Name: Susan Helena
Vessel Model: Albin40
Shufti, Al should be fine because you really don't need much protection once the HE has been flushed and full of fresh water. If there is still brackish water in there you will be protected. Zn will get messed up unless in salt water.
mike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:26 AM   #26

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Wine Down
Vessel Model: Riviera 35' FB
Thanks guys for the responses. I also got a response from Tony Athens at boat diesel saying to not worry about it and stick with zinc.

As I've just put the boat back in the water last week with all new Zn anodes (just days before reading all about these Aliminium anodes which I'd never even heard of before), I'll stick with the Zn for now, and change to Al when I do the next bum clean.
shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:46 AM   #27
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
In salt water, what is the advantage of using Al over Zn. How about those with steel vessels where the builder insists on Zn. How about those with engine, hydraulic and cooling system Al pieces where the builder insists on Zn.

Lots going on here and not wise to assume one hat fits all, possibly damaging in fact.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:00 PM   #28
TF Site Team

FYI: Here's an Al heat exchanger anode from our FL SP135 after 185 hours and 4 plus months. I like that the anode has a wire through the center so when it's removed, it doesn't break off. I Know could go to a smaller diameter anode but now that we are 100% Al why not use the specified size?

I did pull the cover to see what was there. Some debris but it not require cleaning the face of the tubes but I will probably do it every other anode change to be safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	011.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	41860  
Old 07-08-2015, 06:26 PM   #29
Guru

City: kemah
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjanacek View Post
because their forefathers came across the Atlantic with them on their paddles
I know this is a somber subject, but.... hahahahahahahahahahaha...
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:41 PM   #30
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
With regards to the chart in post #22...I didn't realize the sacrificial anodes were alloys. Just what alloys are they and how much of the "active" ingredient do they contain? Could one machine an aluminum anode out of rod stock?
Old 07-08-2015, 08:12 PM   #31
TF Site Team

RTF: Some of our Al anodes are made by Performance Metals, (thanks jjanack for the reference). Here's what they say:

"The aluminum alloy used in Navalloy anodes is very different from normal aluminum. It includes about 5% zinc and a trace of Indium, which prevents the build up of an oxide layer".