Old 06-03-2014, 02:04 AM   #21

City: Tasmania
Vessel Name: Viking
Vessel Model: Nova 48 Cockpit Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Welcome Aboard Michael.
Located as you are in the North Antarctic, go with something fixed and permanent. You might get ideas from how Riviera and Maritimo go about it, they often fully enclose FBs, dispensing with a lower helm altogether. "Do it once do it right" makes sense, down there it could add to the value/saleability as well as improve boating enjoyment, long term. There are boat window manufacturers in QLD (sorry,can`t remember the name, try a search, Gold Coast located I think) who do good work at surprisingly modest prices and will quote. My replacement side cabin windows were made in aluminum to my shipwright`s cardboard template. You`d need a design, and to work out a fitting method. The QLD maker might have ideas too.
Many thanks Bruce. This is great advice. I actually thought that I would cut the templates out of ply timber and then go to window manufacturers to get them made.
I will see if Riviera or Maritimo will share what grade/thickness glass they are using. Then I will be able to work out the potential weight of the finished product and the possible effect on centre of gravity. I may reach a point where it is not viable for safety reasons but no point just thinking about it!

thanks again.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:07 AM   #22
Guru

The compromise to reduce weight might be some type of plastic "glass". Not optimal, but could be designed to be easily replaceable if it gets tatty. PeterB might know the QLD window makers, a mate and I both used them and were happy with speed fit and quality.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:52 AM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleBoy View Post
Many thanks Bruce. This is great advice. I actually thought that I would cut the templates out of ply timber and then go to window manufacturers to get them made.
I will see if Riviera or Maritimo will share what grade/thickness glass they are using. Then I will be able to work out the potential weight of the finished product and the possible effect on centre of gravity. I may reach a point where it is not viable for safety reasons but no point just thinking about it!

thanks again.
Beagleboy, having done most of my boating in NZ, i.e. same latitude as Tassie mostly, I could come back at you, (tongue cheek, sorta), and say, just man up, and do what I suggested. Open flybridge, and use only in beaut weather.

However, now you add in the fact you have a poorly sited lower helm, and poorly sighted as well by the sound of it...if that situation cannot be remedied, then yes, I'd back Bruce's idea of full built-in enclosed rigid flybridge, like the Riv's and Maritimos. Because I know if boating in Tassie, (and I have been there and done that,) I would definitely prefer the lower helm most times because those winds can be damn cold all right.

Might I ask what is so bad re the lower helm, as your boat looks like it is virtually a type of pilothouse design..?
Any inside pics to illustrate. Someone might be able to come up with a you-beaut idea to solve the issue..?

Sorry I have no info re local bridge glass installers, but as you say, Maritimo or Riviera would probably be able to answer that, and they probably both have agents in Hobart or Devonport or Launceston..?
Old 06-03-2014, 08:21 AM   #24

City: Tasmania
Vessel Name: Viking
Vessel Model: Nova 48 Cockpit Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Beagleboy, having done most of my boating in NZ, i.e. same latitude as Tassie mostly, I could come back at you, (tongue cheek, sorta), and say, just man up, and do what I suggested. Open flybridge, and use only in beaut weather.

However, now you add in the fact you have a poorly sited lower helm, and poorly sighted as well by the sound of it...if that situation cannot be remedied, then yes, I'd back Bruce's idea of full built-in enclosed rigid flybridge, like the Riv's and Maritimos. Because I know if boating in Tassie, (and I have been there and done that,) I would definitely prefer the lower helm most times because those winds can be damn cold all right.

Might I ask what is so bad re the lower helm, as your boat looks like it is virtually a type of pilothouse design..?
Any inside pics to illustrate. Someone might be able to come up with a you-beaut idea to solve the issue..?

Sorry I have no info re local bridge glass installers, but as you say, Maritimo or Riviera would probably be able to answer that, and they probably both have agents in Hobart or Devonport or Launceston..?
Pete, I have been to your end of Oz many times - mostly in winter and while I am enjoying swimming in the pools (by myself) and loving the warm winter weather, you locals are rugged up thinking I have escaped from the loony bin.

I have attached a couple of pics below of us "manning up" during a beautiful day in summer this year with the front screen open! People not familiar with the term "Tassie Wind Chill" will start to get the idea......

I don't have a problem with the thermal eskimo outfit - but wouldn't it be great to spend 7 hours on the bridge watching the dolphins/whales/seals in some lighter clothing and without the icicles forming on your eyebrows. Not only that your hot lunch will still be hot when you get it to your mouth! The chief of finance however, does not cope so well with the biting cold regardless of the eskimo outfit. Happy wife = happy life.

Sorry I don't have pics of the lower helm view. I can get them on the weekend but regardless we are digressing again. Ultimately I don't have the visibility that I like. To kill the "use the lower helm" and "only use the bridge on a nice day" debate lets just pretend I don't have a lower helm! Lets talk about the post topic "alternatives for replacing clears"

I have located these guys - anyone in Oz familiar with them? Appear to also have a Melbourne office as well.
ALFAB Australia Auto Marine Glazing Solutions
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	man up.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	30326   Click image for larger version

Name:	man up 2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	30327  
Old 06-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #25
Guru

"Manning up" in North Channel of Lake Huron on a summer day in late July. We don't need no stinking side curtains....

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1987.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	30328
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #26
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Not sure what happened to my text... cancelled for thread highjacking? For the record we are open FB too. PO before last has a full enclosure made, neither I nor the PO put it up in 10 years of mutual ownership. Having a cozy lower helm with great visibility helps but some days you just want to bundle up and get the best view possible:

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:51 PM   #27
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Here is something you might want to consider adding to your front panel/s even if you use a hard plastic: Boats Yachts Sailboats Marine Safety Seaview Windshield Boat Yacht Sailboat Boating Sailing Marina Marinas Sea Ocean Oceaner

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote