Albin 25 hard to steer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sunset

Vessel Name
Manatee
Vessel Make
1976 Albin 25 DeLuxe
When Manatee (1976 Albin 25) was put down for the long sleep last fall the wheel was free and easy to spin. Manatee was launched today after a long winter storage. When I moved her to our berth at the marina I found the wheel stiff - it takes a good bit of effort to turn it. I have not has the opportunity to inspect the rudder on the hard in advance of launch.

I wonder where I might check to find the problem, and how and what I might lubricate to address this? Ideas?

Did you observe how it was blocked? Supported in the wrong spot could have stressed/Bent something..??

We had a similar issue on a friends' runabout. We found that a good cleaning and re greasing of the exposed shaft on tthe hydraulic ram took care of the problem.

Disturbing thought. Matter of fact they had the boat locked away before I could see it well, but I did peek through the barn door and noticed 2 boat stands (only) at the stern and a block closer to the bow. I could not see if they blocked under the engine, but this is an experienced marina. No way they wold have interfered with the drive shaft or rudder. One would think.

We had a similar issue on a friends' runabout. We found that a good cleaning and re greasing of the exposed shaft on tthe hydraulic ram took care of the problem.

You know, I think that is the problem. I failed to grease the coupling all last season and it has dried up.

Take out what is easiest , usually a clevis pin and move the rudder by hand.

This will tell you if its the rudder or steering gear.

Going to try all these suggestions today.

I just spent all afternoon yesterday re packing the shaft, replacing the mounting gudgeon pin and adjusting the support turnbuckle with a new swivel. Then I greased everything and it is now like butter.

Maintenance...

I'm hoping some grease on the piston shaft will help.

Attachments

• Steering1.jpg
    Steering1.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 225
I'm hoping some grease on the piston shaft will help.

I dunno...You could always disconnect the Pivot and isolate it to the Hydraulics or rudder post.

Though that looks like a purely mechanical system (is it?) which may mean a cable issue if it's not the rudder..

It's strictly cable leading to the piston mechanism. I removed the top nut as shown but was unable to move the bolt due to personal mechanical shortcomings and fear of damaging the piston setup.

Attachments

• Steering2.jpg
    Steering2.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 159
With cable steering installing a wheel driven auto pilot would work well.

Low cost , put it in a box and ship it back for repair if it ever craps out.

First on my wish-list.

I managed to remove the cable from the rudder and found that the wheel turns freely. Is there anything to try before having the vessel hauled out?

But you don't say if you tried the rudder by hand ......

I can't reach it from the swim deck and have no desire to jump into the St. Lawrence River in early May - nor at any time at the marina! I didn't try with the boat hook but I will try that next I guess. I kind of assume it will be hard to move since the cable seems to be OK. I guess I could buy a wet suit and go out into clean water to inspect it. I doubt the marina is interested in hauling out any time soon. They have only launched about 20% of the boats so far.

But you don't say if you tried the rudder by hand ......

I can't reach it from the swim deck and have no desire to jump into the St. Lawrence River in early May

Grab the quadrant that the cable attached too...Work it back and forth of you can. Maybe lubrication of the shaft or a stuffing box adjustment?

If no love, I'm guessing my original theory was right. You may have to pull it to correct the situation.

Good luck!

I'll need to bring the BIG pliers . . . or maybe the pipe wrench! Worth a shot.

Here's a good shot of the rudder....You can see that if blocked on that lower rudder support arm it could have done the damage..It looks a little spindly..

unbekannt-albin-25-ak-7.80-m-slika-10679996.jpg

Last edited:
Heron,
That's like my Albin. An early narrow stern boat w a more FD hull. Love the hull but it's got a wicked snap roll. That hull was designed for a 22hp engine. The real interesting thing about the engine (for those that don't know) is that it was designed and created first. Then they (Albin) designed the boat for the engine. A very unusual chain of events.

Now back to the rudder. If you can't operate the rudder by hand via the rudder horn there is a problem w the rudder. I remember the rudder "shoe" (strut) and support for the rudder from below) terminates with an unusual bearing on the bottom of the rudder. That could be a problem.
Don't remember the upper bearing but a careful look at it is probably in order before hauling .. but I'm betting you'll need to pull her back out. I know the feeling as I think I'll need to pull Willy back out for a prop change.

If the rudder does not move easily by hand , undo the the rudder packing a bit and seev if it has just dried out, and is sticking.

This can be done from inside .

Back
Top Bottom