Old 10-15-2015, 07:55 AM   #21
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
AC condensate drain to bilge 😡

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoss View Post
Looks like an item available on Amazon for even less. One question I'd have is whether it's self priming

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1444910080.594512.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	45478

Found this description on eBay. Looks like it might be self priming?

So if my raw water AC cooling line is 5/8 ID, do I get this 3/4 hose thread and get some kind of barbed fitting with 3/4 thread?

I also found some of these on eBay in different thread sizes ranging from 1/2 to 1" to 1.5" thread sizes. I wonder if that 1/2 thread size necks down too much and would restrict the flow if the 5/8" raw water hose.

Heron, what size did you use?

cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:25 AM   #22
Guru

City: AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
My AC drains to the bilge, and as a result I always have a wet bilge. The bilge pump is not able to suck all the water out for some reason. It turns on and gets almost all of it out, but then when it turns back off some of the water drains back into the bilge.

Anyway, I would like to run the AC drain lines to my existing shower sump pump, but the run is up hill.

Why not re-route the condensate line to drain directly over-board via a new thru-hull well above the waterline? That's what I did on my own boat.

HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:46 AM   #23
Guru

AC condensate drain to bilge 😡

The way the bilge is set up on this boat there are no easy ways to route a drain line to the sides of the hull. Hard to explain but that's the case-- this is mostly a sailboat hull.

Where the bilge pump sits and where the AC drains is more like a sump area than a full bilge.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:20 AM   #24
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
As it usually goes, while I was working on my AC drain project something else decided to quit working. The AC control unit flashed HPF, which usually means my strainer is clogged.

When I closed the crappy ball valve on the substandard through hull setup it felt a little funny I thought. I check the strainer and there were some jellyfish at the bottom but not many. Cleaned the basket, reinstalled, same thing. HPF.

This time I unscrewed the strainer top and opened the crappy ball valve, and no water came out. Nothing. So figuring something was clogging the through hull, I attached my trusty shop vac to the hose and attempted to blow back through the crappy ball valve, but got nothing. Just solid pressure. Valve is open (or shows to be anyway).

Could the ball valve have failed closed? The handle moves but nothing happens. Or do I just have one bad ass jelly fish in there? ��

Here is the ball valve. I know I need to replace it with a proper seacock but would like to get the AC going again.

Attachment 45459
If it is really blocked up, you may need to remove the elbow to clean it out.

It is possible the valve stem sheared off. If this is the case, the valve handle would most likely turn much easier than before. If that is the case, you will have to replace the seacock valve.

*Edit - I had another look at the photo. Hard to tell - but check to see if the handle is just rounded out, and is not rotating the valve stem.

Regarding the AC drain, is there no way to pipe it to the a sink drain?
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:49 AM   #25
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
In the meantime, stick a gallon milk jug on the end of the hose and empty as needed. It takes a long time to fill up a gallon of condensate, even here in the most humid place on earth.

Also, condensate water is distilled, so you can pour it into your batteries.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:51 AM   #26

City: Saint Petersburg, Fl.
Vessel Name: LUV'N LIFE
Vessel Model: 47 Atlantic
My 1000 gph a/c pump once sucked up a huge jelly fish. Had to have a diver pull him off and out of the hull intake. Pump was jammed with jelly that had sieved thru the strainer.
LUVN LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:36 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Yeah! I bought a venturi off Ebay for <$10 shipped., Do a search, pick the fitting size you want, add some clear tubing between the drain and the Venturi, and plumb it into your cooling line....It's a $15 solution..

Why add pumps, drains, complexity and $$$ when a simple and cheap solution is out there..

So when the AC raw water pump turns off is there a one way valve that stops the salt water from back flushing back up the condensate line? Or does this not happen for some reason?
Old 10-15-2015, 12:44 PM   #28
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
In the meantime, stick a gallon milk jug on the end of the hose and empty as needed. It takes a long time to fill up a gallon of condensate, even here in the most humid place on earth.

Also, condensate water is distilled, so you can pour it into your batteries.

Marine A/C units can make 5 or more gallons of water per day in a humid environment.

And the water they make is not distilled.

"Distilled water is water that has many of its impurities removed through distillation. Distillation involves boiling the water and then condensing the steam into a clean container."
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:58 PM   #29
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
So when the AC raw water pump turns off is there a one way valve that stops the salt water from back flushing back up the condensate line? Or does this not happen for some reason?
Yeah. there is a spring loaded valve in there. Suction (system pumping) opens it, pumping off, the valve to the condesate line shuts. I got the 3/4 (hose bib) size so I could use this at home with my pressure washer if it didn't work out!
I confess, I haven't mounted it in the boat yet so I don't know if it will restrict flow through the tube or not..
I know others who have done this, and it works quite well... No different than the $200 Mermaid system really..
And no additional holes through the hull...
Old 10-15-2015, 02:05 PM   #30
Guru

Great. Thanks. This looks like the simplest solution for my application.