Old 07-28-2019, 08:38 PM   #1
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
A1 fuel hose

I need to replace my fuel tank crossover hose. I need 15 ft. I'm finding 12.5 ft or 50 ft. I'm really having a hard time locating A1 in 3/4" ID. I could use 5/8", it's cheaper, but that change entails changing the fittings and I'd prefer to just replace the hose & clamps and be done with it.

Anyone have a good source for fuel hose, preferably on the east coast??

Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:15 PM   #2
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Caroliner
Vessel Model: 28' Spira San Miguel
I'm sure you know this but most boat supply stores sell it by the foot. I would do an internet search for the closest marine supply and give them a call. Some will even cut it, box it, and have it ready to go when you get there. They may also deliver to you if they have a delivery going your way. Never hurts to ask.

I wouldn't deal with changing hoses for a different size hose. To me, that could open up the possibility for a leak somewhere. I hate bleeding air out of diesel engines.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:28 PM   #3
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
New-line.com
They sell all sort of hose by the foot including fuel hoses
https://www.new-line.com/hose/automo...fuel-line-hose

Bought hoses and clamps from them, never had any issue, prompt shipping and professional.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:30 PM   #4

City: Clearwater, FL
Vessel Name: Seas the Bay
Vessel Model: Hardin Europa
I've usually gone to a local hydraulic shop. They can make them to size on the spot fairly inexpensively. Sometimes, when I've noticed something off hours and it has bothered me, I've even paid the fee for them to come out and make one on-site (sent cellphone photo in advance) or to open office after hours. These places are used to commercial customers and are on call 24x7 (for a somewhat steep, but not bank-breaking fee).

Most recently, I used these folks:
-- Hydraulic Hose Repair & Sales, Clearwater, FL
gkesden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:07 AM   #5
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Most all NAPA stores in boat oriented areas will provide this as well or point you to the guy in town who does.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:52 AM   #6

Hi CalTexFlanc,

It may be regional, but I haven't had luck with NAPAs. They haven't been able or willing to do fuel lines, just true hydraulic lines, which apparently have a different construction and uae different fittings.

But, you are right -- they are the ones who pointed me to that Goodyear hise place.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:59 AM   #7
FF
Guru

Where ever you have the hose made up be sure to specify swivels on BOTH ends.

If you are a world cruiser you can purchase aero quip style ends that can be assembled simply with 2 wrenches , and carry replacement hose.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:53 AM   #8
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerin View Post
I need to replace my fuel tank crossover hose. I need 15 ft. I'm finding 12.5 ft or 50 ft. I'm really having a hard time locating A1 in 3/4" ID. I could use 5/8", it's cheaper, but that change entails changing the fittings and I'd prefer to just replace the hose & clamps and be done with it.

Anyone have a good source for fuel hose, preferably on the east coast??

It appears that Fisheries Supplies has it by the foot. Unfortunately, not on the east coast.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:58 AM   #9
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
You dont have to have A1 or B1 fuel hose unless the fuel line is continuously submerged.
You can use B1 or B2 instead. But if A1 is not much more, use that.
If you can route the fuel hose above the tank tops they wont be continually submerged.

Some of these descriptions have more to do with gasoline in those hoses.

A1--fuel feed hose; has a fire resistant cover; is designed to have fuel in the hose at all times. Least permeable with highest fire resistance.

A2--fuel vent hose; has a fire resistant cover; is not designed to have fuel in the hose at all times.

B1--fuel feed hose; without fire resistant cover; is designed to have fuel in the hose at all times; intended for non-enclosed spaces. Diesel engines or above deck outboard gasoline applications.

B2--fuel vent hose; without fire resistant cover; is not designed to have fuel in the hose at all times. Diesel vent lines.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:27 AM   #10
Guru

The hose is a crossover between the tanks. It's connected at the bottom of the tank. It's full of fuel, it must be A1. It must also carry the USCG A1 designation on the hose, or it will pop on a survey. The hose is connected with barbed fittings, so no swivel is needed. If I go to a hydraulic shop, they'll provide a hose that will likely work, but probably won't have the USCG-A1 legend, so that's not an option. 221FR is also an option, but price is $22/ft. plus the fittings. Fisheries offers it in a 50 ft roll, $821. Nah.

Yes, Fisheries does have 3/4" A1, only in a 50ft roll, so that's $421 to get the 14 ft. I need, and 36 ft to lay in the lazarette.

I'll keep hunting. The stuff I have came from MSI, IIRC- eBay. It's junk. That's why I'm replacing it. The jacket is all cracked, it would not pass a survey. It's less than 5 yrs in service.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:33 AM   #11

The Goodyear shop made a USCG hose for me. The rating is imprinted on the hose.

IIRC, they generally only had the USCG hose at their main, biggest location in the area, which serves as their warehouse, but they supply it from there to the smaller locations as needed.

You can call them, explain what you need, and ask. They may want cellphone photos.

Really, after calling ahead, I walked in and walked out 5min later with the hose.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Portsmouth, VA
Vessel Name: Nickel Plate
Vessel Model: Jeanneau Velasco 43
I would go local, our supplier is Hampton Rubber in Hampton, VA. They supply shipyards, Navy, USCG but sell over the counter and can fabricate with fittings.
fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:31 AM   #13

City: Chesapeake Bay,Middle River,Md.
Vessel Name: Patty Ann
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1 1980
Colliflower (www.colliflower.com) in Essex/Middle River are distributors for Parker hoses and fitting and they have 221FR . John Taylor inside sales can verify 410 686 1200.
David Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:33 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerin View Post
The hose is a crossover between the tanks. It's connected at the bottom of the tank. It's full of fuel, it must be A1. It must also carry the USCG A1 designation on the hose, or it will pop on a survey. The hose is connected with barbed fittings, so no swivel is needed. If I go to a hydraulic shop, they'll provide a hose that will likely work, but probably won't have the USCG-A1 legend, so that's not an option. 221FR is also an option, but price is $22/ft. plus the fittings. Fisheries offers it in a 50 ft roll, $821. Nah.

Yes, Fisheries does have 3/4" A1, only in a 50ft roll, so that's $421 to get the 14 ft. I need, and 36 ft to lay in the lazarette.

I'll keep hunting. The stuff I have came from MSI, IIRC- eBay. It's junk. That's why I'm replacing it. The jacket is all cracked, it would not pass a survey. It's less than 5 yrs in service.
Could you use a length of copper 3/4 tubing and just have shorter sections of rubber hose? Or some other metal pipe in the middle. Maybe screwed together galvanized pipe.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:01 AM   #15
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
On Fisheries Supply you can order Trident series 365 Barrier A1 Marine Fuel Hose 3/4" ID by the foot. The product page is labeled confusingly, but if you click on the "view all options for this product" you can get to a line that says "view all options in a table". At the very bottom of that table is the 3/4 hose. It says box of 50 feet but on the right is a pull down that allows you to specify by the foot.
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:09 PM   #16
Guru

Kchase,

I Found the Fisheries table that does the per foot option. It's ordered. Thanks for the help, guys.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:22 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
Could you use a length of copper 3/4 tubing and just have shorter sections of rubber hose? Or some other metal pipe in the middle. Maybe screwed together galvanized pipe.

No, I wouldn't do that. Too many joints. Can't fish rigid pipe or copper. The hose is one piece, the only joints are at the valves on each tank that are readily accessible.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:02 PM   #18
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
You can find the hose on eBay, usually by the foot or roll. At the bottom of the page are alternate hose sources online.

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:30 PM   #19
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I don’t think you want galvanized pipe in a diesel fuel system.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:06 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I don’t think you want galvanized pipe in a diesel fuel system.
Looks like it, but black iron and copper is ok.
https://generators.blogs.com/fgwserv...use_galva.html

We recommend black iron, steel or copper piping and storage tanks in order to avert this.