8D Battery Source

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sum escape

Vessel Name
Sapphire
Vessel Make
Tiara 53 Fly
I am looking to replace 4 Lifeline 8Ds with the same. Found a website "Wholesale Batteries Direct" that has good prices, does not charge sales tax in certain delivery states and delivers them free. Seems like a great source. Does anyone have any experience with them, pro or con? Thanks.

No experience with that site, but I can tell you our local battery warehouse place was willing to match Internet prices on Lifelines when I asked about it.

That didn't address the collection of sales tax, but even when a vendor doesn't collect I'd still be liable for that amount anyway... so I didn't worry much about that.

-Chris

My local battery dealer replaced the 8Ds on the N46. (fwd port corner of the ER, over the engine) He likes me better now because I now have 4D batteries on AT plus they are more conveniently located too.

I dont care what brand of battery you buy, those 8Ds are a bear to lift and move around the boat.

Thank the gods and goddesses, of all thing nautical, for the young men who are out to concur the world and lift and move heavy objects.

Last edited:
For those with simple older systems NAPA has LA "dual purpose" 8D batts for $205. each.

These are not every ones choice , but if the boat was designed for combined house and start batts , the price is OK.

Sams Club carries Duracell 8Ds made by East Penn at decent prices.
I purchased 3 - 8D AGMs directly from an East Penn distribution center at a good price...worth checking if there is one near you.

Hey SUM.
I will be looking into batteries soon too, I’m afraid.
Look forward to seeing your new batts at the dock this fall!
Interested to see what you find.

8 Ds! You fellows must be young and strong but not so here. My youth is long past and with it...... well, I would prefer to forget. But back to heavy batteries, I replaced mine with East Penn’s golf carts which I can handle without the help from all the king’s horses and all the king’s men.

These days batts have a high scrap value.

It might cost more to ship mail order batts back to capture the "core charge"

for big heavy batts the charge can be $35 each or more.

I've gotten more from scrap / recyclers than store core charge.

Many many times, the core charge is taken into the cost of the battery.
Personally, if they can make money (when I had 8D batteries), let them make it.
I dont need 8D batteries sitting on the dock and anything they can make is well worth them removing batteries, hauling them away and installing the batteries.

Back
Top Bottom