5200 removal- Anti-Bond versus Marine Formula ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found the best way is a wire wheel powered by a variable speed drill. If under trim/molding use a thin flexable sharp putty knife working back and forth and the wirer wheel to clean up take off the area. Paint thinner will remove if used before it dries.

Most years I have to remove and paint varnish. Most of the time its the caulking that has failed. Also a paint brush with the bristles cut short to apply the caulking as the caulk trends to self level with a clean up with paint thinner.

I heat the putty knife to work it through the 5200 and scrap it off.

The alternatives are vaguely interesting but I'd still be curious to know if Anti Bond works better or worse than Marine Formula :whistling:

Caladn,
Sounds like you're looking for something to do the work. You don't say where the 52 is but heat can make the work much easier. I've never removed 52 but I've read it softens w heat.

I use Dolphinite whenever I need a sealer that is not an adhesive. Why use glue (5200) to bed a cleat? Two or four bolts hopefully w backing plates holds the cleat on. Products that have been around seemingly forever are often better than the latest new fad.

I've had to use the Marine Formula lately stripping the trim off this boat for a paint job. It does work, albeit slowly, patience and working with sharp blades and pry tools etc.
But, I've never heard of or used Anti-Bond so I can't compare.

Back
Top Bottom