42 Grand Banks - Anodes to replace?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JESSEDIVER49

Vessel Name
Good Vibrations
Vessel Make
Grand Banks Classic 42
I'm a 5-mos long owner of a '84 GB and I'm on a major learning curve getting ready for 2014 cruising and diving.
This forum has been extremely helpful and I am grateful for all previous responses.
Here is my maintenance question today - Anodes: Other than the anodes on the prop struts and on Lehman Heat Exchangers, are there any other anodes that I'll need to replace periodically? I don't see any on the water heater and I haven't checked the generator yet.

... Anodes: Other than the anodes on the prop struts and on Lehman Heat Exchangers, are there any other anodes that I'll need to replace periodically? I don't see any on the water heater and I haven't checked the generator yet.

Given it's a new boat to you and it's age, a corrosion analysis might be an idea. Find someone who is qualified to check your bonding system, hull potential and electrical leakage. It could save some underwater hardware and confirm your anode requirements. It shouldn't take more than a hour on site for the survey if you help.

The hot water heater and generator, check with the manufacturers. All have pretty specific requirements and not all heaters have anodes.

Last edited:
I too am a recent new GB owner. As others have mentioned,there is an amazing GB owners site in case you are not already aware of it. Grand Banks Owner's Resources

I visit it daily, actually several times a day for a good boating dose. Tremendous amount of knowledge there that continues to amaze me.

My 28' North Pacific Yacht has a 2.0 QSD Cummins. Soon I will be replacing the engine zincs. Can anyone help me identify how many anode/zincs (and their location) for this engine?

Some mechanics have said it has none but I've already found one aft of engine near the air filter.

Thanks!

Ed
Knot@work
Blaine, WA

on engine: Heat exchanger, Transmission oil cooler, Charge air cooler, engine oil cooler. the last 2 are hard to find, but still important to replace annually.
on boat: shaft donuts, rudder, big block on transom-hard wired to bonding system.
Failure to replace all of these annually risks losing something more important, such as propeller or shaft.

GB 42 Anodes on hull, shaft, struts

GB 42 owners, please let me know how many anodes you need on exterior? - two for ea shaft, one on ea strut, and two on lower transom? I understand the two big ones on transom are tied into bonding system and from earlier post, that should be checked by expert.

My apologies for redundant post. I now have a much better handle on Grand Banks anodes - engine room and hull/running gear. Thanks to everyone for your comments/suggestions/info!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom