Old 11-25-2013, 05:25 AM   #1

City: newport ca.
Vessel Name: sea bird
Vessel Model: 1979 chb 49ft.
300 gal of diesel in my bilge

Hello I don't know how to work this site.but here's my problem. I just dumped 300 gallons of diesel in my bilge. I'm sick over it. I need to pump it back in and filter it. Not sure how t o post but thought I would try. thanks

Edit: Ronald, I started a new thread for you on this subject. -FlyWright

ronald stanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #2
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald stanko View Post
Hello I don't know how to work this site.but here's my problem. I just dumped 300gallons of diesel in my bulge. I'm sick over it. I need to pump it back in and filter it. Not sure how t o post but thought I would try.thanks
Ron - you seem to have a knack at putting things in the wrong place. Maybe a forum moderator can start your own thread for this question.

Maybe call a doctor. If it was in my bulge , I'd be sick as well. In the bilge is bad enough.

Seriously - I'd maybe call up a fuel polishing company to handle this problem for you.

AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I agree. 300 Gal of diesel in the bilge is serious. There are professional fuel handlers who can remove the fuel, polish it and refill your tanks. I hope your bilge pumps are off.

Please keep us posted on the route you take and the outcome.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Please tell us why or what failed so we can learn from your experience. I'd guess you turned off the bilge pumps?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
FF
Guru

A baja filter is designed to remove water (a very very fine screen.

You should be able to pump or use a bucket brigade to pour it thru a Baja filter.
back into the tank.

If you pump it suck it thru a filter , DO NOT push it thru as the pump will mix the fuel and water.

After its all back in the tank, its time to polish the fuel to remove any remaining water , again suck thru the filter.

No big deal, tho removing the diesel stench may require an ozone machine for a week after a good scrub..
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #6

City: Ft Lauderdale
Vessel Model: 120' Custom, Cat 3512's, 1750 HP ea.
A few years ago had a similar problem. Put together an old Racor filter cannister and a 24v diesel lift pump from spares, mounted both on a scrap piece of plywood. A few hoses for in/out and was able to set up a filter/transfer system to clean the fuel while transferring back into the tank. Poor mans/emergency polishing unit.
BerettaRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #7

City: Newburgh, Indiana
Vessel Name: Quiet Company
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH-47
Quote:
Hello I don't know how to work this site.but here's my problem. I just dumped 300 gallons of diesel in my bilge. I'm sick over it. I need to pump it back in and filter it. Not sure how t o post but thought I would try. thanks Edit: Ronald, I started a new thread for you on this subject. -FlyWright
Hey Ronald, how about updating us on where you stand on you "diesel in bilge" adventure?

Hope all is well!

Norm
Quiet Company
Great Harbour GH47

Sent from my iPad with big clumsy fingers using Trawler
Spottsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:50 PM   #8
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I agree, there are a few companies such as CSSI Fuel Filtration

that can help you with your fuel. But we all want to know how it got there. Welcome!
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #9
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I don't think dealing with 300 gallons of fuel in a bilge is a DIY job. Not even close. You need a pro to handle this.

And why didn't the bilge pump pump it out? Of course, that would be a fuel spill and the EPA would be on you like a hawk.

If you turned off the pump as soon as you noticed it pumping fuel, good for you, but you still need a pro to safely remove the fuel and either clean it or dispose of it properly. The longer it sits in the bilge, the harder it will be to deal with the aftermath.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #10
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
I don't think dealing with 300 gallons of fuel in a bilge is a DIY job. Not even close. You need a pro to handle this.

Not even close.

BerettaRacer described exactly how to do it. It could be 3 gallons or 3000 gallons, you still remove it a gallon at a time.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:48 AM   #11
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Definitely a DIY job…being a bit careful of course.

Hardest part is to determine whether you want to salvage the fuel or dispose of it…guess you have to decide just how bad your bilge contents are….

Definitely shut down any auto bilge pumps unless they have electronic sensor starts that won't pump fuel..don't need the USCG breathing down your neck!

Cleanup is usually not too hard either depending on your boat’s bilge configuration and how sensitive your crew is to lingering odors.
The first rinse should probably be disposed of ashore…the rest with natural / biodegradable cleaners could go overboard, but it’s nice if the marina you are at or close by would let you use the sani-pump to get the next rinse or two out (even if you pat a reasonable fee.)
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #12
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Had this happen to a buddy's boat. Tank leak filled bilge with about 100gal. Ladled it out into 5gal buckets (with lids), hand truck down dock, poured into blue barrels in a pickup. Left the barrels in the shop for a few weeks, most of the suspended water and crud settled to bottom. Ran though 2mic filter press into clean barrels. Fuel then burned in various engines.

I would not burn this stuff in any common rail or high output engine. But old skool mechanical engines, no problem. Key is letting it settle.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #13
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Ronald, you are in Newport Beach Harbor, right? Be careful who you hire as I have heard horror stories about over charging and rip off's there. It's the land of millionaires and those who live off them.

You can DIY as many have stated above. Let us know how you are doing.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #14
Guru

No one has said this yet, so I'll jump in. Is there a requirement under Kookafornia law to report this or are you trying to keep it under the radar? If you hire someone, they mey be required to report it.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:47 PM   #15
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
No one has said this yet, so I'll jump in. Is there a requirement under Kookafornia law to report this or are you trying to keep it under the radar? If you hire someone, they mey be required to report it.
If it stays in the boat, isn't that secondary containment? No threat to the environment? Why would it have to be reported? Just asking.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
If it stays in the boat, isn't that secondary containment? No threat to the environment? Why would it have to be reported? Just asking.
Well you know these over zellous EPA types.......Just say'in
Old 01-21-2014, 07:21 PM   #17
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Personally, I would just empty a fuel tank and pump it into there. Preferably one that has easy access to clean outs, like the 550 gallon tank in the middle of my engine room. Let it sit awhile then circulate it thru my polishing system for 24 hours. Then empty that tank into another and clean that tank. No problem, if ya aint skeered.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #18

City: Newburgh, Indiana
Vessel Name: Quiet Company
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH-47
Quote:
Hello I don't know how to work this site.but here's my problem. I just dumped 300 gallons of diesel in my bilge. I'm sick over it. I need to pump it back in and filter it. Not sure how t o post but thought I would try. thanks Edit: Ronald, I started a new thread for you on this subject. -FlyWright
As you post remember Ronald's original post was 11-25-2013. He has likely already dealt with his mishap by now. I posted my question to Ronald yesterday (1-20-2014) just to see how it turned out and what was the fix. Hopefully he solved his cleanup adventure in a responsible way that would negate the need for the EPA.

It's is a mishap (or maybe a hose failure/mechanical/design) that could happen to anyone. Makes me think about what I would do to clean it up while not wasting the fuel. In my boat I think I would quickly retrofit a hose to my fuel polisher pump and suck it up and deposit it back in the fuel tank. The cleaning of the bilge and what to do with the cleaning water (depending on how much you generated) is another good question?

Norm Miller
Quiet Company
Great Harbour GH47

Sent from my iPad with big clumsy fingers using Trawler
Spottsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #19
FF
Guru

The cleaning of the bilge and what to do with the cleaning water (depending on how much you generated) is another good question?

Take a Cruise in DARK AIR?
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:33 PM   #20
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Once the majority of diesel has been taken care of you will certainly have left a very difficult to remove sheen. That's where this stuff comes in. I've used it and it works!

Pacific NW Boater | Edson Oil Eradicator

http://www.pacificnwboater.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote