2003 Mainship 390 Starboard Sliding door removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvolkwein

Vessel Name
Yinzer
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
Need to replace the rollers on the sliding door but am having a difficult time figuring out how to remove the door. I've removed the bottom strip and loosened the adjustment screws but cannot get the door out. Suggestions?

Did you figure out how to remove this door? I have removed both the bottom and top trim plates, with a considerable amount of difficulty and time since the SS screws were corroded cold welding them to the aluminum frame... it took a lot of PB and an impact driver and one had to be drilled... now after all that it would be nice to get the door out for roller r/r... thanks

I ended up using a wide, flat pry bar and popping the wheels off the bottom track. Could not find SS wheels that would fit so ending up using steel. Yearly I take WD40 and aim the nozzle upward towards the wheels and spray liberally. So far the door is sliding OK. I read in another forum where a guy drilled small access holes on the inside of the door above the wheels so he could lubricate them easier.

I got the aft door r/r but there is no way to remove the trim at the top of the helm door... there is not enough space to use a 90 deg screwdriver between the top trim and flybridge

Helm Sliding Door Removal

I got the aft door r/r but there is no way to remove the trim at the top of the helm door... there is not enough space to use a 90 deg screwdriver between the top trim and flybridge

I had the same problem so I used a pry bar to force the bottom wheels up and over the track. Another way which a contractor showed me (he needed to remove the rear sliding glass door) was to grind away a portion of the track in two places so the wheels slide off the track. Just be sure your cuts are not such that only one sets of wheels could slide off.

...ok... bit u still would be able to get the door out without removing the top trim and u can't get to the screws which are probably corroded anyway (SS to aluminum)... there r plastic guide and friction blocks behind this trim that has a lower edge (lip) that prevent the door from being lowered past the trim... you can remove this trim on the aft door but NOT on the side helm door... I am just trying to locate someone that has successfully removed the helm door... my back door us done and yes i had to "force" it out of the track with a pry bar because the corroded wheel could not be retractes... whoever designed and decided to put this pitiful design on a boat was a lousy engineer

I'll try to answer following posts on a computer vs. my phone... between the touchscreen keyboard and word substitution the posts don't come out worded exactly right when the response us by cell phone

did you ever get the mainship door off?

...ok... bit u still would be able to get the door out without removing the top trim and u can't get to the screws which are probably corroded anyway (SS to aluminum)... there r plastic guide and friction blocks behind this trim that has a lower edge (lip) that prevent the door from being lowered past the trim... you can remove this trim on the aft door but NOT on the side helm door... I am just trying to locate someone that has successfully removed the helm door... my back door us done and yes i had to "force" it out of the track with a pry bar because the corroded wheel could not be retractes... whoever designed and decided to put this pitiful design on a boat was a lousy engineer

I have a new to me sliding helm door on my 2002 Mainship 390, and can not figure out how to get the door off to replace the rollers?

How do you get the mainship helm door off

I'll try to answer following posts on a computer vs. my phone... between the touchscreen keyboard and word substitution the posts don't come out worded exactly right when the response us by cell phone

Did you ever explain how to get the mainship helm door off? I have a 2002 390 I just bought and I have been trying to figure out how to remove the door to replace the rollers. Can you still share the solution?

Mainship 390 Side Door

About 6 years ago I removed the side door to replace the rollers by using a pry bar to force the bottom wheels up and over the track. Another way which a contractor showed me (he needed to remove the rear sliding glass door) was to grind away a portion of the track in two places so the wheels slide off the track. Just be sure your cuts are not such that only one sets of wheels could slide off. HOWEVER, I was unable to source SS rollers so had to use steel and they rusted up quickly (salt water boat). I then found this company (https://slide-ezzz.com/). Inexpensive and quick fix. No problems since.

Back
Top Bottom