1980 island gypsy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strader

I am looking to paint some of the previously stained and polyurethaned wood and was wondering if I should have any concerns about lead exposure.
Also does anyone have suggestions for type of primer to use.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Mr. s. Might I suggest before you prime or paint that you give the wood a good coat of poly or varnish. IF at any time in the future you or the next owner wish to restore the brightwork, the paint should not have soaked into the grain of the wood making a re-finish difficult if not impossible.

I appreciate the quick reply. While I do not plan to go crazy with paint there are a few places I would like to lighten up. Even re-coating is going to be a challenge. The previous owner suffered a major health crisis and the boat sat in our wonderful south Florida climate for over a year. The current interior varnish literally peals away with tape and light cleaning.

Greetings,
Mr.s. From the sound of it you're going to have to prep your surfaces in any case. Your call entirely but I would still suggest after prep, a coat or two of clear sealer of some sort THEN your paint finish. The sealer could be considered a primer coat. I'm sure you could find a clear coat compatible with your finish coat given the wide variety of paint chemistries available. Could be you'll like the clear coat "primer" and elect to keep it.

I am looking to paint some of the previously stained and polyurethaned wood and was wondering if I should have any concerns about lead exposure.
Fairly sure lead ceased to be a paint component well before 1980. I doubt it was ever in varnish, never gave it a thought when sanding my varnish before recoating with more varnish. Temperatures here can be hot, I`ve never heard of general varnish failure on an IG, I suspect other causes, like moisture entry, or a poor previous refinish. If the suspect areas are around windows, that`s not unusual due to water ingress, mine were painted by a PO to disguise water damage.

Back
Top Bottom