@#$&*!!! perko mortise lock set 0927!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)

So I replace this 18 months ago and the spring is gone in the handle set. The last one lasted 30+ years. Anyone with experience with these? I’m going to phone Perko and see if it’s on warranty. It wasn’t cheap!

Jim

Last edited:
Ah yes, Perko locksets! I found remnants of 8 of them on board (counting handles!) Not sure why the PO kept them? Based on his ownership a Perko lockset will last about 4 years of light usage. Seems like you were unlucky Jim, or you use your boat a lot!

I currently have one that is partly broken (one arm of internal cast lever mechanism broken) and will be sourcing alternatives at the end of my current cruise. I think the lockset mechanism from a security screen door should be suitable. I intend to replace all three of the Perko mortise crap I currently have.

Jim,

Same problem, mine didn't make it that long. The spring is not a “replacement part”, they did send me 2 for free, already broken. I went to mcmaster carr, for something close, but also broke.

Looking to replace all three with something else even if I have to modify teak.

The replacements seem like a cheap copy of a copy of the original. I ended up taking a good original off the fwd door that is always open and swapping with the problem child.

I have found suitable springs at the local Ace that I cut shorter and worked fine. My problem now is that three of mine have worn out cams inside. Found replacement parts at Fisheries supply in Seattle.

The replacements seem like a cheap copy of a copy of the original.
Yes! We replaced a badly pitted original (30+year old) Perko mortise set and I wish I hadn’t or at least kept the original inner workings. The door handle doesn’t work smoothly at all, always sticking. The handle doesn’t retract the lock all the way, no matter how we fiddle with the spring, screws etc.

Perko lock sets....at least as now sold....are absolute rubbish. Replace with something else when the next failure occurs (you won't have to wait long ). But in the springs, if you call up or email their service center, they will often send you a replacement for postage or less.

Sad to say but Perko white boat hardware is junk.

The Euros do a good job on SS lock and door hardware but its Euro priced , and the REAL nice stuff is made for the folks with a 40 meter boat , not a 40 ft boat.

I had to literally pound open one of my head doors earlier this year when the latch set broke.
I get about one a 1/2 seasons out of one.
But I did find a spring at ACE that I'm sure will work.
But they are JUNK for sure.

I see misery loves company! What are the substitute/replacement options?

Jim

Cr@p, both of my head doors have Perko locksets. They may be original but they still work. What's the hot set up if one fails?

Ken

I see misery loves company! What are the substitute/replacement options?

Jim

After three sets of Perko door units, I installed a high quality lock lasp and went with a high quality padlock. Looks good and does the job. The Perko door handle will work in one direction which fortunately, is the open direction. The lock is useless.

Al-Ketchikan

Cr@p, both of my head doors have Perko locksets. They may be original but they still work. What's the hot set up if one fails?

Ken

All of my interior doors work fine for the moment. Perhaps because they are older units and better construction.

After three sets of Perko door units, I installed a high quality lock lasp and went with a high quality padlock. Looks good and does the job. The Perko door handle will work in one direction which fortunately, is the open direction. The lock is useless.

Al-Ketchikan

Thanks Al. Do you have a photo of your replacement?

Jim

"What's the hot set up if one fails?"

Search for an old chrome plated brass one at the local boat salvage place.

All of my interior doors work fine for the moment. Perhaps because they are older units and better construction.

Thanks Al. Do you have a photo of your replacement?

Jim

Sorry JD, Just saw your post. No, I am one who can't get his mind around posting photos. Damn hard for me to find them on the phone photo app.
But the hasp is a high polished chrome unit. I mounted the receiver post over the door and the hasp proper on the door. Looks like it was meant to be, not a eye sore. Nice quality padlock

Al-Ketchikan

Check Martin Marine in North Van? Also Wolfe Marine nr Shelter Island has tons of door locks in their upstairs storage area. Probably different than Perko but very solid. Its been a while since I was there but tons of nos locks.

So here’s the update: I returned the lock-set to the Canadian wholesaler soon after I posted here. After a period of some months (they said they needed to include more items to offset the shipping costs), said wholesaler sent it off to Perko, who continues to sit on it. Apparently it’s part of a larger scale issue said wholesaler has with Perko. The wholesaler has reimbursed me my original purchase price. I’m not sure what I will replace it with. Another Perko Unit?

This is a shame really, as Perko has many offerings, some good and some bad, but IMNHO, they need to do better with this.

Jim

Jim: I feel your pain. If I could go a year with the same lock set without breaking I’d be happy. Is it this piece that keeps failing.

Attachments

• 5FB6F9CB-0370-445D-90EF-EF3EFC2E66A0.jpg
    5FB6F9CB-0370-445D-90EF-EF3EFC2E66A0.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 69
I ended up replacing three external Perko locksets with an Italian lockset that appears to have been designed for screen doors.

https://www.samallen.com.au/index_inner.php?page=100003&searchType=&search=&itemID=16632&category=72

There was a little bit of enlarging to do of the mortice, and repositioning of the holes (minor) but it worked out quite well. And the cover plates were slightly narrower, but a little of teak sawdust/epoxy filled those areas that were visible.

The two drawbacks are that they use a "mini double cylinder" that the local locksmiths could not make keyed alike, and it is key operation only both internal and external. Minor issues really, keys are colour code port/stbd. Four months on, and no problems.

Attachments

• Perko lockset.jpg
    Perko lockset.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Door latch exterior.jpg
    Door latch exterior.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Wow, that's beautiful. Nice job on the door too. Last winter I made a new door as my old one was beyond repair. I had picked up a Perko lock about 8 years ago at the yearly Fisheries Supply swap meet and clearance for $5.00. So far so good, but I've been following this closely. I should have left enough room to replace with the lock you found if I decide to. The Perko lock is a joke and could be credit carded in about ten seconds. I don't worry about it because frankly it would be quicker to force a window open than mess with the lock (decoy). Either way, boat locks are mostly for the honest.

Brian’s: What ghost said. :thumb: Any chance of finding a manufacturers part number so we can order on this side of the pond? Enlarging sure beats cutting and filling.

Larry:

Thanks! I was afraid someone might ask that! I don't seem to have details on my PC, although I thought I did. I'll be down at the boat in an hour or so, and check for details - I think I do have some.

There was a bit of filling involved, somewhat fiddly, but minor. I did need to re-finish the door anyway which helped with the completed look.

Ok, some info.

First, pic was the slip of paper inside the plastic bag with the lockset.

Then, searching for Olcese Ricci I came up with a catalog/inventory.

https://olcesericci.com/categories.html?cat=10

But I did not see a matching part number. If you can find a local importer they may have additional details such as dimensioned drawings that will enable selecting the right one. Good luck!

Attachments

• Door lock Olcese Ricci.jpg
    Door lock Olcese Ricci.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 63
Insequent: thanks for this information. This might be a definite improvement over the existing hardware.

Ok, some info.

First, pic was the slip of paper inside the plastic bag with the lockset.

Then, searching for Olcese Ricci I came up with a catalog/inventory.

https://olcesericci.com/categories.html?cat=10

But I did not see a matching part number. If you can find a local importer they may have additional details such as dimensioned drawings that will enable selecting the right one. Good luck!

These guys might be able to help. Not cheap, but they import other Italian marine hardware. Their catalog has a whole section on door sets. http://izerwaren.com/

Good luck,

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom