Y valve , macerator pump leaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
Ok here is my set up
Jabsco electric toilet grinds and sends direct to holding tank . Then out of the bottom of holding tank there is a valve that can either go to deck pump out or to the macerator pump to thru hull . I always have the vale turned to deck pump out and never use the macerator and I keep the thru hull closed . My macerator is leaking waste from holding tank . Does the y valve have a seal for each direction or is it just a directional valve with no real seal? The way I have the valve set there should not be any waste even at the macerator right ?

"The way I have the valve set there should not be any waste even at the macerator right ?"

Correct. Sounds like the valve is not fully closing off the path between the holding tank and the macerator.

Hi Marty, waste should not be getting to the macerator pump and if it does the pump shouldn't leak anyway. I'm afraid you have a really nasty job ahead of you.

IF parts (seals ) are available is will not be a fun job.

IF the waste is already ground up a waste pump might be less to maintain.

Should you have an inverter on board , replacing a DC macerator pump with an AC one will usually result in easier starts and longer life.

Perhaps just a ball valve on a fixed Y would let you ocean dump?

Or a fixed Y and the sea cock, with gravity as your pump?

IF parts (seals ) are available is will not be a fun job.

IF the waste is already ground up a waste pump might be less to maintain.

Should you have an inverter on board , replacing a DC macerator pump with an AC one will usually result in easier starts and longer life.

Perhaps just a ball valve on a fixed Y would let you ocean dump?

Or a fixed Y and the sea cock, with gravity as your pump?
I'm thinking just replace both y valve and macerator . What about a manual pump for the ocean dump? The waste is already ground up at the toilet . I'm on inland water way and doubt I will ever go outside far enough to do a legal dump . I know it would be risky to do away completely with the ocean dump part but it would get rid of several connections .

Greetings,
Mr. PM. Since you don't anticipate being in a position far enough off shore to dump your dumps, I would suggest you simplify your system to make full and easy use of your holding tank. Replace the 3 way valve with a straight pipe OR replace the 3 way with a new one IF, in the future, there is even a remote possibility of an ocean dump and you will be replacing your current macerator with a new unit or a manual unit, having the valve already in place should minimize dealing with the waste. Simply a matter of throwing on a piece of hose to the, up to that point, unused barb.

You could certainly could switch to a manual diaphragm pump. Or eliminate the pump entirely. Although as you noted that could cause an issue someday.

Doing either doesn't have to be to bad a job if the old pump and valve still work. Just empty and flush out your tank real well repeatedly and then finally fill it with clean water mixed with say Pinesol or Mr. Clean. Then pump some of that through the overboard system before you start working on it.

Even if the pump doesn't wok letting the tank sit over night or so open to the pump should get some of that soapy water to the pump it sounds like. Based on your statement that the pump leaks waste water now.

Lots of good ideas here . Thanks everyone .

I would seal the ocean dump portion , and close the sea cock .

Purchase a high quality manual diaphram bilge pump.

Mount it on a board so it is portable and can pump your boat, dink or by simply having the proper fitting that fits ,,your deck waste discharge .

AS a manual bilge pump is a safety item , so will need to be aboard anyway , the only expense is the end for the deck fitting.

The Poop police will love ya!! No onboard discharge.

Back
Top Bottom