Old 01-14-2019, 08:37 PM   #1

City: Hope Island Marina. QLD
Vessel Name: M V Justace
Vessel Model: Lyscrest 42 Aft Cabin
Woody's Water Heaters 30 Litre

Would anyone know where I may buy Elements, Valves and Thermostats for a Woody's 30 ltr Water Heater. The company went out of business in June 2011 but Marine Direct Australia had spares but they seem to have also gone now as well. Mine is OK right now but do need a new relief valve that leaks now and then. Any advice will be welcome. Robin
MV Justace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:51 PM   #2
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
I have found that many parts like relief valves and elements are generic parts that can be sourced at a number of dealers or plumbing stores. Likely you will have to take the old one with you or have the tags and possibly a picture.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:57 PM   #3
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Themostats and possibly even heating elements and relief valves could be generic. The important thing is it is made with NPT fittings so the generic part will fit. Check the relief valve as it is easy to remove.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:27 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Robin
Note the info on the relief valve tag for pressure and temp, then check at Bunnings. I found a replacement there that was fine.

If you need an element at some point just post details. I replaced my 75 litre water heater recently and kept stuff readily removable, including the element which is only 5 years old.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:52 PM   #5

Woody's Elements

Just had a look under the cover and the element is red and looks like its an 1800 watt one (which would be the original one) when the data recommends a 750 watt one to ensure we get a few more years out of it. The unit itself is working OK and in great condition.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5773.jpg  
Old 01-14-2019, 10:49 PM   #6

Hi Brian, when you get time (not urgent) could you check and see what wattage that element is in the old tank? If its 1000 or 750 I would be interested in buying it mate. Also the thermostat could worth buying as well if it will fit our unit. Robin
Old 01-14-2019, 11:13 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Robin
I doubt the element will be suitable for you. Its a 1500W. Thread is 30mm (1 1/2" pipe thread?) and overall length needed is 290mm.

The thermostat is on the boat. It looked identical to the one in the new heater, so I'll keep it as a spare.
Attached Thumbnails
Torrid element 1.jpg   Torrid elemet 2.jpg  
Old 01-15-2019, 12:55 AM   #8
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
You can get spare parts for Woody's water heaters here.

Woodys Water Heater Elements, Valves, Thermostats & Spare Parts

According to this supplier the woody's relief valve is a unique 2-stage design, but I'd expect any relief valve with the right pressure setting and thread size would work.

Edit: Ahhh I re-read your post and you say that have gone bust as well. Maybe you can buy plenty of spare at a bankruptcy option.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:57 PM   #9
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
Robin: not sure why you think Marine Direct Australia has gone out of business? I have bought complete replacement spares for my 80l Woody heater relatively recently and just checked their website again having seen your post. I was able to select a part and put it into the check-out process; I didn't get any out-of-business messages (although I didn't go the whole way). I have the 1800W heating element (I use it to help load my genset up a bit apart from being quicker to heat from cold at the dock) and I bought the slightly unusual pressure relief valve and other bits and pieces. I added a tempering valve from Bunnings....Woody didn't supply/offer one of these.
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Pentiction
Vessel Name: Bluefin
You can get a replacement relief valve at any plumbing shop, Most valves are Pressure/Temperature 1/2 inch,3/4 inch NPT. If your dealing with metric tread that should not be a big issue either metric to national pipe tread fittings are available.
Ejdakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:28 AM   #11

City: Sydney
Marine Direct Australia is still in business after 20 years and has all of the original Woodys parts available.

The only change is that the elements are now 240 volt 1000 watt. This was done so the marina power posts did not have such a large loads and would pop the circuit breaker. Also much easier on smaller gensets. 110 volt elements are a special order, but very few 110 volt water heaters were ever sold.

The original earthing/bonding wire supplied by Woody's and that attaches to the thermostat bracket needs to be replaced with tinned wire for safety reasons. Woodys only used a copper wire which corroded. There are full details on parts, earthing and system bleeding on their website.
Scott Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:44 AM   #12
FF
Guru

In the US common home replacement items like heating elements come in quality as well as power variations.

In much of FL the titanium heating elements cost double , but are well worth it.

A traveling boat has no idea of the water quality from a dock hose .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote