Windshield washer valve leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wkearney99

Guru
Vessel Name
Solstice
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
My GB 47 Eastbay has had an intermittent leak from the AC vents over the port side windshield. Not often and not constant and previously had only happened during delivery during rough conditions with a lot of spray. I had been thinking it was due to a leak coming down from the flybridge "somehow". I may have found a different source.... the windshield washer system valve. They're plumbed to use fresh water.

Right above the windshields is an air plenum for the HVAC. That plenum has various gauges mounted into removable panels (computank, dc helm switches, radio, etc). Behind the panel above the port windshield is a Danfoss valve, part# EV210A. It has a 1/2" rubber line into it and a 1/4" whale-type plastic line coming out. I think that's what has been causing the intermittent leak. The coincidence seems to be powering up the fresh water pump, not necessarily the operation of the washer system.

The body of the valve is able to rotate on the fitting. The brass line fitting is secured to the boat, but the black/gray electrical portion of the valve can be turned around where it meets the brass. Is the solenoid supposed to be able to rotate like this?

I couldn't quite tell exactly where the water was leaking, but it did not seem to be coming from the line fittings.

Is the valve seat a serviceable part? And is this valve used anywhere else in the boat? If I'm ordering parts I might as well order more than one if it's used elsewhere.

Meanwhile I'll try and track down the shutoff valve that feeds that line to at least avoid the potential for continued leaks. I don't really imagine needing to use the washers all that frequently, so taking it out of service might be less trouble in the long run. But I do like to make sure whatever systems remain present are actually functioning properly.

Back
Top Bottom