Old 01-13-2009, 03:43 AM   #41
City: Full time cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle
Vessel Model: Californian 50' Cockpit M/V
RE: Windlass & anchoring

nomadwilly wrote:

The only thing I'm still wondering about is do you pull the rode down into the locker by yourself or*does someone feed the line down to you?
*Marin and Jim,
If you have trouble with the stiffness of 3 strand use Brait. 5/8 Brait costs about $1.65 a foot .. not cheap but it's performance piling and unpiling or comming up out of a chain locker is seamless .. always*without a hitch.

Hey Eric, I can get the rode into the locker either way. But if I'm doing it by myself I have to flake the line out of the box onto the deck so that it is laying right, then I can pull it into the the locker.
I had thought about braided line but I was concerened about the lack of stretch. Now I'm wondering if that would be that big of a deal. I always have a minimum of 100' of rode out. That's 50' 3/8 chain and 50' 3/4 nylon. If that were braid surely there would be a good amount of stretch in 50' of line? What's been your experience?

Jim Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:55 PM   #42
Master and Commander
City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Windlass & anchoring

Here's my Coot's windlass and bollard.* (Boat is decorating primer paint.)

Betting I will feel secure towards the bow.

(That's Coot #5 ahead.)

-- Edited by markpierce on Tuesday 11th of January 2011 01:56:10 AM

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #43
City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RE: Windlass & anchoring

Jim Spence,
I missed your question last month an do have a comment. Marin mentioned it but you must have missed that. I use BRAIT. It's a line developed for anchoring*** ...the only such line that I know of. See 2bucks post. I can't remember for sure but I think it has lots of stretch. My 5/8" Brait is over kill for my boat and 3/4" is probably OKill for yours. I know smaller dia line stretches more so if your concerned about stretch you could change to 5/8" line. But unless you have another reason to change I'd wear out the 3/4" line first.
Another thought is to change the rode line and use it for mooring line where chafing is a big problem. One could use bowlines instead of spliced loops so you can change the size of the loops and/or the length of the lines to insure the line is'nt always at the same spot on the line.

Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote