Old 10-13-2010, 10:00 AM   #21
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
RE: why is the shower the only drain that ends up in the bilge?

Baker - another question/debate - why have a check valve on*a bilge pump ( except for really deep draft vessels of course)? I have 4 bilge pumps and 2 shower sumps pumping overboard and not one check valve on any on*these 6 lines.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:22 AM   #22

City: Cape Coral FL
Vessel Name: Say GoodBye
Vessel Model: 21 Mako

Raritan CP -
"And btw, it's also an outstanding toilet bowl cleaner...safe for use in a Lectra/San, Electro Scan or PuraSan and can also be safely combined with white vinegar."

Is it OK to pump vinegar through the toilet and into a Purasan treatment system?
Seems like it might help reduce the odor for winterizing.

thanks
R.,

ralphyost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #23
Guru

City: AR

Yes...I thought that's what I said, Ralph.*
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #24

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure

Just a suggestion, which works well for us.*
Our shower outlet is connected directly to a pump - no sump involved - and we have a hold-down switch just outside the shower cabinet.
The pump cannot be left running and it limits the time someone will use the shower as they notice the shower base begin to fill with water.
Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #25
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

Just a suggestion, which works well for us.
Our shower outlet is connected directly to a pump - no sump involved - and we have a hold-down switch just outside the shower cabinet.
The pump cannot be left running and it limits the time someone will use the shower as they notice the shower base begin to fill with water.

My previous boat, a Camano 31, was plumbed this way, except the sealed switch was inside the enclosure away from the water stream. As the water level rose an inch or so hold the button down a few seconds till it was pumped out and so on. No problems in the 4 years I owned her.
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:37 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

Quote:
Steve wrote:

Just a suggestion, which works well for us.

My previous boat, a Camano 31, was plumbed this way, except the sealed switch was inside the enclosure away from the water stream. As the water level rose an inch or so hold the button down a few seconds till it was pumped out and so on. No problems in the 4 years I owned her.
Steve W
Mine is similar.* On the electrical panel it is called "sump" but how it works is, you switch it on at the electrical panel but to actually ACTIVATE*it there is a switch in the shower itself.* There is a teak grid in the shower so it takes awhile for enough water to collect that you start to slosh around, at which point you activate the pump with the switch inside the shower.**That switch is a metal knob that pulls out.* I wish I could think of something to liken it to, maybe a choke?* It only pulls out half an inch or so.* Works great.

I had the opportunity to take a shower on a late model fleming a few years back and it had an incredibly slick system.* the shower was corian or something of that sort and there was a trough around the whole shower pan floor, again hard to describe--kind of like an infinity pool, the water just flowed over the edge of the shower pan down*out of sight and was whisked away by a pump that must have been on a float switch or something??? it was utterly silent.* Very Very nice.* But it was a Fleming so I guess it would be.*

Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:33 PM   #27
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
Capn Chuck wrote:

Daddyo wrote:

I intentionally removed by nearly horizontal feeding shower sump and run mine into the bilge. My thinking is this and I have tested my theory for six years:
-If the shower runs into the bilge then the bilge gets flushed on a regular basis.
-You want your bilge pump to get some regular use
-You want to know when your bilge pump isn't working from showers rather then when it's needed when sinking.
In every boat we have been in that the shower drained into the bilge, the smell is terrible. In addition you can pretty much guarantee the bilge pump is going to get fouled with hair and everything else that gets down the drain. IMO, this is not a good idea. Chuck

I have to agree, running the shower into the bilge is bound to cause smells and problems.* My bilge stays dry unless there's a problem.* I like it that way.

My shower drain runs directly to a pump (through a filter screen).* Turn the pump on, take a shower, turn the pump off.* It's supposed to be able to run dry for a few minutes.* The switch is in the head compartment with the shower.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #28
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
Steve wrote:............... My previous boat, a Camano 31, was plumbed this way, except the sealed switch was inside the enclosure away from the water stream. As the water level rose an inch or so hold the button down a few seconds till it was pumped out and so on. No problems in the 4 years I owned her.
Steve W
I guess I should have read all the posts before I posted.*

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:45 PM   #29
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Maybe I need to better explain my system better. The shower drains to the bilge but the pump sits down in a sump. The shower drain catches all the hair. In five years the pump has never clogged and I do check it every year or so. After showers I hit the manual switch and pump the bilge virtually dry. When underway I like to run the 190 degree water for a few minutes to clean anything that might be in there. Because my bilge gets "cleaned" every day or several times a day and the pump sits in a sump there is NO SMELL. My configuration should not be confused with a bilge holding many gallons of shower or any other water.

Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote