Old 03-27-2023, 05:23 AM   #1

City: Long Beach
Marine tank/toilet issue

Hey y’all I’m new here but have heard great things so here we go. Currently working a 110 hatteras. We have older style pneumatic toilets working off air compressors which flow tons of water. They constantly back up or over flow. We have pumped out (or tried too) every night and we get some stuff moving but never a lot, also can’t see how tank is full as it’s 150 gallons with only couple people using.
The macerated has a hard time pulling from the tank, to test we pulled off the line going to the tank and sucked water through and it is working fine. Back up cokes out of the over flow on side of boat as well. Try pumping out from the waste with pump out boat and nothing comes up either. What can be going on!
Chrism6784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:58 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Not familiar with your style system but pump out issues are frequently related to a plug vent. Without a vent the pump out only gets a small amount before building a vacuum in the tank.

Best to locate the tank vent and the through hull fittings. Both are potentials for blockage. Hose and vent ftgs should be fairly large (1"+) and straight through. Once assured they are clean you can glush with a hose at each pump out.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 10:12 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. Send a PM to Peggie Hall. Her user name is the Head Mistress. She is fantastic with all things heads and holding tanks.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 10:42 AM   #4
Guru

City: AR
No need for a PM, I'm reading the thread. And your problem is the classic indication of a blocked holding tank vent.

All tank vents have two main functions: to provide an escape for air displaced by incoming contents and provide a source of air to replace contents as they're pulled out. When air displaced by incoming waste cannot escape out the vent the tank becomes pressurized, creating increasing back pressure that prevents the toilet from flushing.

Without a source of air to replace contents as they're being sucked out of the tank, the pump will pull a vacuum that'll prevent it from pulling out more than a gallon or two. A particularly strong pumpout can even implode a tank.

Do NOT use the toilet again or try to pump out or dump the tank until you've cleared the vent.

The two most common locations for a vent blockage are the vent thru-hull and the other end of the vent line--that end of the hose and the vent fitting on the tank. Start by cleaning out the thru-hull...use a screwdriver blade, ice pick--whatever works. If that doesn't result in a spew out the vent, you'll need to relieve the pressure before removing the vent line from the tank to clean them out...so open the deck pumpout fitting VERY CAREFULLY with a hose at the ready. Be sure you're UPwind of it! Scrape out that end of the vent line and the vent fitting on the tank...reconnect the vent line.

What size is the vent line/thru-hull (which btw, is NOT an overflow...using it as one is the most likely reason for the blockage)?

Btw...what is the make/model/approx age of the toilets? Would the owner be open replacing them with current toilets that use a lot less water and have lower current draw? There are several makes/models to choose from (fwiw, I do not sell ANYTHING, I just give help boat owners solve--better yet PREVENT--problems 'cuz I enjoy doing it).

You're welcome to send me a PM if you'd like to discuss all or any of this in more detail than is practical in a discussion forum.

--Peggie
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 12:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Is there a filter in the vent hose? That could be the issue with a blocked vent also. I don’t like filters in the vent. They can get blocked and also stop or slow down air flow. No air flow in and out of the tank will cause anaerobic bacteria to grow. You want aerobic bacteria. Aerobic bacteria doesn’t smell.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:39 PM   #6

City: Long Beach
Hey thank you so much for the response. We are replacing the toilets with new macerator toilets so no more air pressure ones. While that will help it will not solve our other problems. So today we tried a pump out from the deck pump out and also the through hull with no results. We pulled off the hoses from the top of the tank to allow the poo to come out of the tank and pumped out what we could. We also pumoed the vent line which is clear, now. Tried to macerate and still it won’t pull from the tank.
We are replacing the macerator as it is older pump and the impeller is still good before they gets mentioned. So tomorrow I may try to pull the pick up line and see if it is clogged
Chrism6784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:55 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I really like the Raritan Marine Elegance heads. They are bery reliable and a great head.