where to connect high pressure regulator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt Kangeroo

Vessel Name
NONE
Vessel Make
NONE
Hi guys, I'm finally installing a city water connection on the boat so the wife does not have to keep filling the water tanks. ;)

I'm having difficulty finding a good location for the regulator where we won't be tripping over the hose. The regulator is the recessed unit which requires cutting a big hole, not the portable inline type.

Question, the manufacturer says it should be tied into the cold water line after (downstream) the pump but running the line from the regulator to the pump room will be a pita. Is there any reason I can't simply tie it into the cold water line at any one of the sinks?

Anyplace downstream of the pump should work. If you have a fresh water wash down you can connect directly to that tap with a double female connector and simply put a pressure regulator on the shoreside tap. You won't have to cut a hole in your boat.

I'm not sure I get this, don't you want to reduce the pressure entering the boat? The way I see it, unless you run more lines to each service (sink toilet etc) from the reducer, you need to reduce the pressure in your potable system. Therefore the regulator has to be the first thing in your water system?

The pressure regulator sits between the shore tap and the entry point at the boat.

Shore supply > pressure regulator > boat. Connection should be after the domestic pressure pump, i.e. the high pressure side.

City water pressure is usually 90 psi or more, the pressure regulator should be set at about 40 psi. The shore supply should be shut off whenever you leave the boat. I'm not a fan of these setups and feel much safer filling my tanks when needed. A ruptured line with city water connected can sink your boat.

The other option is to use an RV regulator which stays on the dock and protects your hose too.

The hassle with hooking into a sink faucet is it may be a smaller size than the original one from the water pump.

This will reduce the volume of water available for devices , shower, dish washer washing machine ,,,

Either way I would turn it off on departing the boat , as well as turning off the HW heating element , should a leak occur.

Hmason, now that's thinking outside the box! I like that idea. FF I did look at the in-line regulators that hook directly to the dockside tap but thought the built in ones were more professional.

Unfortunately my anchor/deck wash down is salt water. I just rebuilt the whole thing with all new line and pump but I suppose I could modify it for fresh water somehow. I wouldn't need the pump anymore, on the other hand it would use more fresh water when away from the dock. Il'l have to think about this.

The other option is to use an RV regulator which stays on the dock and protects your hose too.

Either way I would turn it off on departing the boat..., should a leak occur.

...I wouldn't need the pump anymore, on the other hand it would use more fresh water when away from the dock. Il'l have to think about this.

We installed one of these to protect the hose and as a backup in case the boat side reducer fails. It drops the dock side water pressure down to 40-50 psi. About $10.

Amazon.com: Camco 40055 Brass Water Pressure Regulator: Automotive

On the boat side we have this. It drops the pressure down to 35 psi.

Amazon.com : Jabsco 44410-1000 Marine Water Pressure Flush Mount Regulator (35-PSI, White) : Boating Water Pressure Pumps : Sports & Outdoors

Away from the dock, we still use the boats water pump and we use less water.

When tied to shore and I forget to turn the dock side water on, the water pump kicks on as a reminder.

There are some who have added a water meter that will deliver a set number a gallons. That sounds like a good idea in case you forget to turn the dock side water off and have an on board failure.

I would not change the wash down to fresh water as you don't want to run down your water when washing the anchor. We added a second wash down so we have one fresh and one "salt." You will find many uses for a fresh water wash down such as hosing off the windlass and railings etc. when you are not dockside.

Hi larry, the flush mount is the one I bought in the Shurflo brand @ 65psi. Could you advise where on the boat it is located and where it ties into your plumbing?

I'm trying to strategically locate it so I don't have the hose sprawling across half the deck when connected to dock side water.

If I tie in to the pressure side does anyone know if I need a check valve to prevent back filling the tanks or can it not get past the pump?

if the incoming pressure regulator is set at 40 pounds or below, it won't get past the pump. You can get away with higher pressure, but why stress the system?

Ours is mounted on the port side deck just under a set of removable stairs, going up to the fore-deck. It's tied (t'd) into the cold water supply with it's own ball valve.

Friends on an Albin, have an exterior faucet off the swim platform. They added the Camco reducer and just ran the hose to the cold water on the faucet and open it up. It seems to work well and no holes in the house to drill. :)

Just my 2 cents, but the 65 psi seems high as hmason mentioned. Our pump is set to turn off at 45 psi and on at ~25 psi. What's your pump set for? Our Sureflo reducer is set at 35 psi.

Thanks for all the help guys. Another question, if I hook the regulator into a cold water line at one of the sinks (upstream from the pump and pressure tank) will this cause problems with the pressure tank as essentially it will be pressurized backwards???

...if I hook the regulator into a cold water line at one of the sinks (upstream from the pump and pressure tank) will this cause problems with the pressure tank as essentially it will be pressurized backwards???

You should be fine. The pressure tank is T'd in to your water system. It doesn't recognize flow direction.

We installed one of these to protect the hose and as a backup in case the boat side reducer fails. It drops the dock side water pressure down to 40-50 psi. About $10.

Amazon.com: Camco 40055 Brass Water Pressure Regulator: Automotive

On the boat side we have this. It drops the pressure down to 35 psi.

Amazon.com : Jabsco 44410-1000 Marine Water Pressure Flush Mount Regulator (35-PSI, White) : Boating Water Pressure Pumps : Sports & Outdoors

Away from the dock, we still use the boats water pump and we use less water.

When tied to shore and I forget to turn the dock side water on, the water pump kicks on as a reminder.

There are some who have added a water meter that will deliver a set number a gallons. That sounds like a good idea in case you forget to turn the dock side water off and have an on board failure.

Ditto here. Our dock has enough pressure to swell the water hose. We have the regulator at the boat, and added the inline regulator/ a Y/ and an RV inline water filter followed by the hose. Wish I had a pic, where the hose enters the house (and twin 30 amp cords) in the stbd walkway, I wrap the two cords along with the hose around the near stanchion and make a straight run into the receptacles. Inevitable the hoses and cords get bumped at times, and you have to step across them if going to the bow on the Stbd side, but this seems to work best for us. I tie everything in place with the fancy little Velcro wraps from WM. BTW, I seem to remember using a "90" out of the regulator attachment at the house for a while, allowing the hose to follow the deck. Perhaps that could work for you?

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Folks contemplating using the RV pressure regulators should spring the extra bucks for the take apart repairable model.

In the South much of the dock water is very hard, so a take apart and rub with a scotch-brite pad is at times required.

Had one on my boat. It was installed up in the bow. There is a fresh water wash down faucet for rinsing off the anchor rhode. They just teed that line. Would also be easy to put it in the stern as many boats have a rinse off shower wand. Just tee the cold water line. I removed mine. Don't plan to be tied to the dock enough to justify it, and felt the risk wasn't worth the limited benefit in my situation.

Ted

Well, I finally found a spot for the reg but based on the great advice here I did away with the recessed unit in favour of the in-line. I drilled a small hole and installed a flange mount shut off valve inside the swimdeck shower box and tied into the shower cold water line. I'll attach the in-line reg at the dock side to protect the hose as well as the boat. The beauty is when away from the dock, the system becomes a fresh water deck wash.

What a pita this whole thing has been, what is it about boats that turns minor jobs into major undertakings. After pressure testing the system to 65psi I have been chasing leaks from one end of the boat to the other.

Thanks to all for the advice & guidance.

I am glad I redid my fresh and salt system with pex last summer. Went very fast except getting in to some tight places remove the old fasteners and replace with new pipe hangers.

Used the stainless rings with the ratcheting crimper......not one leak after install....nor after 6 months and now 700 miles down ICW.

When I discover certain fittings need regular removal...at that point I may go with slip on versus the ring type but so far alterations have been so easy and inexpensive it has been hard to justify when I still have some extra hose and fittings in a drawer.

Well, I finally found a spot for the reg but based on the great advice here I did away with the recessed unit in favour of the in-line. I drilled a small hole and installed a flange mount shut off valve inside the swimdeck shower box and tied into the shower cold water line. I'll attach the in-line reg at the dock side to protect the hose as well as the boat. The beauty is when away from the dock, the system becomes a fresh water deck wash.

What a pita this whole thing has been, what is it about boats that turns minor jobs into major undertakings. After pressure testing the system to 65psi I have been chasing leaks from one end of the boat to the other.

Thanks to all for the advice & guidance.

Thanks CK for the follow up!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom