Old 06-13-2013, 06:48 AM   #1
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
What kind of a horn do you have or need

For whatever reason our boat does not have a permanent horn and we rely on the air can horn, which is very loud especially when blown in the cabin as my better half found out last weekend. We don't get much fog here but I still worry that a can or two of air would not last if you did get into fog for a prolonged period. I think "real" horns also have an esthetic value. Would or do you have high or low tone horns, air or electric. Just looking for thoughts of what works, looks good, loud enough and most of all keeps us safe.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:53 AM   #2

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
LaBomba, I love the Bomba.
Attached Thumbnails
hoorn-edison-verzameling-1-gr.jpg  
123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #3

City: Erie PA
Vessel Name: Endless Endeavor
Vessel Model: Custom
I spent my money on a good quality loud hailer and a cheap no moving parts horn to pass inspection. I have had nice horn but never seem to last more then a few years before they break. I like the ability to tell someone my action over a hailer plus that can't cover fog signal if the need every comes up.
funangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I dont have one. I don't think its a local requirement, but I'm not sure.
Down here no one would hear you anyway.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:06 AM   #5

City: Green Turtle Cay/Western NC
Conch, Triton, and Whelk (horse conch). We must uphold the traditions of saluting the sunset!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:08 AM   #6

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Okay, a more serious answer. I always carried a Plastimo air horn onboard because in Europe we need to carry a "Fog Horn" Never used it (don't know if there is still compressed air in the bottle), after 12+ years still in its original plastic sealed bag. Also I never intend to use a Horn. Enough noice makers already on the waters. My 2 Centavos.

Cees
Attached Images

123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
Mine's an air horn, with a small hose from the horn to a truck air horn compressor mounted under the flybridge. It's pretty loud, and the air supply is inexhaustible as long as there's battery power.
Attached Thumbnails
horn.jpg  
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
FF
Guru

WE use 2 horns , a dinky electric for tooting bridges and locks or defining passing situations .

And a big air horn with DC compressor and an old propane bottle as accumulator, manual pull valve to operate..

Some bridge tenders are watching TV and never hear a dinky horn or a VHF call.

The air horn is considered less aggressive than the starting cannon needed at times.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #9
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
We have a Khalenberg whistle tied to a small compressor and 2.5 gallon air tank. When we bought the boat, the electric horn wasn't working, so we replaced it with an Ongaro electric dual trumpet. It is much louder than the old AFI and should last longer as it is all stainless. Considered an air horn since we already have the compressor, but the Admiral was adamant that we didn't need a louder horn (there was a comment about refusing to be on deck as we enter and exit port if I got a louder horn). Also figured that it is a better backup in the event the compressor ever goes out. We also cary an air can horn, which travels with us in the dinghy. We do use our horn and whistle as appropriate. All this said, on our sailboat we only ever had the aircan and it served us very well. As much as I like the whistle, it is more a novelty on our Tug than anything else. Probably wouldn't have put the money into it had it not come wiht the boat.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
Guru

The boat horn is electric single trumpet, not very loud but passes USCG inspection and stays dry so it has lasted. It might be original to the boat. I also have an automatic electric horn built into my VHF and this is what I use while underway in the fog.
I also have a canister type as a back up located below at the helm.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #11
Guru

We have an air horn but rarely use it as no one understands sound signals anyway. All you would get back from the other vessel would be the middle finger salute.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #12
Guru

We have two double horns. A quieter electric horn and a VERY LOUD Buell double air horn. The air horn is connected to an automatic sounder so that it goes off every 2 minutes in fog. We fitted the air horn and a radar reflector after being nearly run down by a fishing boat in thick fog in New England. Sounds very manly!!!
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #13
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I had Kahlenberg D-2 horns installed on my Coot instead of the builder's standard electric horn.

Hear it here:

Model D-2 Chimetone Air Horn | Kahlenberg

It's loud enough that it's wise not to be on the foredeck.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #14
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Blue Sky came with a Kahlenberg air horn that is very loud and pleasant to the ears.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #15
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
We have triple Buel air horns tied to a pancake compressor with fittings for air hoses for tools. We have a loud electric horn. We have a very loud hailer horn tied into the automated hailer sequences hailer/radio.
Attached Thumbnails
P1080421.jpg   P1080423.jpg  
Old 06-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #16
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
I have canned air horns....and both of my Standard Horizon VHF's have built in Loud Hailers as well as horns...mostly pre-programmed...and they are pretty loud.
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
My boat came with twin electric horns which work fine for their intended purpose. But I do admit to having serious horn envy when around guys like markpierce who have very manly horns. I like that his horn exaggerates his boat's presence much like a small dog with a HUGE bark. (...and I mean that in the nicest way!) It definitely gets your attention which, after all, is what a horn is supposed to do.

I added a PA speaker wired through the VHF radio and a FogMate horn controller which sounds my horn at 2 minute intervals during fog. I use them both, but wish my radio/PA would allow me to listen to a crewmember on the foredeck or dock hand, using the PA speaker as a microphone in a receive mode. My next radio will have that function.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #18
Master and Commander

Presume the air compressor occupies the space where a genset would otherwise be on the Coot.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #19
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I've been shopping for horns today, was on the water yesterday and less than impressed with my current trumpets. Thanks for the link Mark as it has been quite helpful.

Model K-380 seems to meet my Admirals idea of acceptable.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #20
Master and Commander

Good choice, Craig. Sounds great.

Model K-380 Chrome | Kahlenberg