Old 11-26-2016, 12:44 PM   #41

City: Coastal SC
Vessel Model: Viking 65 CP MY (run at trawler speeds !)
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jerry View Post
it was not a new design the 63s and 74s had the same setup,they built all of the motor yachts down there the 44s 55s 63s 74s 82s then they shut it down and the boats that were not finished were run up to NJ with no interior and finished up there. somr layed around up there for 2 or three yrs
The 63 and 74 has a similar setup but not the "same" setup. You ever seen a 63 with bulwark bow and the anchor thru the bow, like a ship ? Every 63 I've ever seen had the same flat bow and full height stainless rails like the 55. Maybe the 63 had a day head....that part I don't know.

Ironically the 55 had a little larger master stateroom than the 65....this because the 55 had a tiny aft deck with no cockpit....but mostly because the 55 used Detroit 8V engines and therefore had a much smaller engine room than the 12V powered 65 like mine (with two 20kW generators instead of one)

Another difference are spiral staircases to the staterooms and the flybridge, where they were just straight on the older models.

Somewhere on the net is a 1993 or so magazine article about the new 65 Viking CPMY which shows the details. It also mentions MAN engines as standard however....thank goodness ours has Detroits, as MAN engines scare me to death with their high maintenance costs. In fact if it had MAN's we never would have bought it in the first place.

The owners manuals that came with the boat state it was made in New Gretna, NJ.
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:58 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post
Hit it repeatedly with a big hammer. When the yard finishes repairing it, check back and let us know what it was.
Uh...yes...that would be brilliant, to damage something for no reason and then get to pay extra for it to be repaired.
Old 11-26-2016, 01:02 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Something must be connected to it on the inside of the boat - either a cable if it's a transducer, or a hose if it's an intake scoop/screen. You need to locate it on the inside of the boat.
Yep....next time I'm there will find that and report back.... OTOH almost hope I find only screw heads so I can unscrew it and get the diamonds out !
Old 11-26-2016, 03:22 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune View Post
The 63 and 74 has a similar setup but not the "same" setup. You ever seen a 63 with bulwark bow and the anchor thru the bow, like a ship ? Every 63 I've ever seen had the same flat bow and full height stainless rails like the 55. Maybe the 63 had a day head....that part I don't know.

Ironically the 55 had a little larger master stateroom than the 65....this because the 55 had a tiny aft deck with no cockpit....but mostly because the 55 used Detroit 8V engines and therefore had a much smaller engine room than the 12V powered 65 like mine (with two 20kW generators instead of one)

Another difference are spiral staircases to the staterooms and the flybridge, where they were just straight on the older models.

Somewhere on the net is a 1993 or so magazine article about the new 65 Viking CPMY which shows the details. It also mentions MAN engines as standard however....thank goodness ours has Detroits, as MAN engines scare me tof o death with their high maintenance costs. In fact if it had MAN's we never would have bought it in the first place.

The owners manuals that came with the boat state it was made in New Gretna, NJ.
you are right i but i do know that some of them layed around up there for 2or 3 yrs and the year of the build was changed on the transom? also the quality control at the old gulf star factory was no near as good as NJ. just my 2cents
capt jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:41 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jerry View Post
you are right i but i do know that some of them layed around up there for 2or 3 yrs and the year of the build was changed on the transom? also the quality control at the old gulf star factory was no near as good as NJ. just my 2cents
Well, as I say, by 1993 Dick Lazarra and his brother Brad were supposedly working out of New Jersey and I have never seen another yacht like this one.

I talked with Dick Lazarra (long retired now) when I first bought it and I think he said they made six of them... some of which had no cockpit and were full 65 feet of boat with much larger master stateroom. I saw a 1991 or so 63 Viking CP MY at the downtown marina in Fort Meyers, FL about two years ago, and to me it looks almost antique compared to my design....although admittedly, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some might like the older design better.

(reminds me on the Hatteras Forum I once commented that my ideal "look" was more commercial/ship like a Nordhavn 47, [but I couldn't afford one] and was astounded that many there thought the Nordhavn design downright "ugly" !! )

One thing I've wondered for years you might know....is there such a thing as a Gulfstar 55 MY ? I think 1987 or '88 was the first year of the 55 so one would think there might be a few labeled Gulfstar before Viking bought them, but never seen one...all labeled Viking.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:32 PM   #46
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Something must be connected to it on the inside of the boat - either a cable if it's a transducer, or a hose if it's an intake scoop/screen. You need to locate it on the inside of the boat.
That's my bet as well.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:04 PM   #47

Quote:
Well, as I say, by 1993 Dick Lazarra and his brother Brad were supposedly working out of New Jersey and I have never seen another yacht like this one.

I talked with Dick Lazarra (long retired now) when I first bought it and I think he said they made six of them... some of which had no cockpit and were full 65 feet of boat with much larger master stateroom. I saw a 1991 or so 63 Viking CP MY at the downtown marina in Fort Meyers, FL about two years ago, and to me it looks almost antique compared to my design....although admittedly, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some might like the older design better.

(reminds me on the Hatteras Forum I once commented that my ideal "look" was more commercial/ship like a Nordhavn 47, [but I couldn't afford one] and was astounded that many there thought the Nordhavn design downright "ugly" !! )

One thing I've wondered for years you might know....is there such a thing as a Gulfstar 55 MY ? I think 1987 or '88 was the first year of the 55 so one would think there might be a few labeled Gulfstar before Viking bought them, but never seen one...all labeled Viking.
i think that someone on this forum has a 55 gulf star,not by viking
capt jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:31 PM   #48
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Uh...yes...that would be brilliant, to damage something for no reason and then get to pay extra for it to be repaired.
It was just a joke
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:34 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
It was just a joke
Obviously...but such a bad joke I couldn't resist commenting on it
Old 11-27-2016, 07:54 PM   #50
TG

City: Oceanside, CA
Vessel Name: Tera Grace
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
Chirp Wide Beam Transducer.
Attached Thumbnails
pm111_xducer_comm_install.jpg   pm111lhlm-hw.jpg  
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:09 AM   #51
Guru

City: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG View Post
Chirp Wide Beam Transducer.
I think TG might be closest in his guess. I saw a box like this on a torpedo retriever once, connected to a thermal recording depthsounder rated over 36,000 feet. Big-azz transducer.

So Dune, what electronics do you have (or did the vessel used to have) that might fit these descriptions?
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:03 AM   #52
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
I know the history of this boat. An older couple had the boat when the captain passed away. Per his wishes the wife put his ashes in a black box and secured it near the keel.
Long live the Captain
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:54 AM   #53

Found out today from the yard that sure enough the box is a depth sounder transducer. But not quite what any of us thought....it is actually a "fairing block" made of wood that surrounds a much smaller transducer, which, sure enough is no longer used with the current electronics.

Closer examination of the photos reveals it is a bit more tapered at the forward side than I remembered....although being black on black I doubt anyone could tell that from the photos without knowing it to be the case.

Bottom line is they could remove it and plug the hull hole or they do nothing...doesn't hurt to just leave it be except for a miniscule increase in underwater friction.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:26 PM   #54
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Found out today from the yard that sure enough the box is a depth sounder transducer. But not quite what any of us thought....it is actually a "fairing block" made of wood that surrounds a much smaller transducer, which, sure enough is no longer used with the current electronics.
Actually that is exactly what I thought it was. A transducer in a block. Very common. Although the block these days is often made out of plastic.

You might want to use another yard if they couldn't figure thst out.

Just kidding, sort of.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:39 PM   #55
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Read through the entire thread and NO PICTURE!!!! Have no idea what it is.....
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:55 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Actually that is exactly what I thought it was. A transducer in a block. Very common. Although the block these days is often made out of plastic.

You might want to use another yard if they couldn't figure thst out.

Just kidding, sort of.
i presume all external transducers are in a block of some sort. It was the wood aspect that no one mentioned as a possibility....which is understandably odd on a 1993 vintage vessel.

As to the yard, they did figure it out once I pointed it out....it was not a priority item....they have actual work to do on the boat that is infinitely more important (hurricane Matthew related)
Old 11-28-2016, 03:16 PM   #57
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
"even the yard where they hauled her doesn't know what it is for. (and this is a major yard, south of Charleston, that has seen hundreds of boats my size before)"

Well, I can only go by what you post.

So good on them in the end.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote