Old 02-07-2014, 06:53 AM   #21
FF
Guru

Then the issue of insulating the pipe: Would it be possible to place the exhaust pipe INSIDE another stainless steel pipe with insolation between the two pipes. Then build the pipe system into a wooden box.

I would use a SS pipe if thru the cabin with a nifty SS screen to avoid burns.

IF the object is HEAT why throw the exhaust heat away with insulation?

I think this is a created problem , the side exhaust is no bother at all.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #22
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
We have a Webasto 2010, 90,000 btu, the exhaust air about 6 hot but not enough to burn, and 1 foot away is warm. Our bumpers are the 12 X 34 so at the distance to the dock not that hot. I dont think you need a H exhaust. I mean the exhaust pipe ring the fasten to the hull is not hot enough to damage the hull, caulking and/or paint. So a foot away it should not be hot enough to damage a boat or dock next to you. I would be more concerned about soot/than heat.

A local fab/metal shop should be able to make one for you. I would use the same hole pattern and screws as the existing exhaust ring. Why don't you wait to see if you need one.

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:16 PM   #23

City: Hong Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Then the issue of insulating the pipe: Would it be possible to place the exhaust pipe INSIDE another stainless steel pipe with insolation between the two pipes. Then build the pipe system into a wooden box.
That's exactly what I'm doing. A stainless steel exhaust pipe inside an insulated Glembring exhaust flue.

The H-type cap is to avoid any issues with wind and weather. And hopefully brings sooth away from the hull...
Searios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:39 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singleprop View Post
Does anyoneknow if the "Wallas" type heaters are the same type as the Webasto?

I am asking because "Wallas" has a thru-deck exhaust system and if the heater works the same way as the Webasto then at least there is a similar system that works, which would make my decision a bit easier.
The Wallas is a different exhaust type.

The Wallas uses a two tube design. The inner tube is exhaust out, and the outer tube is combustion air in.

The exhaust pipe is not very hot at all because of this design.

Also the Wallas furnaces are dead silent. Thats why I bought them
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:30 AM   #25
FF
Guru

That's exactly what I'm doing. A stainless steel exhaust pipe inside an insulated Glembring exhaust flue.

That is why I quoted your setup.
INSULATED pipe will trap the heat inside , instead of having it aid the vessel.

That is why I suggest an uninsulated SS shield with holes to let the warmth into the cabin.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:18 PM   #26

City: Hong Kong
The reference file that I posted claims that it is more energy efficient with an insulated pipe than with an un-insulated pipe - in other words - that the extra heat gained by insulating the pipe is offset by less efficient burning of the solid fuel.

In my case, the fuel is diesel so it's not relevant - but I don't want extra heat inside my cabin for 48 weeks of the year at 23 degree N - that's why it will be good with the insulated exhaust on my installation. If my boat was staying in a colder climate the un-insulatd pipe would be good.

Searios is offline   Reply With Quote