Old 05-30-2014, 03:17 PM   #21
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Well figured I'd do a follow up after running it everyday the whole weekend at the dock and when we crossed. We love it! Worked perfect! If our gauge was right we were going through about 300-350 gallons a day between washing the dusky multiple times a day, washing clothes multiple times a day, washing dishes, and other miscellaneous uses.
Wow, that is a huge amount of water. I figure we use 100-200 gallons a day at our house and that is with two kids who dirty/change clothes constantly. We likely use more towards a 100 gallons than 200 a day. We do have low flow toilets, shower heads, and front loading washing machine. The dishwasher only uses 10 gallons max.

Showers 40g - 4 x 10 minutes at 1GPM. The shower head is less than 1GPM though and I don't think the showers are 10 minutes.

Clothes washing 30g - 3 load at 10g each. I don't think we normally do three loads a day though.

Toilets Flushing 60g. 10 flushes per person at 1.5g per use. I don't know if we really go 10 times a day though.

Dishes 10g

Drinking/Cooking 2g. Maybe 2G.

So that is 142 gallons worse case and more likely closer to 100g since I doubt we do three loads of clothes each day, and while the kids are full of something, I don't think the something makes them flush the toilet.

Later,
Dan

dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:09 PM   #22
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Here in Santa Cruz, on dry land, they are pushing to hold us to 75 GPD per person. If you go over a little, you pay double. If you go over a lot, you pay 4x.

bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Yep, they were supposed to go on the bottom of the whole assembly but they hadn't measured the total height with mounts so we had to do with out.
There looks to be plenty of height to go under the pump base. The mounts are only about an 1 1/4" high or so. Or will that small increase in height block access to something else?
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:31 PM   #24
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
There looks to be plenty of height to go under the pump base. The mounts are only about an 1 1/4" high or so. Or will that small increase in height block access to something else?

I was talking about the whole metal frame that everything sits on. But I guess there is room just to put them on the HP pump, but were happy the way it is so we'll just leave it alone.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:13 PM   #25
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
Here in Santa Cruz, on dry land, they are pushing to hold us to 75 GPD per person. If you go over a little, you pay double. If you go over a lot, you pay 4x.

Spent last Friday and today donating money to your city coffers. Thought it nice to relocate here someday until reading your post.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:31 PM   #26
Guru

City: Port Vila
I would re-think the no flexible mounts thing. Vibration transmission from the HP pump is a prime cause of electronic, gauge and high pressue union failure on watermakers in my experience.
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:54 PM   #27
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
GPD is meaningless to most experienced users...they look for usage and size to how long they want the watermaker to run...which in many cases isn't 24/7.

Newer tech does give a few more options...but really it still boils down more to GPH and how long can it run with the way you set the system up/run/cruise your boat.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:49 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

but really it still boils down more to GPH and how long can it run with the way you set the system up/run/cruise your boat.
Which is based on your GPD needs. :-)

And that is why a higher GPH unit can be worth the extra money because you can run it less HPD to produce the amount of water you need for the coming days.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:

And that is why a higher GPH unit can be worth the extra money because you can run it less HPD to produce the amount of water you need for the coming days.
Which is what I was saying.....read the whole post...

Quote:
GPD is meaningless to most experienced users...they look for usage and size to how long they want the watermaker to run...which in many cases isn't 24/7.

Newer tech does give a few more options...but really it still boils down more to GPH and how long can it run with the way you set the system up/run/cruise your boat.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:30 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Which is what I was saying.....read the whole post...
I did. And it seemed to me by saying "GPD is meaningless" you were saying "GPD is meaningless". I guess I misunderstood you. My bad.

But either way we are apparently in agreement that it's not. :-)

And it is in fact one of the key criteria that you want to base your choice of a water maker on.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:45 PM   #31
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
GPD means less to me than it's derivative GPH or Lts/hr
I need to know how many hours it will take me to top my tanks up which equates to gen set time.
Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:55 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
I need to know how many hours it will take me to top my tanks up which equates to gen set time.
Cheers
Benn
...that's the example of what I was really talking about....
Old 06-08-2014, 04:58 PM   #33
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:

The problem is often not the cost of the higher output models, its the size.

When I had my boat refit and added the watermaker the shipyard had access to a couple year old takeout watermaker from a much larger boat. It had a large capacity, I do not remember but it was several hundred gallons per day.

The price was right. The size wasn't. The thing was huge. It would have not only required completely redoing the layout of my lazarette, it still would have fit so tight as to make maintenance a nightmare.

I opted for a 160GPD model, and paid more for it, but it actually fits in my lazarette and I still have room to move around and actually perform maintenance.

I have to run my generator approx 6 hours a day on the hook to keep the batteries up. That gives me time to make approz 42 gallons of water, which is in the range of what us two people actually use on the boat. A little make up water from time spent cruising and we're golden for laundry.

BTW, our watermaker is a DC unit. We do not need the generator running but like to run it when we run the watermaker because of the noise of the watermaker, which makes a thumping sound, significantly louder than the generator, which we cant really hear.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:11 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
Cheers
Benn
That is exactly what I was talking about. The GPD you use on your boat. Not the GPD the the watermaker makes . The faster a unit will top off your water tank/s and make up for whatever water you may be using while the maker is in use the less you have to run your Genset , engine or what ever to make that water.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:20 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
The problem is often not the cost of the higher output models, its the size.
Yes and that is one of the good things about the modular units. Their parts can be remotely mounted from each other to best take advantage of the space available. Unfortunately in smaller boats there may not be enough space available even for a larger output modular unit.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:42 AM   #36
FF
Guru

Read the GPD , divide by 24 , and decide how many hours you wish to power it .

There are DC units , but a couple of V belts is the least maint.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:14 AM   #37
Guru

About all you gain with an engine driven unit is the elimination of an AC or DC motor to drive the HP pump. Both of which are pretty reliable and require little or no routine maintenance.

In exchange for eliminating the electric motor you end up having to run your main engine to make water. Which might be fine if your moving for several hours every day or so. But if your at anchor days on end, it seems counter productive to me to ad run hours to your engine while remaining still.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #38
FF
Guru

Why the big engine?

Most noisemakers would appreciate lower AC loads while starting/operating air cond, so a watermaker and big commercial DC alternatior would be a fine balanced load fot 2 shives on the unit while in operation.

Lots of folks operate the noisemaker 10X as much as the propulsion engine .

Water water everywhere , with lots of gallons to drink!!
Old 06-09-2014, 02:15 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Why the big engine?

Most noisemakers would appreciate lower AC loads while starting/operating air cond, so a watermaker and big commercial DC alternatior would be a fine balanced load fot 2 shives on the unit while in operation.

Lots of folks operate the noisemaker 10X as much as the propulsion engine .

Water water everywhere , with lots of gallons to drink!!
Yeah you could run it off the Genset engine I guess. I thought you were referring to running it off the main engine.

Efficiency wise I'm not sure you gain anything by doing that. And most gensets are running well under their ideal load even when ACs are cycling. So the constant draw of a large AC motor could be better for the Genset than running the pump directly off the crank. But I'm not 100% sure on that.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:27 AM   #40
FF
Guru

And most gensets are running well under their ideal load even when ACs are cycling.

The oversizing is usually done by the boat assembler , after all he does not deal with the fuel bill. And 40% of 15KW is a better commission than 40% of 6kw .

For many boats that serve as dockside waterfront cottages , on the few outings a year the 15KW is a better option.

NO learning curve.

For a cruiser ,with seasons away from the power pole,, maybe not.