water system accumulator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erben Renewal

Greetings,

I recently had to replace my fresh water distribution pump and was wondering about whether or not I need to 'bleed/charge' my accumulator?

Happy Holidays

You shouldn't need to. It will just re-charge when the pump comes up to pressure.

I didn't need to bleed mine. But you will have some air in the system which will bleed off at the faucets.

....was wondering about whether or not I need to 'bleed/charge' my accumulator?

We've never had to with ours. However our current pump developed an odd problem a few years ago which is annoying but would take too long to describe here. But if in the end we decide to replace the pump we will do so with one of the newer and quieter demand-driven pumps that do not require an accumulator tank in the system.

Last edited:
We've never had to with ours. However our current pump developed an odd problem a few years ago which is annoying but would take too long to describe here. But if in the end we decide to replace the pump we will do so with one of the newer and quieter demand-driven pumps that do not require an accumulator tank in the system.

My boat came with one of those "newer and quieter demand-driven pumps that do not require an accumulator tank in the system". The PO replaced it after about four years and I replaced it not long after I bought the boat which would have been four or five years later. My replacement failed a few months ago. These pumps start and stop every time you draw water, no matter how small an amount. If you just turn the faucet on slightly, the pump chatters as it turns on and off. I believe that's why they failed.

I replaced my replacement with a standard pump and accumulator tank. It's much quieter as the pump only comes on after most of the water in the tank has been used and it runs until the tank is refilled (repressurized). For just a quick hand washing, the pump may not come on at all. It's quieter and I expect much longer life from the pump.

The pump/acumulator tank system mimcks the system used if you have a home and private well, just on a smaller scale. It's a better system.

Attachments

• boat 018.jpg
    boat 018.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Depends on how your system is set up and where the accumulator is. I've seen systems where the accumulator wouldn't do anything to keep the pump from running.

I'm dying to try one of the newer pumps but an accumulator and an old style (read way more inexpensive) pump may keep me happy.

Perhaps the success of the demand regulated pumps depends on the make and the installation. We've been on a number of boats that have them, including several GBs and have been very impressed by the virtually silent operation and excellent response to the demand, be it high or low.

One fellow we know with a GB42 woody replaced a Shureflow pump/accumulator setup identical to ours with a demand regulated pump (don't recall the brand) and his only complaint was that because the pump was virtually silent in operation he couldn't tell if it was working. The fact water came out of the taps should have been a clue, I would have thought.

Anyway they're used to the no-noise operation now and love it, particularly when they have guests on board. When a guest runs the water in the forward head at oh-dark-thirty in the morning there is now no pump noise in the rest of the boat.

I have no idea if these installations are always silent like this-- from Ron's post I guess they aren't. But based on what we've heard-- or not heard-- on the boats we've been on that had them we've been very impressed and figured that's the route to go if we elect to replace the pump we have now.

I agree with psneeld that the conventional system is fine and is certainly less expensive. If we decide to make the effort to figure out the "mystery" with our current pump and can resolve it we have no problem with continuing to use it. Its noise is not an issue for us. But if we decide to resolve the pump's quirk by getting rid of the pump we'll replace it with the demand regulated type based on what we've observed.

Last edited:
Depends on how your system is set up and where the accumulator is. I've seen systems where the accumulator wouldn't do anything to keep the pump from running..............

It has to be installed correctly (as in the instructions). That would be water tank(s), filter, pump, accumulator tank, then cold water outlets and water heater inlet.

The tank has a bladder with pressurized air on one side and the potable water on the other side. The pump puts water into the tank, compressing the air until the pump reaches it's cutoff pressure. When you draw water, it comes from the tank until the pressure drops to the point where the pump kicks in. Shut the water off and the pump runs untill the pressure is built back up.

If the pump runs every time you draw water, even a pint or two, either it was installed wrong (and it never worked), it has lost its air charge (12 PSI for my boat tank), or the bladder is punctured.

I had this type of system in my home for over twenty years.

If the pump makes more noise than you would like, it needs to be isolated from the boat structure somehow. Rubber bushings are one way. It makes almost no noise until you attach it to a sounding board.

BTW: My new pump (Jabsco) was about the same price of the pump it replaced (FloJet) but of course I had to spend $70 or so on the tank and another $20 or so on fittings to rearrange the plumbing.

Last edited:
It has to be installed correctly (as in the instructions). That would be water tank(s), filter, pump, accumulator tank, then cold water outlets and water heater inlet.

The tank has a bladder with pressurized air on one side and the potable water on the other side. The pump puts water into the tank, compressing the air until the pump reaches it's cutoff pressure. When you draw water, it comes from the tank until the pressure drops to the point where the pump kicks in. Shut the water off and the pump runs untill the pressure is built back up.

If the pump runs every time you draw water, even a pint or two, either it was installed wrong (and it never worked), it has lost its air charge (12 PSI for my boat tank), or the bladder is punctured.

I had this type of system in my home for over twenty years.

I know it's hard to believe but not every situation is convenient enough to follow some generic manufacturer's drawing board installation instructions.:rolleyes:

Sure it can be done...but many times it's just not practical....at least in my real world of working as a marine tech on boats.:socool:

I know it's hard to believe but not every situation is convenient enough to follow some generic manufacturer's drawing board installation instructions.:rolleyes:

Sure it can be done...but many times it's just not practical....at least in my real world of working as a marine tech on boats.:socool:

You make no sense.

If you're going to buy a product and not install it correctly and then complain that it doesn't work as expected, you might as well save yourself the trouble and money and not install it in the first place. Even in the "real world". :banghead:

You make no sense.

If you're going to buy a product and not install it correctly and then complain that it doesn't work as expected, you might as well save yourself the trouble and money and not install it in the first place. Even in the "real world". :banghead:

Try reading more than just one post at a time.

Read my post 7.

Then see who makes sense.

Depending on where the accumulator is place (because of boat design limitations)...sometimes a water feed line or two that is close to the accumulator/pump will still reduce the pressure enough to kick the pump on. Not supposed to...but sometimes they do.

As I said...it's the system I may go with and by the way... no one was complaining....just stating reality as opposed to the instruction manual version showing the newer pumps may have advantages too...:rolleyes:

For a guy who doesn't like other people argueing...:rofl:

I have a Jabsco accumulator very similar to the one in Rwidman's picture and I agree that it is a much sounder engineering approach than "the pumps that don't need one". They must be pressurised when installed using the Schrader-type valve on the top and a hand pump or small compressor. I find pressurising to be a bit of a PITA as the reservoir is so small that it is easy to loose part of the charge when removing the hose afterwards. A small domestic accumulator mounted remotely would solve my problem and is on my to-do list. Does anyone have experience with the larger Jabsco accumulator tanks? Are they anythng special, or just domestic accumulators with Jabsco labels?

We have a large accumulator tank, and love the way it operates. When I get back to the boat, I can follow up with manufacturer info and size data.

You can always find room for a domestic bladder type pressure tank. Save money, reduce pump starts and minimize the rate of pressure swings. The larger the tank, the better the system performs.

Size matters when it comes to accumulator tanks and plumbing in general. Bigger often is better to a point. 2 to 5 gallons(tank volume, not fluid capacity) should be more than adequate for a majority of boats on this forum. Larger boats or if you live aboard may appreciate more but not much larger IMO.

Your normal usage plays a role in sizing too. Low usage folks will feel the smaller size(1 - 2 quart) is just fine. Those who use more will be happier with a larger tank size. There is no real one size fits all in this area IMO. YMMV

Bigger the better. There is a reason they build these things ....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 125
Didn't see your post above mine until just now. I agree with you Rick, note the second sentence in my above post. I'd opt for a 50 gallon if I had the room but some of these lazarettes and engine rooms get kinda crowded.

You can always place multiple smaller tanks in different locations. A tank at each end of the "water main" will reduce line losses as well as increase surge capacity.

The primary reason for a tank is soften the water pressure, In dirt houses the tubinh is runner higher creating a air cushion so when the water is turned off the is no sudden pressure banging of the pipes. So it protects the boats water system.

If will also reduce the number of times the pump comes on.

depends on the type of pump you use. mpst are vane pumps, so a small acumulator tank is what you need.
As for pressure, I recently had a problem with one, so got into this conversation with a plumbing supply shop, who advised "17 psi" is what should be on the pressure side of the accumulator. It has a schraeder style bicycle tube valve, so put your pressure guage on it, and charge if it is low. The only presumption here is that your system is to run between 40psi and 60 psi at the pump, where there will be limit switches.

Bigger the better. There is a reason they build these things ....

Not the same principle as an accumulator tank. The accumulator is designed to take the shock or hammer out of lines and to a certain extent smooth out the flow. The big utility water tanks are designed to add to supply when the pumps can't keep up. The water released is gravity flow, so smoother than pumps cutting on and off. They are vented so that the water when released will not "gurgle" as it is released. and when the tank is filled that air will not be trapped reducing capacity. You can indeed put minnie accumulators at each fixture by simply installing a riser above the "T" that feeds the fixture. This traps air and provides the cushion. You can drain a water logged riser by simply draining the system to trap air in the riser again.

Last edited:
Only the style of tank with an internal diaphram is worth installing.

The RV and cheapo units have an air chamber (if installed properly) that is in contact with the FW.

Eventually the water carries off the air and the "accumulator " does nothing.

This can be noticed by the no time at all between the faucet opening and pump operation.Drain the unit and reconnect to get air in, for a while.

The tank I installed is intended to supply a relatively steady water pressure and reduce the number of times the pump runs. Without the tank, the pump must run whenever water is drawn from the system, no matter how low the flow. It's the same system used in homes and small commercial buildings serviced by a private well, but on a smaller scale.

It is not intended to reduce or eliminate "water hammer" from shutting off faucets. It is possible, as Moonstruck states to do this with a riser on each line at each outlet although I doubt anyone would have this problem on a small boat with low water pressure.

In theory, bigger is better as someone mentioned, but any boat is a compromise. The one I installed has a capacity of just over a quart and does what I need it to on my boat, keeps the pump from running or chattering if I run a half cup of water to wash my hands or brush my teeth. Taking a shower or washing dishes, the pump will run continuously and that's fine.

The tank's air pressure is factory set at 10 PSI and that's fine for most marine applications. It should never need to be refilled with air or adjusted differently on most boat systems.

This is the one I used:

http://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-30573-0000-Pressurized-Accumulator-Bladder/dp/B000O8D5XM

Here are the installation instructions including an explanation of how it works:

http://www.velasalan.is/modules/lists/list_system_121/list_data_58041/list_item_file_58041_880_1.pdf

Last edited:
It is not intended to reduce or eliminate "water hammer" from shutting off faucets. It is possible, as Moonstruck states to do this with a riser on each line at each outlet although I doubt anyone would have this problem on a small boat with low water pressure.

It most certainly will absorb shock out of lines. This is most noticeable on larger boats that may have appliances with solenoid shut offs such as washing machines. Anything that reduces shock and stress can prolong the life of lines (especially PVC) and "O" rings.

You will probably want to check if it is holding pressure.... When I put in a new pump a while ago...I went to check the pressure and I found that the air bladder in the accumulator tank have popped...whole thing was full of water and not functional.

I ended up using a VSD pump....works quite well and has no need for an accumulator tank.

Our system uses a Shureflow three-chamber diaphragm pump with a small Shureflow accumulator tank next to it. The accumulator tank is less than a foot long. According to the manual for the tank which came with the boat, the tank has only one purpose and that is to eliminate hammering and pulsing in the lines when the pump comes on. When we open a tap the water flows immediately and a few seconds after it starts the pump comes on. Once it comes on it stays on until we shut the tap, after which the pump runs for a couple more seconds and stops. But there is no pulsing or hammering in the system.

If we can sort out our mystery problem with the pump we'll retain this system. If not and we decide to replace the pump we will install a variable speed pump as JAT has done and eliminate the need for the accumulator tank.

I hate to burst anyone's bubble but the sketch showing a city water tower has absolutely nothing to do with a pressurized boat water system. The water tower uses gravity to provide pressure and there is no pressurized accumulator tank in that system. Apples and Oranges.

The water tower uses gravity to provide pressure and there is no pressurized accumulator tank in that system.

The water tower uses gravity to provide a static pressure head on the water main.

A "volume tank" uses compressed air to provide exactly the same thing that gravity and tank volume does in the city water tank and that is to provide surge capacity and reduce pressure variations resulting from pump operation.

Nice try though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom