Old 12-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I am happy with my Torrid unit. I asked about converting it from 110 VAC to 240 VAC and they were very helpful. I bought an inexpensive kit from them to do it which came complete with a whole bunch of stickers to apply in relevant places.

My recent addition has been a 'summer loop' on the Webasto hydronic heating circuit which allows heating the HW. So I now have 3 HW options: AC, Engine circuit, and Webasto circuit. I will always be able to get hot water....
Old 12-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Like Peter and Bruce I do envy the sheer choice of product you guys have, not to mention price.Our marine market is about one tenth of yours, so our choices are limited and costs are higher.

Phil Frill's Kuuma is available here locally, so I will probably go with that, price seems pretty reasonable.
Just curious, is it impractical or too costly to have marine equipment shipped over from the US or elsewhere? Of course the risk in that is that you can't actually see the product before you get it.

I'm not at all familiar with the Kuuma brand but the fact you can go and look at one and talk to a dealer about it plus Phil's and Flywright's long-term, positive experience with them would seem to put it at the top of your list down there.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:02 AM   #23
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Yep, picked it up 30 minutes ago. Kuuma 6 gallon @ $549, FWIW the 11 gallon cost $665.

It seems that we pay about $150 more for the same unit that can be had in the US, despite the heater being made in Thailand.

I looked at the Torrid, that was about double the price of the Kuuma.
Attached Thumbnails
water heater 2 002.jpg  
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -
Is that your dollars or our dollars?
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Here's a Kuuma 11 gallon heater here in the USA. I bought mine over 4 years ago, but here it's still $279 US. Mine was bought at West Marine, not our least expensive marine parts source. Quite the price difference.

Do you have additional taxes or tariffs we don't (yet) pay? Your dollar is stronger than ours at $1.05, right? What's the difference?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:27 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Gee Peter your original heater looked a nasty brute. My late lamented toe warmer looks quite genteel by comparison.
Andy, the amazing thing about that cruddy rusted looking thing which, is hardly recognisable as a water cylinder/heat exchanger, is that even bad as it was it still worked, and did not leak, until crud build-up in the engine circuit made it so slow to heat it was ridiculous. The rust was all in the outer casing, the actual heat cylinder and fittings all copper.
Then I saw the Isotemp/Isotherm unit for sale in the paper one saturday, and for a really good price, so grabbed it, and the rest is history.
The funny thing is, when we first bought the boat, and I saw that cylinder it looked much the same - maybe a little less rust underneath, and I said to the vendor.."Ok, I can see that will be one of the first things to replace." He said, "well I know what you mean, but it is still giving us decent showers each weekend". And it did, and that fact prolonged its life a further 8 yrs. One reason being there was soooo much else needing doing of course. So the old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it", got us 8 more years out of it, but the new one is heaps better, largely because of faster heating, the ability to give it a preheat off 240v at the dock before leaving, and bigger volume.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:38 AM   #27
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
when we first bought the boat.... I said to the vendor.."Ok, I can see that will be one of the first things to replace." He said, "well I know what you mean, but it is still giving us decent showers each weekend". And it did, and that fact prolonged its life a further 8 yrs. One reason being there was soooo much else needing doing of course. So the old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it", got us 8 more years out of it,
Exactly Peter. As I said somewhere recently, something may look due for replacement or renewal but the person taking responsibility for the boat knows best, and can tell if something is really "spent", or not.
Many happy hot showers Andy.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #28
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
............. My unit came with a temperature restricting valve to keep the water from reaching scalding temps from the engine coolant. I removed this valve and find we can enjoy hot water on day two of an anchor out. Of course, caveat emptor - the temps are very hot and can be painful if care is not taken. We always caution our guests about the hot water..............
Mine is like that also.

Some marine water heaters have this built in and you can add one to your system - a "tempering valve". This tempering valve allows the water heater to make very hot water but mixes this very hot water with some cold water as it leaves the valve so the output is a safe 120 degrees or so. This provides the efficiency of the scalding setting of the heater with the safety of regulated output and increases the effective capacity of the tank.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #29
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
I went with one of these.
So far so good. 3 years now.

It is made by Volvo Penta called a QL water heater.
Can be mounted in any position.

sd
Attached Images