Old 10-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #41
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
N4712 & FF.
I can appreciate that you would go for a local manufacturer and quite rightly so to support your home industry's, but sometimes other people have good idea's that can be manufactured locally, I was only illustrating the type we found to be most effective for us.

Our other boat had a small calorifier that wouldn't keep it's heat overnight and despite heavily lagging the tank we still had problems, doing daily checks we found the engine to be still warm every morning and concluded that we had thermal convection, we raised the tank and that solved the problem only for the damn thing to get a leak shortly after so we bought the one you see in N4712's previous post and it was a great success. We've just ordered one for our 'other' boat.

Please bear in mind that we don't depend so heavily on electric as some of you guys in the US of A, our electric supply is 220 volt or onboard 12 volt.
It's bloody cold enough here, we don't need icemakers or large fridges, anyway you only drink Irish whisky neat, or with Irish spring water. Anything else is criminal !

Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:45 PM   #42
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rambler View Post
N4712 & FF.
I can appreciate that you would go for a local manufacturer and quite rightly so to support your home industry's, but sometimes other people have good idea's that can be manufactured locally, I was only illustrating the type we found to be most effective for us.

Our other boat had a small calorifier that wouldn't keep it's heat overnight and despite heavily lagging the tank we still had problems, doing daily checks we found the engine to be still warm every morning and concluded that we had thermal convection, we raised the tank and that solved the problem only for the damn thing to get a leak shortly after so we bought the one you see in N4712's previous post and it was a great success. We've just ordered one for our 'other' boat.

Please bear in mind that we don't depend so heavily on electric as some of you guys in the US of A, our electric supply is 220 volt or onboard 12 volt.
It's bloody cold enough here, we don't need icemakers or large fridges, anyway you only drink Irish whisky neat, or with Irish spring water. Anything else is criminal !

Irish,

Ours is about level with the valves on the engine that the water heater Is connected to. Like you said, we are a power hungry boat and electrical efficiency is not are utmost concern. But it's nice to know its plumbed correctly.

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:51 PM   #43
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfstar 36 View Post
The guy from Torrid was worried that it I try to change the anode after all these years it just might kill it.
He does have a point. They are good water heaters!
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:32 AM   #44
FF
Guru

>It's bloody cold enough here<

Just put the kettle on your oil fired range , and go with sponge baths.

Saves water , electric , and you get co generation bragging rights!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:09 PM   #45

City: Hong Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
They are nice looking units indeed. 30 Litre Boat Water Heater
Attachment 33723
They are available in the States through: MarineTec Marine Heating Solutions

The owner, Lars Nilsson offers super customer service.
Searios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:33 AM   #46
Veteran Member

City: San Diego
Isotherm SPA 40

Two days ago I finished the install of a new Isotherm SPA 40 11-gallon heater to replace an almost identical Isotherm 11-gallon heater that lasted over 14-years. Four of those years we were full time cruisers in the tropics and for the last four years we have been full time liveaboard in a marina.

The Isotherm can be heated by:
- 750 watt AC 120V
- coolant flow from the propulsion diesel
- coolant flow that has been heated by the ARDIC 16K BTU hydronic system that has it's own circulation pump

I did not see anyone mention the heat holdover characteristics of the various heaters. When we run the diesel for 30-minutes as we approach an anchorage and then anchor - the hot water is way too hot to use straight for a shower. Twentyfour hours later, with no additional heat input, the hot water from the Isotherm is still plenty warm for a good shower.

The ARDIC heater can warm the 11-gallons of water in the heater from 75 degrees F to 130 F in about 20 minutes.

The Isotherm also has a mixing/temperature control valve as shown earlier in this thread.

Great quality and great performance.
Tacomasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:35 AM   #47

City: Warwick, RI
Vessel Name: Susan Helena
Vessel Model: Albin40
How did the old one die? Did it leak?
mike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:30 PM   #48

City: Palm Springs CA
Vessel Name: On The Rocks
Vessel Model: Gulf Star MKII
Anyone have experience with the copper lined Solaris heaters made in USA?
On The Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #49
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by On The Rocks View Post
Anyone have experience with the copper lined Solaris heaters made in USA?
Yes. My experience may be an anomaly, but after 6 years mine started leaking at one of the seams of the copper vessel. Completely unrepairable. This unit had never been subjected to high pressure and the dealer had no explanation why it would start to leak. It failed in August and I received notification from the dealer that their shipment had finally arrived last week. I had long since replaced it with the Isotherm 11 gallon unit which was a close profile fit to the Solaris. Based on my experience, I'd pass. Plus, they are twice as much money as what seem like better alternatives.