Water Heater exchanger on 3208 Cat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Jon

Guru
Vessel Name
Waypoint
Vessel Make
Californian 48' CPMY
Wondering if anyone here has ever tapped into a Caterpillar 3208TA cooling system to supply heated coolant to a water heater exchanger. If so, where did you tap into for the engine for outlet and return?

Thanks
Jon

Hi I have that setup on my gb46. I need a better pic than this to catch the heater hoses. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412392095.788525.jpg. Will try and get one for you next time at boat

Dan

Thanks Dan! Any close ups and any advice on fittings, hoses, etc would be welcome!

Jon

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412523213.001587.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412523239.013690.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412523251.826887.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412523265.217009.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412523278.511158.jpg

One line comes from aft stbd side of port engine. Other looks like off water pump behind the alternator. My PO installed with isolation valves. Good idea. Hoses look small and heavy duty and have that chafe wrap. Now I know how it is all plumbed. :)

Dan, awesome pictures! This showed me instantly what I needed to do! Went right to the spots and the previous owner had plugged the fittings coming from the same spots. Looks like he used 1/2 pipe fittings. Now all I have to do is get some brass isolation valves. Like the way your PO added the extra valve for block draining. Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out! :thumb::D

Jon

Which hose goes to water heater inlet valve?

Hi,

In hooking up our new Raritan heater, the water heater clearly wants valve A to be in inflow FROM the engine,and valve B to be the outflow TO the engine from the water heater. We can't figure out how to determine which hose is going to flow INTO the water heater. How would I figure that out?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom