Old 09-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Water heater anode

I replaced the water heater anode on my Raritan unit this morning. After 4 years it was corroded, but could go another year or two. I'm changing it to 5 years before the next change. The picture below is the last time I changed it...they look about the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	misc boat 023.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	2655   Click image for larger version

Name:	misc boat 024.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	2656  

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
Guru

RE: Water heater anode

I changed one after about 8 or 9 years and it was pretty much non-existant at that point. So your 5 year plan makes sense to me.

jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I changed mine for the first time after 4 years, and it looked similar to yours.* I suspect the rate of disintegration is proportional to the ionic content of the water as well as the amount of time the WH runs.* I only run the WH when I'm at the boat, so I'm sure that helps .

In their infinite wisdom, the builders of my IG decided to install the WH so that the fitting that holds the anode faces the aft engine room bulkhead.* To*remove it, I need to completely disconnect*the supply and return plumbing and spin the WH.**Do ya think that one could be avoided?* Maybe one day I'll replumb it...
jethrobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:14 AM   #4
Guru

"To*remove it, I need to completely disconnect*the supply and return plumbing and spin the WH"

That was the problem in my case as well. I had the WH out to do some work behind it. Otherwise I probably would not have replaced it..might not have known it was there.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:52 AM   #5
FF
Guru

The normal "rule" is to install the anode with out tefflon.

This is claimed to make a better ground.Perhaps ,

but the really hard water in many locations can make the anode impossible to remove with out damaging the HW heater.

We have use a single layer of teflon on the threads and never had a destroyed fitting on servicing.

The threads seem to get thru the teflon enough to make the contact required , yet leave enough on the rest of the threads so everything is not glued forever.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:32 AM   #6
Guru

I have tested conductivity on zincs threaded in bare, with 3 wraps of Teflon tape, and Permatex sealant. When tightened down properly, they all are perfectly conductive.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #7
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

The Atwood EHM units do not have an Anode according to*the*instructions that came with the boat..* They suggest just a Vinegar flush in the tank will cure the problem.

Maybe their way of selling more heaters.* We will see.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:27 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

....or don't run raw water thru it at all????....that is some people's solution.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:10 PM   #9
Guru

That's not the problem. I bet you didn't realize your home water heater has the same sacrificial anode in it, did you? Most do, but just like boaters, most people don't realize they're there. The heater fails and people buy new ones. Never realized there was an anode in there that could have made it last much longer. The anode is magnesium for fresh water use.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:41 AM   #10
FF
Guru

The heater fails and people buy new ones. Never realized there was an anode in there that could have made it last much longer.

Most home units have a 7 to 10 year life.

Replacing the anode might help, but cheap crap is , well cheap crap.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I find it amazing some home water heater companies sell "5-year" and "10-year" units. In general, they're the same unit, except the 10-year includes a longer warranty.
jethrobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #12
Guru

City: AR

Replacing the anode wouldn't have saved any household water heater I've ever owned...it's been a failed thermostat on every one of 'em.* The price of a service call to replace the thermostat is about 70-80% of the price of a new water heater installed.* Average lifespan has been about 10 years.

So why do glass lined marine water heaters last so much longer? 25 years isn't unusual for a Raritan if the anode is checked annually and replaced* when less than 50% of the metal remains.* According to Vic Willman at Raritan, it's because your water heater at home is on 24/7/365...whereas on a boat, in most cases they're used intermittently and for shorter periods.
HeadMistress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #13
Guru

Also many of us (the northern guys) drain our heaters for winterization so the crap doesn't accumulate and rot them out.
I went to cheapo depot looking for an anode and they said they never heard of such a thing. I never did find one there.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:32 AM   #14
FF
Guru

I went to cheapo depot looking for an anode and they said they never heard of such a thing. I never did find one there.

Your local plumbing supply will be the easiest source.