Water Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rochepoint

Guru
Vessel Name
Roche Point
Vessel Make
1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
We have a 20+ year water heater made by Atwood that is slowly seeping antifreeze from the engine loop.....time for a new one. Just wondering as to your thoughts as to which brand to use as a replacement?
Thanks in advance!:confused:

In a previous discussion, the SPA 30 seems to be very well liked. I'm replacing my very old water heater this spring with one.

Ken

We have a 20+ year water heater made by Atwood that is slowly seeping antifreeze from the engine loop.....time for a new one. Just wondering as to your thoughts as to which brand to use as a replacement?
Thanks in advance!:confused:

the instsnt ones are coming down in price, if your electric can handel it that to me would be the way to go?????

Had a 20 gallon Raritan unit that was 13 years old in the trawler. Was happy with it, but felt that at some point during my ownership I would have to replace it. Felt that it made sense to replace it while the engine and genset were out because of it's remote location. After looking at all the choices, decided to go back with the same as it had worked flawlessly for 13 years.

In your case, it's hard to argue with 20 years of success out of a water heater.

Ted

I have a 30 year old Torrid, that as of last fall was still working fine!

the instsnt ones are coming down in price, if your electric can handel it that to me would be the way to go?????

Realistically there is no way short of adding a dedicated shore cord that most boats could handle a whole house electric instant hot water heater.

Mike
I had an Atwood (6 gal? round) in a previous boat - had to repair/replace the exchange coil at almost 20 yrs - actually due to yard oversight winterizing and they did the replacement. Replacement was piece of cake - coil screwed into a large (3"?) pipe fitting - copper coil had separated from the bronze fitting due to freezing - yard had identical unit on the shelf that had been brazed - they swapped it out & repaired my unit to be put back on the shelf. Unit went another 8 yrs when I sold the boat it was still going strong.

Not sure if Atwoods are similar in design but worth a check to see if its repairable.

Last season I helped a dockmate install a new Isotherm HWH (round) and I was impressed with the quality.

I have a 30 year old Torrid, that as of last fall was still working fine!

Mine is original and I know I am just buying time 27 years old

I will be going with a Isotherm not sure what unit yet but I will need to figure that out very soon

Replaced an aluminum failed Seaward with a glass lined Torrid. Can't always count on a tank brand from 20 years ago being the same build specs as today so no matter what brand check to see that tank is not Al.

I have a glass lined Torrid works great! Nice unit. Well made!

JohnP

Have had both, Raritan and Torrid. I can't say one was better than the other since they are both quality units IMHO. Just remember to change the anodes as per recommendations.

Mine is actually Torrid branded as a Balmar. I did have to replace a drippy T&P valve a few years ago.

Attwood 11 gal. 28 years old when it goes south my 1st impulse would be another Attwood. But I doubt any are of similar quality that they were 30 years ago.

Maybe we should run a poll on the age of everyone's water heater and the brand. Mines 28 this year. Still running strong. I'm trying to suppress the Scotsman in me and replace it before it fails.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler

Practical Sailor did a review on water heaters not long ago. I believe they liked a stainless lined model, despite a higher price. I don't recall their reasoning, but would take a look at their review were I shopping for one. Seems they specifically did not like glass lined ones in their review.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom