Old 05-23-2015, 08:34 AM   #21
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. frg. "...a little OCD about having a dry bilge..." I hear ya brother. I can FULLY appreciate your feelings. I used to be the same but I've learned to live with a slightly wet bilge that doesn't stink. Regular (every couple of months or so) cleaning helps minimize any odors with an occasional splash of bilge cleaner or pleasant smelling soap/detergent goes a long way in eliminating odors.
During my recent preparations for our long term in water storage I discovered our forward Y-valve or one of the attendant connecting hoses is seeping effluent-EWWWW! I just left it as it was too late to effect a proper repair and it will or should not be used in our absence. Yup, one MORE thing on the to-do list (pretty well near the top).
You seem to be right on top of "problems" that you are discovering and the only thing I can comment is...Keep at it. The list DOES eventually get shorter or so I keep telling myself.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:45 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
What I'm finding now a bit depressing RTF, is having owned the boat and been working on it solidly for most of the 13 years since purchase, I am starting to find things I had already done, repaired, or in some cases even installed new, need doing again already…Rather like the painting of the Golden Gate bridge…But never you mind about that Frg…not yet anyway, you haven't even painted the bridge once over yet - enjoy…

Old 05-23-2015, 08:58 AM   #23

City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
I had the same problem. That small piece of hose that connects to the pump has a check valve in it. On mine it was bad. Removed it and all worked well.

This was the issue! Thank you for bringing this to my attn. I would have missed it for sureClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432385868.022630.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	40410Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432385882.007330.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	40411
frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:11 AM   #24
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. frg. Atta boy! See, there are NO problems only solutions. I think I should mention, thanks so much for posting all your "problems" AND the solutions to same. Your contributions are what makes TF such a valuable resource for not only newbies but for the more "seasoned" of us.
Mr. PB. I feel your pain. During the recent re-paint, I put a noticeable scratch in a freshly refurbished panel. My immediate response was a fleeting sense of despondency followed by "Ah well, at least THAT panel is painted." A rationalization to be sure BUT..."At least that panel is painted".

...or the deity of one's choice.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:19 AM   #25
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgeorgeh View Post
This was the issue! Thank you for bringing this to my attn. I would have missed it for sure
I had to remove that check valve within hours of using the newly installed box.

I contacted Rile and the offered to send me a replacement which I am sure would have been exactly the same.

So I took it out, and now the sump cycles maybe 5-8 times after the shower ends due to the drain back...but does eventually stop.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:23 AM   #26
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. ps. "...Rile..." A Freudian slip, of course...Good one.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:39 AM   #27

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgeorgeh View Post
As for the wiring. That is how I found it. Cleaning it all up as I go to include dielectric grease and proper terminals and butt connectors. The terminal block is high enough out of the way that I will skip a cover for it. Actually surprised there was even a block there!
FRG, I too am OCD about a dry bilge! Any stray water we suck out with a shop vac. Keeps the boat smell down to none existent status. The dielectric grease is the way to go. Sounds like you have it under control and are doing a fine job!!
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:06 PM   #28

City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Jon View Post
FRG, I too am OCD about a dry bilge! Any stray water we suck out with a shop vac. Keeps the boat smell down to none existent status. The dielectric grease is the way to go. Sounds like you have it under control and are doing a fine job!!

Thanks Capt. John!
frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:25 PM   #29
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Glad that it was the problem. I really chased mine as well so I am glad that I could help.
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. ps. "...Rile..." A Freudian slip, of course...Good one.
I always took you as a much brighter individual than one that reads my posts....
Old 05-23-2015, 06:02 PM   #31
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. ps. Oooohhhhh....nasty...
Old 05-24-2015, 06:26 AM   #32
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
What I'm finding now a bit depressing RTF, is having owned the boat and been working on it solidly for most of the 13 years since purchase, I am starting to find things I had already done, repaired, or in some cases even installed new, need doing again already…Rather like the painting of the Golden Gate bridge…But never you mind about that Frg…not yet anyway, you haven't even painted the bridge once over yet - enjoy…
Had a house like that once and know the feeling Peter. In trying to turn lemons into lemonade, I told myself that THIS time the work should go faster without the learning curve. (But often it didn't.).
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:41 AM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
We are having drain issues with our shower also . The drain is not in the lowest part of the floor . I was thinking about cutting a bigger square hole in the center of the floor and mounting the box to the bottom of the the shower floor and then building a grate over the hole and eliminating the drain hose to the box .
Has anyone ever done this ?
Old 05-24-2015, 08:08 AM   #34
FF
Guru

"What I'm finding now a bit depressing RTF, is having owned the boat and been working on it solidly for most of the 13 years since purchase, I am starting to find things I had already done, repaired, or in some cases even installed new, need doing again"

Sometimes looking at what commercial boats do/use/operate is the simple solution.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:12 AM   #35
Guru

City: gulf coast
Bilge discharge Uesshyuk.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:21 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"What I'm finding now a bit depressing RTF, is having owned the boat and been working on it solidly for most of the 13 years since purchase, I am starting to find things I had already done, repaired, or in some cases even installed new, need doing again"

Sometimes looking at what commercial boats do/use/operate is the simple solution.
So you are telling everyone about my boat...the 90 percent, 10 foot rule.

only has to be done to 90 percent perfection and only has to look perfect from 10 feet.

having been working on commercial boats for 15 years....they are as bulletproof as most yachts (not very) and many look great (from at least 10 feet or more)....

Good enough for me who lives to boat but is exhausted working on them.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:47 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Ah…are you saying there Bruce, that the period you allowed the shower water to run into the bilge, while you sorted out the sump, helped clean out old diesel spill fouling..? If so, why would you not have been happy to continue that process...
Shower, galley sink, bathroom sink, drain to the one box, which gets "plated' with a blackish grime on the pump and box (wood lined with f/g). I don`t want the bilge like that, plus it`s murky again from the flushing solution and follow up flushes for the port FWC system. As I have the collection system, and prefer the bilge clean, I would not intentionally perpetuate it.Think of it as every now and then adding bilge cleaner.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:32 PM   #38
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Shower, galley sink, bathroom sink, drain to the one box, which gets "plated' with a blackish grime on the pump and box (wood lined with f/g). I don`t want the bilge like that, plus it`s murky again from the flushing solution and follow up flushes for the port FWC system. As I have the collection system, and prefer the bilge clean, I would not intentionally perpetuate it.Think of it as every now and then adding bilge cleaner.
Ah…now I see, (as the blind man said)…you have all that coming together - we just have the shower and nil else, except what comes in via the (non-dripless, but almost), stuffing box to contend with. I totally accept you would not want shower, galley, (especially galley, with grease, food residue, coffee grounds, even tealeaves, etc), and bathroom sink all in there as well. Gotcha Bruce. Gotta get a Gulper pump for that sump though, when the current one dies, for sure...
Old 05-25-2015, 03:43 AM   #39
Guru

Peter, we remove grease best we can off plates etc, tea/coffee grounds, etc, but nothing is perfect. I was surprised finding no debris in the box, it is a vigorous US made pump, can`t recall brand but searches say it`s now absorbed into Johnson.
A capsule espresso machine onboard instead of grinding coffee,maybe...thinking..
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:50 AM   #40
Guru

City: gulf coast
IMO galley sink should go direct overboard. Too much grease and bio stuff to pass through a sump box.

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote