Washer Dryer question..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JAT

Guru
Vessel Name
Just a Tinch
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 44 MC
Our boat came with a stacking washer dryer unit....the dryer has parts that need replacing that are no longer manufactured, and the washer is on its last legs.* Its pretty much a given that 110V dryers are not the most efficient...so here is my question:

Does anyone have any experience in putting a propane fed dryer on a boat?* And if so, what kind of gas consumption ddid your or do experience?

Thanks!

I wouldn't do it.

Propane consumption is high , and humping bottles down the dock stinks compared to just plugging in at the power pole.

An 80G RV tank would be fine , IF there were a propane fill at some socks.

A propane device should be in a well , that can drain overboard easily, sorta hard in a built boat.

The 120V dryers are a waste of time , but at the pole a 240 would be fine , time is on your side.

Rob
That's worth considering. As FF points out it may require a bit of tank toting. But if one were available I bet it would be a great dryer!

-- Edited by Forkliftt on Sunday 19th of June 2011 08:02:55 AM

The other problem with propane is that it puts out a lot of moisture when it burns, which makes propane dryers particularly inefficient and energy hogs. *A condensing dryer is about the only kind to have on a boat, IMHO.

Delfin wrote:A condensing dryer is about the only kind to have on a boat, IMHO.
*Condensing dryer??? Do tell..............Arctic Traveller

Instead of venting the hot exhaust air outside, it passes the air through a condenser which condenses the moisture so it runs out through a thru-hull. You can buy them in vented versions as well. Both work about the same.

Keith explained it well. *Bosch makes one and it works well without having to have a vent to the outside. *One less place for water to come in.

IF there is no exhaust for the combustion products remember a gal of Propane burning creates about 1.2 gal of water in its exhaust.

Venting the combustion gasses inside the vessel might produce poisoning.

Thanks everyone for your answers!! Looks like I'm going to stick with a 110VAC washer and dryer.

110 volt AC is just one leg, and 240 is two legs.* If you have 240 on the dock andor the boat you could run a separate*leg just for the dryer.* You may find out that you*will not use the wash dry*very much, as is easier/cheaper and lot quicker to take to a dirt/marina laundry and use mutiple machines and 240 volts.* Most Saturday morning while my wife sleep in I do the laundery, take a shower,*grocery shopping and running around.* By the time she gets up, I am ready to take her out for bruch.** My wife has a tough live, but she puts up with me.* We use our for her*RN uniform during the week, or taking wrinkle out.* *

We replaced our stacked washer/dryer with a Spendide*110 VAC combo unit.* The washer works great with the just the two us, about 3 loads a week.* The dryer works OK but takes twice as long as a 220 VAC home unit.**We spend our time at anchor in the tropics so we don't miss the dryer.

http://www.splendide.com/

Larry,

What model Slendide did you install? I have a dead stacker that needs replacing.

The Splendide 2100 XC

Attachments

• renovations 065.jpg
    renovations 065.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 123
the condensation dryers actually uses water!!! So - if you have limited water capacity then it might be better to use the vented dryers.

We replaced our stacked washer/dryer with a Spendide*110 VAC combo unit.* The washer works great with the just the two us, about 3 loads a week.* The dryer works OK but takes twice as long as a 220 VAC home unit.**We spend our time at anchor in the tropics so we don't miss the dryer.

The Official Site of Splendide Laundry Centers

I have one of the Splendies in my boat as well.

They work just fine, but don't dry as quickly or as thoroughly as our home dryer.

What I do is dry the clothes, then lay them out for an hour or so to get the last of the moisture out.

We replaced a Splendide ventless with its vented counterpart a week after we bought out boat. The ventless unit worked, but clothes would come out damp. The vented unit dries clothes completely.

One more step to being fully self contained.....

There is some misinformation in this thread about propane driers. Propane driers are quite efficient, use very little gas, and dry clothes quite quickly. First, understand clothes dry through evaporation where moisture in the fabric is transferred to the air (that's what happens when you hang them on a clothes line). The hotter the clothes are, the faster the moisture evaporates and transfers into the air (clothes hanging outside dry faster on a sunny day). In a clothes drier, the heat goes on and off intermittently to raise the temperature of the clothing for evaporation. Then it runs for a while without heat as the air flow carries the evaporating water away. Propane is much more efficient in this regard as it is a much hotter heat source than electric coils. A typical propane drier has a 17,000 to 22,000 BTU burner. There are 21,591 BTUs in a pound of propane. Typically on my propane drier at home, the burner seems to run on average less than 25% of the time (significantly more in the beginning). Consider this, If you think they aren't efficient, go look at most laundromats. It's rare to find electric heat source driers in laundromats. They want clothes to dry quickly with the lowest possible energy cost.

As to whether they make sense on a boat is another issue. I have a friend who lives in FL with his wife in a travel trailer. Their drier is in a shed hooked to a 20 lb. propane tank. Will ask him when I see them in a few days, how many loads they get to a tank of gas.

Ted

Most laundromats in this area are CNG vice propane. That being said, it would seem like a PITA to cart around excess propane for the dryer when an electrical solution is already onboard.

This thread seem to get revived, and I never told anyone what I did to solve the problems with a dryer.....

I installed a new Whirlpool High Efficiency Washer and a Whirlpool dryer to go along with it. They are stacked in the same spot, actually take up less room... than the original stacked unit.

I purchased: 1 WFC7500VW Washer with glass door.
1 LDR3822PQ Dryer, white.

I dickered with the fellow at the RV dealer...and got him to give me a better price, so we got them. The units are both 110VAC, and thus far the dryer is working very well. It does dry the clothes very well... It probably doesn't hurt that the washer has a spin cycle that sounds like a turbine winding up......

The units are both 110VAC, and thus far the dryer is working very well. It does dry the clothes very well...

How long does the unit take to dry an 8lb load?

JAT - Two quick questions - !. does your wife like the washer? 2. Have you encountered any problems with the washer? The 7500 is available here in S. Puerto Rico via Sears and I have to make a decision soon. The other common compact units are not sold outside of the USA.

I can't believe you guys have driers and washing machines on a boat. Dont take that the wrong way as I'm not having a go at you guys, it's more amazement. The admiral and I got excited about planning to get an inverter so I can use my coffee machine when the boat is up to that stage lol.. I suppose if I chose to live on the boat it would be an idea to think about but down here 10mins in the sun and the towels and togs are dry as a bone.

For those that do live on board, what do you do with the steam and grease vapours etc when you cook? Do you have a range hood or do you cook outside?

Cheers
Matt

iPad Forum Runner

I can't believe you guys have driers and washing machines on a boat. Dont take that the wrong way as I'm not having a go at you guys, it's more amazement.
Cheers
Matt

iPad Forum Runner

Matt, you could put a washer and dryer in place of the hot tub/spa you have planned for the boat.:D

My boat came with a Splendid combination w/d. One of the first things I did was take it out, and put in needed drawer storage. It also had an extra Tundra freezer that I removed and made a locker. Storage to me was more important. Glad I did it. Of course, we are not livaboards.

Last edited:
I can't believe you guys have driers and washing machines on a boat. Dont take that the wrong way as I'm not having a go at you guys, it's more amazement. The admiral and I got excited about planning to get an inverter so I can use my coffee machine when the boat is up to that stage lol.. I suppose if I chose to live on the boat it would be an idea to think about but down here 10mins in the sun and the towels and togs are dry as a bone.

For those that do live on board, what do you do with the steam and grease vapours etc when you cook? Do you have a range hood or do you cook outside?

Cheers
Matt

iPad Forum Runner

The need for a washer/dryer or even a range hood really depends on how you intend to use the boat and the "ease" you expect.

Personally I think that the washer/dryer is a fantastic thing to have, even for boating just a few days at a time. If you leave clothes and towles on the boat, all you have to do is go to the boat to enjoy it. No hauling kit bags full of clothes back and forth, no packing for a boat trip...

If/when I get to cruise full time the washer will become much more of a necesity. Again, no need to take time out of your schedule and lug laundry around.

A Range hood is nice too. Boats tend to colect moisture, cooking generates it. A range hood is just as useful on a boat as it is at home.

We cruise/liveaboard full time. Washing machines ashore are sometimes wash tubs. On our last boat the admiral did laundry in a 5 gallon bucket. Getting the Splendide was the best boat unit I ever spent. :)

We also have a Splendide combo unit onboard, and deem it essential, as we are also liveaboards. Not having to drag laundry up the pier to the laundromat is a blessing- we simply do several smaller loads each week.

We have a washer and drier on the boat but very seldom have used it as the capacity for both are small. Much easier/less time to take a weeks laundry to the Laundromat fill several machines at a time and be done in 1 ½ hours, 30 minutes wash, 45 minutes dry, and 15 minutes commute. Besides they put to much moisture in the boat. Each Saturday morning I do the laundry, grocery shopping and misc errors, so by the time I get back to the boat she is up and ready for me to take her to brunch.:thumb::flowers:

We just installed stackable Splendide Washer and Dryer. For a 110 volt system they are pretty impressive. The washer spin the cloths almost dry, almost. They use so little power that we are able to run them both at the same time.

We purchased them from PPL Stackable Washer & Dryer by Splendide - good prices - PPL Motor Homes

The biggest thing to make them work right is the vent line. I up sized mine from a 3" plastic flex which is very restrictive especially where it makes a turn. I went with 4" rigid aluminum tubing from the back of the unit for about 3 feet then to smooth 4" 20 gauge pvc and kept the number of 90 degree turns to only 3.

I would most definitely purchase these again.

The units are both 110VAC, and thus far the dryer is working very well. It does dry the clothes very well...

How long does the unit take to dry an 8lb load?

I honestly don't know...I would have to ask the wife.... But I think in general it is very short. I know she is both happy and impressed with the units.... and she was used to having good home units. Says both the washer and dryer are better than using a laundromat.

I asked her, she says: It all depends on how heavy the clothes are...but normally a full load gets dry in 30 minutes or so.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom