Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #41
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,525
While on the hook I need to run the generator a """couple times a day """anyway to recharge the batteries.

Do you have only 1 series 24 ,battery as the house set??
__________________
Advertisement

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
City: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I didn't see that model # on a quick Google search, but I've found all of the units they sell at appliance and big-box stores are condensing units that vent inside the building (or in our case, boat.) Marine units are typically available with the option to vent outside. They dry much faster and use less electricity.
They are VERY difficult to find - but they are there - I just bought one...
Check Westinghouse customer service, they will send you a manual if you call them.
__________________

Searios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
magicbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
While on the hook I need to run the generator a """couple times a day """anyway to recharge the batteries.

Do you have only 1 series 24 ,battery as the house set??
I need to run mine to cool the freezer in the laz so we do laundry then - typically while underway. My engine also can't begin to recharge my house bank because it's too big.

Dave
__________________
Barnegat Light NJ or Nantucket MA
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #44
Grand Vizier
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
The condenser units do not "vent" at all...they condense the water vapor into liquid, which drains somewhere. I've had a vented and a condenser model, and performance-wise they were almost exactly the same.
I know what you mean Keith, but they do vent, but it's just pretty dry air and it goes inside the boat. One thing I've noticed about our condensing Bosch is that the cloths feel like they are not quite dry when they come out, but as soon as you fold them they are as dry as they would be if used in a conventional venting dryer where moist air is evacuated rather than condensed on a hot plate.

Someone mentioned that condensing dryers "use water", which I don't think is ever true. They produce water, and that has to drain to a sump or overboard.
__________________
Delfin
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." - Jack Handy
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #45
Guru
 
CaptTom's Avatar
 
City: Southern Maine
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
The condenser units do not "vent" at all...they condense the water vapor into liquid, which drains somewhere. I've had a vented and a condenser model, and performance-wise they were almost exactly the same.
Your personal experience trumps my reading reviews. I saw lots of negatives on the condenser units, mostly that they were slow to dry, so I'd sort of written them off. No I need to learn more.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #46
Guru
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,716
A ventless W/D is just that, ventless. Here's a manual you're welcome to look at: http://www.splendide.com/WDC7100XC_IOM.PDF

There is hot water in, cold water in, and wastewater out. On a boat, this goes overboard. No vent inside the boat.

If you've ever taken a chemistry class, you used a condenser to turn a vapor stream into a liquid stream. That's the way these work, and that condenser uses a stream of water to cool the water vapor coming off the clothes in the dry cycle into a liquid stream, which goes out the wastewater line, just like the wash and rinse water. Same way moonshiners get the alcohol boiling out of the pot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
I know what you mean Keith, but they do vent, but it's just pretty dry air and it goes inside the boat. One thing I've noticed about our condensing Bosch is that the cloths feel like they are not quite dry when they come out, but as soon as you fold them they are as dry as they would be if used in a conventional venting dryer where moist air is evacuated rather than condensed on a hot plate.

Someone mentioned that condensing dryers "use water", which I don't think is ever true. They produce water, and that has to drain to a sump or overboard.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #47
Grand Vizier
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
A ventless W/D is just that, ventless. Here's a manual you're welcome to look at: http://www.splendide.com/WDC7100XC_IOM.PDF

There is hot water in, cold water in, and wastewater out. On a boat, this goes overboard. No vent inside the boat.

If you've ever taken a chemistry class, you used a condenser to turn a vapor stream into a liquid stream. That's the way these work, and that condenser uses a stream of water to cool the water vapor coming off the clothes in the dry cycle into a liquid stream, which goes out the wastewater line, just like the wash and rinse water. Same way moonshiners get the alcohol boiling out of the pot.
Hmmm, yes I have taken a few chemistry classes, thank you.

The question was related to condensing dryers in a stacked unit, meaning one washer, one dryer. Stand alone units, like those the OP asked about, almost always have air cooled condensers which require no water and circulate cool air in and vent dry warm air out, so no, they don't just hold their breath while drying but vent into the room.

You have a combination unit that the OP wasn't asking about, which since it is already plumbed with water for the washer uses a water cooled condensing unit. As far as I recall, the differences between these types of dryers was not covered in any of my chemistry classes.

This is actually a pretty good explanation of the differences between the two types of units, and why the water cooled combination units are less efficient at drying than air cooled stand alone models.

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/equipment/appliance/10517
__________________
Delfin
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." - Jack Handy
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:22 AM   #48
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
While on the hook I need to run the generator a """couple times a day """anyway to recharge the batteries.

Do you have only 1 series 24 ,battery as the house set??

I have an 840 amp hour battery bank.

Between the lights, the fridges, the furnaces, electronics, etc... we run down that bank to 50% in about 10-12 hours.

Its amazing the power things take.

For example one Furuno display, along with the sounder draws about 9 amps all by itself.
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #49
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,525
Its amazing the power things take.

Boeing Surplus may have some batts that can accept a faster charge , soon.

CAVIT EMPTOR!
__________________

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dryer vent motion30 Other Trawler Systems 7 02-29-2012 05:21 AM
Removing stuck Injector washer ralphyost Power Systems 8 12-09-2010 12:53 PM
Bimini/canvas in the washer... Baker General Discussion 3 05-08-2010 08:08 PM
washer / dryer kevkat General Discussion 21 01-18-2010 10:53 AM
Washer Dryer Combo troy994719 Other Trawler Systems 9 08-03-2009 05:08 AM




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012