Old 12-27-2012, 06:19 AM   #21
FF
Guru

The units are both 110VAC, and thus far the dryer is working very well. It does dry the clothes very well...

How long does the unit take to dry an 8lb load?

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:20 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: La Parguera
Vessel Name: VIXEN II
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
JAT - Two quick questions - !. does your wife like the washer? 2. Have you encountered any problems with the washer? The 7500 is available here in S. Puerto Rico via Sears and I have to make a decision soon. The other common compact units are not sold outside of the USA.

VixenII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:59 AM   #23
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
I can't believe you guys have driers and washing machines on a boat. Dont take that the wrong way as I'm not having a go at you guys, it's more amazement. The admiral and I got excited about planning to get an inverter so I can use my coffee machine when the boat is up to that stage lol.. I suppose if I chose to live on the boat it would be an idea to think about but down here 10mins in the sun and the towels and togs are dry as a bone.

For those that do live on board, what do you do with the steam and grease vapours etc when you cook? Do you have a range hood or do you cook outside?

Cheers
Matt

iPad Forum Runner
Old 12-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #24
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
I can't believe you guys have driers and washing machines on a boat. Dont take that the wrong way as I'm not having a go at you guys, it's more amazement.
Cheers
Matt

iPad Forum Runner
Matt, you could put a washer and dryer in place of the hot tub/spa you have planned for the boat.

My boat came with a Splendid combination w/d. One of the first things I did was take it out, and put in needed drawer storage. It also had an extra Tundra freezer that I removed and made a locker. Storage to me was more important. Glad I did it. Of course, we are not livaboards.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
I can't believe you guys have driers and washing machines on a boat. Dont take that the wrong way as I'm not having a go at you guys, it's more amazement. The admiral and I got excited about planning to get an inverter so I can use my coffee machine when the boat is up to that stage lol.. I suppose if I chose to live on the boat it would be an idea to think about but down here 10mins in the sun and the towels and togs are dry as a bone.

For those that do live on board, what do you do with the steam and grease vapours etc when you cook? Do you have a range hood or do you cook outside?

Cheers
Matt

iPad Forum Runner
The need for a washer/dryer or even a range hood really depends on how you intend to use the boat and the "ease" you expect.

Personally I think that the washer/dryer is a fantastic thing to have, even for boating just a few days at a time. If you leave clothes and towles on the boat, all you have to do is go to the boat to enjoy it. No hauling kit bags full of clothes back and forth, no packing for a boat trip...

If/when I get to cruise full time the washer will become much more of a necesity. Again, no need to take time out of your schedule and lug laundry around.

A Range hood is nice too. Boats tend to colect moisture, cooking generates it. A range hood is just as useful on a boat as it is at home.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
We cruise/liveaboard full time. Washing machines ashore are sometimes wash tubs. On our last boat the admiral did laundry in a 5 gallon bucket. Getting the Splendide was the best boat unit I ever spent.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
We also have a Splendide combo unit onboard, and deem it essential, as we are also liveaboards. Not having to drag laundry up the pier to the laundromat is a blessing- we simply do several smaller loads each week.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #28
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
We have a washer and drier on the boat but very seldom have used it as the capacity for both are small. Much easier/less time to take a weeks laundry to the Laundromat fill several machines at a time and be done in 1 hours, 30 minutes wash, 45 minutes dry, and 15 minutes commute. Besides they put to much moisture in the boat. Each Saturday morning I do the laundry, grocery shopping and misc errors, so by the time I get back to the boat she is up and ready for me to take her to brunch.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #29

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Paloma
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
We just installed stackable Splendide Washer and Dryer. For a 110 volt system they are pretty impressive. The washer spin the cloths almost dry, almost. They use so little power that we are able to run them both at the same time.

We purchased them from PPL Stackable Washer & Dryer by Splendide - good prices - PPL Motor Homes

The biggest thing to make them work right is the vent line. I up sized mine from a 3" plastic flex which is very restrictive especially where it makes a turn. I went with 4" rigid aluminum tubing from the back of the unit for about 3 feet then to smooth 4" 20 gauge pvc and kept the number of 90 degree turns to only 3.

I would most definitely purchase these again.
Papa Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #30
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
The units are both 110VAC, and thus far the dryer is working very well. It does dry the clothes very well...

How long does the unit take to dry an 8lb load?
I honestly don't know...I would have to ask the wife.... But I think in general it is very short. I know she is both happy and impressed with the units.... and she was used to having good home units. Says both the washer and dryer are better than using a laundromat.

I asked her, she says: It all depends on how heavy the clothes are...but normally a full load gets dry in 30 minutes or so.
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:56 PM   #31
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by VixenII View Post
JAT - Two quick questions - !. does your wife like the washer? 2. Have you encountered any problems with the washer? The 7500 is available here in S. Puerto Rico via Sears and I have to make a decision soon. The other common compact units are not sold outside of the USA.
1. Yes, she loves it!!

2. No, we have not.

They are used on a regular basis and we are full time liveaboards....
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:59 AM   #32

City: Olympia, WA
Vessel Name: Valhalla
Vessel Model: 38' Rawson Custom Fiberglass / Single Cat Diesel
I have a Kariba (which is a Splendide made under a different name - same parts) and it's a vented model. It's works very, very well. Yes, any dryer running on 110v instead of 220v will take a little longer to dry. Three reasons I would never consider a propane dryer onboard, 1) propane is much more dangerous on a boat than electricity, 2) I hate packing propane tanks anywhere at anytime, and 3) I can make electricity onboard but I can not make propane.

Stay safe.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #33
FF
Guru

If/when I get to cruise full time the washer will become much more of a necesity.

Depends on how you cruise.

If your daily run is from marina to marina , and you are never more than a few hours from the power pole, constant electric and a small washer works fine. Although it might be laundry day 6 days a week.

If you enjoy an anchorage and the sound of silence (the other anchored boats do ) the ease with which you can do 2-3 weeks of laundry in 1 1/2 hours at the laundromat will interest you.

Most cruisers carry aboard a folding 2 wheel shopping cart device , so food , beverages. propane tanks or laundry are easy when ashore.

Loading it all into the dink, is a different joy.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:08 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post

Matt, you could put a washer and dryer in place of the hot tub/spa you have planned for the boat.

My boat came with a Splendid combination w/d. One of the first things I did was take it out, and put in needed drawer storage. It also had an extra Tundra freezer that I removed and made a locker. Storage to me was more important. Glad I did it. Of course, we are not livaboards.
Bwahahahahahaha but the spa was going to look so cool lol

Yeah I'm not living aboard so I will keep the spa hahaha

iPad Forum Runner
Old 12-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post

The need for a washer/dryer or even a range hood really depends on how you intend to use the boat and the "ease" you expect.

Personally I think that the washer/dryer is a fantastic thing to have, even for boating just a few days at a time. If you leave clothes and towles on the boat, all you have to do is go to the boat to enjoy it. No hauling kit bags full of clothes back and forth, no packing for a boat trip...

If/when I get to cruise full time the washer will become much more of a necesity. Again, no need to take time out of your schedule and lug laundry around.

A Range hood is nice too. Boats tend to colect moisture, cooking generates it. A range hood is just as useful on a boat as it is at home.
Thanks for your reply mate. Will look at the range hood inclusion more closely.

Cheers again!

Regards
Matt

iPad Forum Runner
Old 12-28-2012, 07:12 AM   #36

City: Olympia, WA
Vessel Name: Valhalla
Vessel Model: 38' Rawson Custom Fiberglass / Single Cat Diesel
I've done the laundry-mat thing, no thanks. You need to carry more clothing because you keep 2-3 weeks of dirty clothes on hand, I'd far rather toss in a load once per day. Timed right and you'll never even know the machine is running if you are doing a load while underway. My Kariba all-in-one 110v vented machine is one of the best things I ever bought for the boat. And of course depending on the weather and where you are cruising you may not need to run the dryer cycle, wash, rinse, spin to dry then hang stuff on deck for an hour or two. And mine typically only uses 8-12 gallons to wash - not a problem.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #37
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
I've done the laundry-mat thing, no thanks. You need to carry more clothing because you keep 2-3 weeks of dirty clothes on hand, I'd far rather toss in a load once per day. Timed right and you'll never even know the machine is running if you are doing a load while underway. My Kariba all-in-one 110v vented machine is one of the best things I ever bought for the boat. And of course depending on the weather and where you are cruising you may not need to run the dryer cycle, wash, rinse, spin to dry then hang stuff on deck for an hour or two. And mine typically only uses 8-12 gallons to wash - not a problem.
Thats the way I see it as well.

My washer/dryer takes about 2 hours to wash and dry a load of clothes.
While on the hook I need to run the generator a couple times a day anyway to recharge the batteries. Thats a great time to wash a load of clothes.

I feel the same way some others feel about propane. Yes, I could make it safe. The challenge is that its something more I'd have to deal with.

Right now the only things me or my boat need from shore is food and diesel fuel. We make our own water, process and dispose of our own waste, make our own electricity, and that makes boating more fun and less hassle.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:01 AM   #38

City: Hong Kong
220V units

White-Westinghouse makes a vented washer/dryer, model LCE812LFV3 which is 220-240V, 50 Hz and also LCE812LFV2C which is 220, 60Hz.

They are even available in the States and Canada.
Searios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #39
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I didn't see that model # on a quick Google search, but I've found all of the units they sell at appliance and big-box stores are condensing units that vent inside the building (or in our case, boat.) Marine units are typically available with the option to vent outside. They dry much faster and use less electricity.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #40
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
The condenser units do not "vent" at all...they condense the water vapor into liquid, which drains somewhere. I've had a vented and a condenser model, and performance-wise they were almost exactly the same.

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote