Old 04-15-2018, 09:05 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
On the Gulfstar 44 is the washer dryer in the companionway to the aft cabin? Is yours the one with the curved bulkhead going down the steps? Have you looked at the deck above the washer? Is it possible to cut the deck above the washer and slide it down into the compartment? Just trying to think outside the box... Or maybe crane it down vertically in the companionway?
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:36 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Chula Vista, Ca
Vessel Name: Curly Sez Wow
Vessel Model: Gulf Star
You have got the layout exactly right. Area directly above is storage (good news for potential drop-in of new machine) but about that is compartment with aft ac condenser (not such good news) and above that aft deck floor but also some of aft cabin bulkhead (bad news) which would have to be removed and later replaced. All possible but extremely costly. In any case, thanks for the suggestion.
henryj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:20 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
No problem. I love your boat. We would have had one except our yard can’t haul that big of a boat.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:58 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Kingwood, TX
Vessel Name: Our Happy Place
Vessel Model: Kha Shing Vista Sundeck Aft Cabin 46
We have a Splendide in our RV that works very well. IT is vented. Don’t overload it.
My Admiral (take note you lowly Captains!) wants one on our soon to be our Kha Shing Vista. There is a closet in aft Cabin with a hatch to vent out. The only issue is that unless you want the holding tank filling up, must dump soapy water into ocean. I guess in some far away bay that will work, but not back in slip.
Ostriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:16 PM   #25
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Definitely get a vented unit - I put several non-vented in some of my rental units - none worked well for long. But vented ones have worked very well with no problems. That's what I will put on our boat - probably Splendide.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:11 PM   #26
RNL

City: Sitka
Vessel Name: Rob n' Lee
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42' #192
I removed the oner/under unit and replaced with vented Splendide with good outcome. This does not help you narrow gangway but I built a shelif to set mine up at eye level instead of resting on the deck. If you place it in elevated state like i did does that give you any more wiggle room to work it to its final place? Its nice to have the extra stowage beneath it now too. I think the splendide is likely best option if you can getit placed. Good luck!
RNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:14 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNL View Post
I removed the oner/under unit and replaced with vented Splendide with good outcome. This does not help you narrow gangway but I built a shelif to set mine up at eye level instead of resting on the deck. If you place it in elevated state like i did does that give you any more wiggle room to work it to its final place? Its nice to have the extra stowage beneath it now too. I think the splendide is likely best option if you can getit placed. Good luck!
With a sister ship (Krogen 42) we gained storage space both below and above the unit. Enough storage that all cleaning supplies are stored in the two compartments. We were also able to mount our port stabilizer ram below and behind the unit.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:03 AM   #28
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
With a sister ship (Krogen 42) we gained storage space both below and above the unit. Enough storage that all cleaning supplies are stored in the two compartments. We were also able to mount our port stabilizer ram below and behind the unit.
This is my plan also or similar. Ours is in the master behind it are the stairs into the salon. In the stairs is 1 of my 4 AC units I need 2 more inches depth to get the next size larger unit, the rest of the space will be more storage.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:27 PM   #29

City: Denver
Vessel Name: Mile High
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
We replaced our original unit with whirlpool stackable washer and dryer. JAT gave very detailed guidance on model numbers and removal and replacement procedures. It would have been a nightmare without his help. The thread is way down on the gulfstar trawler builder forum and is titled washer/dryer replacement 44MC. We’ve been very pleased with these units for almost 5 years now. Be sure to follow his instructions about removing the trim molding on the right side of the washer dryer opening

Steve
Sterlau is offline   Reply With Quote