Wagner 700 helm pump - return line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wagmore

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
N/A
Vessel Make
N/A
Thought this would be a simple one, but after calling Wagner (Jastram), one of their distributors (Hamilton Marine) and an unknown tech they referred me to, nobody is providing the answer.

I've a Wagner 700 series helm pump - pictured here. Simple setup, two lines to the Wagner actuator.

fmmVoGx.jpg

I'm plumbing in a Simrad RPU80 autopilot pump, and installing the two necessary tees into the existing lines is straightforward. However, I need to know where to send the return line. I assumed I'd simply replace one of the brass plugs shown above with an elbow, and plumb it in - but can't get a definitive answer from the sources above.

If so - does it matter whether I use the upper or lower plug? One of the contacts "guessed" I might use the lower, but then would need to vent the upper plug somehow. Another person said I might need to use an overflow tank.

Can anyone provide a known, working example of how I should plumb this?

I don't know if this manual will help. I have older helm pumps. There's a plumbing diagram.

Attachments

• Wagner PV140XX Pumpset Manual.pdf
    737.2 KB · Views: 120
You should plumb the lower return/equalization port on the Wagner 700 series helm pump to the center port on the RPU80 reversing pump.

When filling the system and and purging the air from the lines, this allows the bubbles to migrate up through the bottom inlet in the helm's internal reservoir and escape through the fill/vent plug.

If you had a dual helm installation, the upper port on the lower helm would connect to the lower port on the upper helm, and the lower port on the lower helm would connect to the center port on the autopilot pump. They connect vertically in series, or stacked if you like.

That sure makes sense to me, Larry. I've read similar suggestions elsewhere, albeit not for the identical helm pump.

However, since posting here - somebody at Jastram did get back to me on an email I sent them over a week ago. In it - they returned my photo shown above, highlighting the UPPER port as the connection location - but also including a diagram showing a "Wagner 2 liter header tank including site glass." Something I'm sure is long since discontinued as well...

I'm guessing they specify the upper port for the same reason you mentioned its use when plumbing in an upper helm station. The diagram shows the reservoir being higher than the helm pump. So now, the question remains...is a reservoir really necessary? It's not listed as optional in the diagram.

Attached is what was sent...and whether they provide definitive info or not, perhaps the manuals will come in handy for other Wagner 700 owners.

Attachments

• WagnerSetup.png
    WagnerSetup.png
    178.7 KB · Views: 165
  • 700 SERIES MANUAL HYD.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 168
  • N Cylinder Installation Manual.pdf
    353.7 KB · Views: 52
In your Wagner 700 Series manual refer to figure 6 which illustrates a two station installation. Essentially, your autopilot pump is to be installed the same as a lower helm. You will also note that in the manual, no external reservoir is shown in either the single or dual installations and the cross sectional diagram shows an internal reservoir with a fill/vent cap. Maybe the external reservoirs were used in some other/larger Wagner systems. Also, the filling and bleeding instructions are spot on and even refer to autopilots :thumb:

Attachments

• Wagner 1.JPG
    Wagner 1.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 384
  • Wagner 2.JPG
    Wagner 2.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 453
Back
Top Bottom