Vetus Steering Pump: got problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Old School
Vessel Make
38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Greetings all:
I have a Vetus steering pump, the only markings I can find on it are ET 42 C.C, located on the top near the fill hole. The problem is that when I turn the wheel I get this sort of bump feeling. It turns normal, then feels loose then normal and so on. If I could graph how it feels, it would look like a bell curve with the loose feeling at the top of the curve, normal at the bottom. It also make a noise when turning, not a grinding noise but not far from it. It will steer the boat. I opened the fill hole to see if there was oil in it, could not see any but when turning the wheel I saw that oil was on the gears and must have been picked up on the bottom of the pump. I can't find any leaks in the hyd ram or the pump.
Don't know why the pics are upside down, but the fill hole is on top and the tubes on the back run downward. I have never had any kind of issue and don't know what kind of oil to fill it with if that's the problem. The pump is 22 yrs old. Any ideas? Thanks.
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0374.jpg
    IMG_0374.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0378.jpg
    IMG_0378.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 211
You could try contacting Vetus. I got great support for my ancient "Bow Propellor".

VETUS America
7251 National Drive
Hanover, Maryland 21076
Tel. +1 410 712 0740
Fax +1 410 712 0985
E-Mail sales-service@vetus.com

Thanks George, will do.
Mike

George:
You were correct sir, the Vetus guys you gave me the number to were excellent and very helpful. I also found a place to get one of the types of hydraulic oil they recommend, Exxon Mobil - Aero HF Aviation Hydraulic Fluid. Total for 2 quarts and shipping $33.65.
https://pilotshq.com/
Thanks for the help.
Mike

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom