Vetus hydraulic steering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DHeckrotte

Guru
Vessel Name
Revel
Vessel Make
1984 Fu Hwa 39
When it rains, it pours!

We took Revel out for a joyride yesterday, the first since the fuel tank and Perkins electrical issue were dealt with. The flybridge helm failed to steer the boat. The helm below worked as usual.

We've got Vetus MT 50/7 pumps at both positions. Anybody have experience with 'em? Anybody got the manuals for 'em? Vetus online sources exist from 1995 and 2005. Pictures look much the same but the model numbers do not coincide.

No evident leaks. Copper tubing.

(I thought I'd posted this earlier today...but must have pushed a wrong button.)

Attachments

• 2017-08-23 Sues Wake.jpg
    2017-08-23 Sues Wake.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 88
No info on that pump in particular but most hydro steering problems are caused by not enough oil or too much air. Make sure reservoirs have oil and bleed looking for air.

I think sean9c is on the right track. Vetus is high quality equipment. sounds like air issue to me. A helm air bleeding evolution sounds like it would be a place to start.

IF you need a new 24 inch Mahogany wheel with hand sewn Elkhide on the SS rim let me know.

Neither the 1995 nor the 2005 Vetus manuals cover the pumps I have. The two Vetus msnuals approved different fluids having different ratings, the earlier various references containing 22 and the later references to airplane hydraulic fluids. No hydraulic steering fluid sold in marine stores give the ratings of their product. Tractor hydraulic fluid sold in Auto stores have no ratings. Wagner pumps use AW32. I understand that the 22, 32, 42, and up, refer to viscosity.

So, I bought AW32 and poured it into the upper helm pump. We have steering again.

"So, I bought AW32 and poured it into the upper helm pump. We have steering again."

GREAT!

Now its time to find out where the old fluid went.

Paper towels or toilet papers are your friend

FF, I've been wondering that myself. No signs, yet. I had decided to imagine that a great amount of time had passed since its last topping-up. And a little seepage from the actuator cylinder would/could do that. It went from always sloppier on the flybridge to non-functional in two months of non-use. Probably would not take that much loss from barely-covered pump ports to introducing air.

I've had the same experience with my Hynautics. Never found a leak. Top up lasted several years. Now time to fix something else!

Back
Top Bottom