Vetus Bow Thruster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noel Hyde

Vessel Name
Telesis
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy 32 Europa
I have been told that the armature on my Vetus BOW 5012 bow thruster has shorted out thereby rendering it inoperable. Is this kind of a malfunction the death sentence for my thruster? If not, would a machine shop or electric motor repair facility be my best option for a possible repair?
Lastly, as a last resort, is it possible to find a preowned thruster off of one of the many boats deemed "totaled" by an insurance company in these latest storms but with still usable equipment?

There used to be electric motor shops in most towns that could rewind electric motors. In my area they've faded away like TV repair shops.

We still have a couple of starter/alternator rebuilders, but they only make sense if you've got an expensive unit or one that's hard to source. Many times, you can buy new for about the same price.

If you can't find an electric motor shop, try the starter/alternator shop.

When we lived in Tucson there was an alternator repair shop that would rebuild motors. They did an old bilge blower motor for me and charged me $25 to do it.

Give Florida Bow Thrusters a call. Vetus is their core business.

They travel the country installing them. They are a class act. Don’t know if they rebuild the motors. But reasonably sure they can answer your questions.

You’re not going to find someone to fix a shorted armature. Unless a simple undercut and turn of the com will fix it.
That’s an old thruster, Florida thrusters will just recommend replacing it.
I’d make a few calls to used marine stores to see if you can find a complete motor and check fleabay as well. I thought I saw one there not too long ago when I was checking for thruster parts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom