Venting the holding tank - sweettank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sanitation hose is wire reinforced, so while vent lines can easily become blocked, but rarely if ever collapse unless nylon water hose or another totally unsuitable hose is used.

Are you sure you really want to use or recommend--or even store on your boat-- a product that "may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. If ingested, this product will immediately causeburns to the mouth, throat, esophagus and possibly the digestive tract. Ingestion can causegastrointestinal irritation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. This product may cause methemoglobinemia upon ingestion characterized by cyanosis, headache, dizziness, fatigue,nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, stupor, coma and rarely death?"

And they actually have to nerve to call it a "green" product??? Oh..that's just what color it is.

You can read the complete product MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) here: TST RV Toilet treatmet MSDS

Last edited:
product that "may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. If ingested, this product will immediately causeburns to the mouth, throat, esophagus and possibly the digestive tract. Ingestion can causegastrointestinal irritation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. This product may cause methemoglobinemia upon ingestion characterized by cyanosis, headache, dizziness, fatigue,nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, stupor, coma and rarely death?"

Peggie Hall: I think I had some of this with a meal in McAllen, Tx., At least the symptoms were the same. Can Corona be used as an antidote because I think that is the only thing that saved me.

Sanitation hose is wire reinforced, so while vent lines can easily become blocked, but rarely if ever collapse unless nylon water hose or another totally unsuitable hose is used.

Are you sure you really want to use or recommend--or even store on your boat-- a product that "may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. If ingested, this product will immediately causeburns to the mouth, throat, esophagus and possibly the digestive tract. Ingestion can causegastrointestinal irritation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. This product may cause methemoglobinemia upon ingestion characterized by cyanosis, headache, dizziness, fatigue,nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, stupor, coma and rarely death?"

And they actually have to nerve to call it a "green" product??? Oh..that's just what color it is.

You can read the complete product MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) here: TST RV Toilet treatmet MSDS

You apparently didn't notice the color is actually orange. I couldn't find a msds for the liquid orange power on camping world, but they do have one for the orange power tabs. That msds says if you ingest a lot of it you might get the burps.

Besides what do you think oil and transmission fluid can do to you? You'll have a hard time finding boats that don't have containers of the stuff on board. For the life of me I just can't remember when the last time I felt compelled to take a drink of any of them.

Besides what do you think oil and transmission fluid can do to you?

How often do you handle oil and transmission fluid? How often do you handle your holding tank product? What's the risk of spilling oil or transmission fluid in your living space vs the risk of spilling a holding product? Where do you store them on the boat? Any small children or pets aboard that can be attracted by a bright color or "appetizing" (to a dog anyway) odor? And I'm sure you don't routinely pour oil or transmission fluid overboard...but whether you "pour" your holding tank overboard, plenty of people routinely do.

For the life of me I just can't remember when the last time I felt compelled to take a drink of any of them.

But it's ok with you if any aquatic life that happens be in the "neighborhood" in which a tank is dumped, even legally offshore, does? And then is caught and served up on your dinner table...???

I'm anything BUT a "tree hugger," but when there are so many good products out there that aren't poison AND work even better, I can't see any good reason to use products that are.

Do you leave things such as toilet treaments or oil or transmission fluid in places easily accessible to children and not instruct them to stay away? Surely you can grasp the idea that there are untold numbers of dangerous things on a boat and it's your responsibility as an adult to insure that kids are instructed what they can and can not play with or for that matter, swallow.

I went and checked just to be sure, but the label on the orange power toilet treatment stated that is was enviromentally safe. If you believe that is a lie maybe you should sue them, possibly before they sue you for defamation. Manufacturers dont like "subject matter experts" bashing their products, especially when their claims originate from the msds of a different product.

Camco also sells a marine toilet treatment that lots of suppliers sell if the orange doesnt work for someone.

Last edited:
I didn't write their MSDS, they did. I'm only the messenger who copied a paragraph from the first aid warnings in it and posted a link to the whole document...which is the only MSDS that comes up in a google search for "TST RV Toilet Treatment." You obviously don't like the message so you're taking aim at the messenger.

Btw..."biodegradable" is a meaningless feel-good term that chemical product manufacturers use to mislead the public into thinking it's synonymous with "green". For example, formaldehyde, the active ingredient in several Thetford tank products, is classified as "biodegradable." That's why it's important to read the MSDS for any product. The first aid warnings are the best indicator..."harmful or fatal if swallowed, may cause blindness, call poison control immediately..." vs. "flush eyes with plenty of water, drink plenty of water if ingested, contact physician if symptoms develop"... YOU decide which indicates a product is safe for you AND the environment and which doesn't.

Google "camco rv toilet treatment msds: and the link to the TST Orange RV Toilet Treatment MSDS is the first link displayed.

It doesn't contain formaldehyde so inserting that into an argument against its use is kind of specious.

Its hazard rating is less than many commonly used home cleaning products and less than many pool chemicals that are handled by probably hundreds of thousands of people (including children) every day this time of the year.

Talk about dangerous chemicals, take a look at the stuff in women's hair dyes - especially the stuff they call "Summer Blonde."

Last edited:
I too think the discussion of holding tank chemicals is rediculous in relation to storing aboard....plenty of things like antifreeze that would present the exact same issues in much larger quantities.

I don't really think you need them when actively using the boat. Like most conciencious boaters, I doubt most of us would pump the stuff into the water. I see its use more for someone who can't pump out and flush before leaving the boat for awhile and wants to control odors.

I hate the thought of it...but what runs off the streets and parking lots of the world after every rain I think is far worse than what all the recreational boaters could possibly dump into the water. Till the world is serious about runoff, the occasional mistake or issue by a boater to me is forgiveable...but at that point....if a pumpout or run to the ocean is not practical...I would rather not see the chemicals hit the water and have it be just raw, the environment easily accepts that in small doses just fine and traces gone in no time. Not prefered...but not a big deal either.

Last edited:
I didn't write their MSDS, they did. I'm only the messenger who copied a paragraph from the first aid warnings in it and posted a link to the whole document...which is the only MSDS that comes up in a google search for "TST RV Toilet Treatment." You obviously don't like the message so you're taking aim at the messenger.

Btw..."biodegradable" is a meaningless feel-good term that chemical product manufacturers use to mislead the public into thinking it's synonymous with "green". For example, formaldehyde, the active ingredient in several Thetford tank products, is classified as "biodegradable." That's why it's important to read the MSDS for any product. The first aid warnings are the best indicator..."harmful or fatal if swallowed, may cause blindness, call poison control immediately..." vs. "flush eyes with plenty of water, drink plenty of water if ingested, contact physician if symptoms develop"... YOU decide which indicates a product is safe for you AND the environment and which doesn't.

You do realize you used the msds for a different product. Right?

No one took aim at you because your message rubbed them wrong.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom