Old 11-16-2014, 09:18 AM   #1
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
My Electroscan blew up

How about this, a couple of nights ago my Electrasan blew up. I believe I had blockage in my vented loop and the water pressure from my Galleymaid toilet pump literally blew the side out of my Electrascan. I have the ability to divert waste from the Electrascan to my holding tank or directly through my through hull. I also due to the draft of my boat use a vented loop between the Electroscan and the through hull. I would not have thought my waste pump could develop enough pressure to rupture the tank, apparently it does. Fortunately I had been working on the system so the tank was mostly water. It was a very loud bang. Not shot gun load but loud enough to make you duck. You would think with the vented loop you would not be able to build pressure. I can also though a Y valve pump by passing the Electroscan through the vented loop to the through hull. When I trying pumping fresh waste water through the vented loop the Galley maid pump actually stalled. So I know the blockage is in the loop somewhere. If your not familiar with the old Galleymaid pumps they look like truck starter motors with weird corkscrew stators instead impellers. Anyway not a pleasant surprise. Thank god for shop vacs. At first I thought somehow I had ignited the chlorine gas created by the salt water and Platinum plates in the Electroscan under electrical charge. But after investigation and finding the blockage I think it was water pressure.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #2
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Man did you luck-out on having it mostly water. That kind of pressure would have spit dukie in every unreachable corner and crevasse of that space. Even worse if yoy happen to be working next to it when it let go.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #3
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
That Galleymaid is a very powerful pump. The vented loop would not have relieved the pressure because it is designed to let air into the line not out. Still, it's surprising it developed that much pressure.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:28 PM   #4
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
That could've went from bad to worse! Thank god it was water.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:22 AM   #5
Guru

Well if you were here in Seattle it would probably be a good time to deep six it. The ecology fanatics are trying hard to outlaw all forms of overboard treatment. They came close to success still up in the air for what probably would be the largest no discharge zone in US waters.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:13 PM   #6
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Scary how old was your electrascan ?

My system and layout sounds identical to yours but our heads don't have the heavy duty pumps that you do. My thought is that your blockage is still there and I would agree that it is past the electrascan and in the vented loop.

I know that recently I tried to vacate our head via the electrascan and the thru hull was closed but no damage occurred. When we were travelling through the Great Lakes and river systems this summer and fall it was a pain adding salt each time we flushed, now that we are back in salt water waiting for the gulf to lie down I can definitely tell the system prefers the natural salt.

Good luck and let us know your findings, I might suggest you contact electrascan something tells me they may cover a replacement body.

Gerald

Takes Two
Currently in Panama City FL
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:59 AM   #7
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwkiwi View Post
Scary how old was your electrascan ?

My system and layout sounds identical to yours but our heads don't have the heavy duty pumps that you do. My thought is that your blockage is still there and I would agree that it is past the electrascan and in the vented loop.

I know that recently I tried to vacate our head via the electrascan and the thru hull was closed but no damage occurred. When we were travelling through the Great Lakes and river systems this summer and fall it was a pain adding salt each time we flushed, now that we are back in salt water waiting for the gulf to lie down I can definitely tell the system prefers the natural salt.

Good luck and let us know your findings, I might suggest you contact electrascan something tells me they may cover a replacement body.

Gerald

Takes Two
Currently in Panama City FL
As is mine.

I'm pretty close to replacing it with the Purisan.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:26 AM   #8
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
The tank is 5 years old

I just replaced the top of the tank as the mixing motors had corroded. I think the high salinity of the salt water injection system is hard on the painted mixing motors. There is blockage in the vented loop or through hull, I haven't been able tackle that little bit of fun yet. I am able to route waste to the holding tank ,bypassing the loop and Electroscan. The tank should be here in a couple of days. I'm balls to the wall working on other boats, hopefully next week I'll get after it. Raritan didn't seem willing to provide a new tank. The tank costs about $147 with shipping and a top gasket. I had a 200 Aluminum gallon holding tank which I replaced with a 100 gallon plastic tank when I installed the Electroscan. That sounds like a lot of capacity however those Galley Maid pumps move a lot of water. It's only a matter of time before there will be no discharge I'm sure. Any time you have a system that requires maintenance to work, someone will neglect it and pump untreated sewage into the environment. The city marina in Stockton has pump out stations on the docks and hoses that can reach your boats to pump out without leaving the dock. It's pretty convenient. aybe sometime in the future this will the norm.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:42 AM   #9

City: Patterson, LA
Vessel Name: Last Tango
Vessel Model: Ocean 40 + 2 Trawler Yacht
Does anyone know of a service facility that rebuilds Lectra Sans? I have two dead ones. I have respect for Raritan's technicians, but they just want to sell me two new systems.

Maybe I am dreaming, but am still hopeful that there is some company or boatyard waste wizard with a warehouse full of parts and old systems, that can at least get one of the systems operational at a reasonable cost.
Last Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:00 AM   #10
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
Does anyone know of a service facility that rebuilds Lectra Sans? I have two dead ones. I have respect for Raritan's technicians, but they just want to sell me two new systems.

Maybe I am dreaming, but am still hopeful that there is some company or boatyard waste wizard with a warehouse full of parts and old systems, that can at least get one of the systems operational at a reasonable cost.
What's a reasonable cost?

talk to Parks (Hopcar) he can probably do a deal for you for particular parts..

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:12 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post

Yes, Call Marine Sanitation and Supply. They sell and service

Raritan
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote