Old 01-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #1

City: Glen,NH
Vessel Name: While You're Down There
Vessel Model: Regal Commodore 3880 Flybridge
Vacuflush Conversion

Under pressure from the Admiral....I am planning to convert the existing electric jabsco head to a vacuflush system using the Vacuflush VG4 vacuum generator and the existing 40 gallon holding tank. I will also need to change the head. Last year I removed all the sanitation hoses due to permeation and replaced with PVC which has been a huge success but I wonder if anyone could advise me whether it is preferable to locate the VG4 close to the head or is it more efficient being located closer to the tank - just thinking of reducing the risk of blockage.
Any assistance much appreciated

markdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:02 AM   #2
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I can't tell you about how to install a Vacuflush, but have heard great things about the Raritan Marine Elegance head which apparently has the vacuum equipment inside the head itself. No extra plumbing other than getting water from the potable water system and no extra space needed for a vacuum generator.. There are three versions of controls, the most expensive is probably the best (naturally).

A couple years ago I had the opportunity to purchase and install a used one from a friend's boat that was being sold but I wasn't sure it would fit my boat and he wasn't offering me a great price so I let it go.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:24 AM   #3

Vacuflush conversion

Thanks WesK
Yes I looked at that option but I can do the vacuflush very inexpensively and have 2 good locations for the VG4 at either end. Marinediscounters are doing a VG4 kit which is basically all the parts for the VG4 that you then put together yourself but at half the cost of the regular assembly and that is quite a saving.They are also selling off the VF heads at trade so over all a very economical way of changing over.
I am just not sure if its more efficient to have the unit very close to the head which means the suction is over a shorter distance but the pumping of the waste is longer or vise versa.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #4
FF
Guru

.I am planning to convert the existing electric jabsco head to a vacuflush system

Would not it be easier and more reliable to purchase a better QUALITY head , even used and rebuilt?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:17 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I have two vaccuflush heads on my boat.

Yes, they work. Yes they seem pretty reliable.

I do not like them.

The admrial thinks they are noisy.

I think that they will be a real PITA to work on, since the vaccuflush units are not in a place that makes servicing easy.

I'm going to change them both out, possibly this season, but probably next season. I'm not in a big hurry because they do work.

The replacement will be something from Raritan. Something with a macerator. Something I can work on all in one spot.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:17 AM   #6

FF
Thank you for your suggestion. Yes considered that too but we have a good friend who has done the same install on a similar boat and it has worked very well - Admiral very impressed - hence orders from above ! I think the flick of a switch/pressing of a foot pedal simplicity is the obvious major draw! The later model of our vessel has this system and I just put a request in to see where they locate the unit at the factory.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I have two vaccuflush heads on my boat.

Yes, they work. Yes they seem pretty reliable.

I do not like them.

The admrial thinks they are noisy.

I think that they will be a real PITA to work on, since the vaccuflush units are not in a place that makes servicing easy.

I'm going to change them both out, possibly this season, but probably next season. I'm not in a big hurry because they do work.

The replacement will be something from Raritan. Something with a macerator. Something I can work on all in one spot.
Kevin
Do you have the older model VF - I was under the impression that the later units are very quite?
I am seriously thinking that it would be best to locate in the engine room - plenty of space-ease of maintenance and then no noise factor.
But you are right because now I would have the head mechanism as well as the pump unit to repair/service.
Right now its easy to pull the Jabsco and unclog/service.
Going to take another look at Raritan I think.
Many Thanks
Mark
Old 01-21-2014, 10:32 AM   #8
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
For what it's worth we have a Vacuflush on Ebbtide. It has worked flawlessly regardless of paper type. Our head is forward and the VG is aft at the holding tank. In my opinion farther is better as the inches of vacuum are the same but the volume of vacuum is greater. Our VG is in the Engine Room and holding tank is in the Lazzarett (sp).
Old 01-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #9

Thanks Bob
That's good to hear.
Mounting the VG in the engine room would definitely increase the volume that is under vacuum giving more potential to remove waste at the Head end.
I just confirmed with one of the reps that this would work well in our application so Engine room it will be.
Now if we can just get rid of all this snow, the Polar Vortex and get the boat out of wrap I can start!!! April seems a long way off right now though.
Many thanks to everyone for your kind and very quick responses.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #10
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Become an expert on it if you do install it...many marine techs and marinas don't have a clue how to properly troubleshoot them and that costs a fortune in trial and error. If possible when you have any trouble with them...take your boat to a marina that also services a fleet of boats that come with vacu-flush, like Sea Rays where I used to work...they knew their stuff because they fixed several systems a day.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #11

That's a definite.
I thought that by assembling the kit myself to make the working unit would give me a good initial insight into the mechanics of the system and then doing the install always teaches us a thing or two and uncovers something else no doubt!
I am also fortunate being an engineer and having a great relationship with the Techs at our marina.
Have already started to read up on problems on the forums but Brad at marinediscount that is supplying the VG4 has been dealing with them for years and is very knowledgeable. He is also willing to give advice too. Got to love people that don't just want to sell the product but want everything to work well too.
Best Regards
Mark
Old 01-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #12
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Interesting thread. Most VF people change to anything but a VF. They work but have many "don't do this or put this in it" rules. I want a head that works like a head. I have Jabsco quiet flush heads and they are 20 years old this year, no problems.

From the experiences of my neighbors, keep white vinegar handy and flush it down to keep the duck bills clean.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:36 PM   #13

I hear you.
I don't think Ill be throwing the old unit away for a while just in case!
Thanks for the advice.
Mark
Old 01-21-2014, 07:15 PM   #14
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
I will miss the three VFs on our Hatteras, which we lived aboard full time for 5 1/2 years, part time for another year, much of it on moorings and at anchor, and with many guests. I spent less time messing with those toilets than any I have ever owned on land and sea. ZERO time spent on two of them, and once I remediated an improper PO installation on the other, over three years ago, zero on that one too. I would never own anything else. Use proper paper, flush enough water through them, live is good, even with certain crew members who never did learn to use them exactly right.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:27 PM   #15

That very reassuring to hear.
Sounds like the system was well installed and maintained.
Have ordered everything today so hopefully i can do as good a job on installing.
Thank you very much for your input.
Mark
Old 01-21-2014, 10:00 PM   #16
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Use proper paper, flush enough water through them, live is good, even with certain crew members who never did learn to use them exactly right.
I agree, we have two. In both cases the pumps are in the ER. Where we boat (PNW) there are plenty of VF head experts. But be sure to have each on a separate breaker so when they start pumping, for God knows why, at midnight you can shut them off.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:19 PM   #17

Good Point Thanks!
I will use the breaker that already exists for the Jabsco. ( The new VG draws less amperage too)
Can anything be louder than that Jabsco when one of the Kids uses the head at 2am in the morning - it backs right onto our berth!
Old 01-21-2014, 10:35 PM   #18
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdd View Post
Good Point Thanks!
I will use the breaker that already exists for the Jabsco. ( The new VG draws less amperage too)
Can anything be louder than that Jabsco when one of the Kids uses the head at 2am in the morning - it backs right onto our berth!

The VG for the vacuflush is under the master berth in our Ocean Alexander..

The family knows better than to flush the head after a night time pee...

When guests are aboard I shut the head off when I go to bed.. how does the old adage go?? if it's yellow let it mellow...

I turn the Head back on after the Admiral graces us with her presence in the morning.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:19 AM   #19

If you install it where it can be reached for service it will make life easier. There are other systems where hard to reach is a better deal.

Next time I need to (I don't think many want to) disconnect any hoses, I'm going to install some unions. The only difficult thing is getting the hoses off and on.
SaltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:11 AM   #20

Holywood
Are the VG s really loud when pumping? Is it the pump causing the vacuum or the pumping to the holding tank...probably both eh? I Thought the latest VG4 was supposed to be quite? We will soon find out but as you suggest we can always shut em down with the breaker. Maybe should have purchased a larger bowl!!!