Old 01-22-2014, 02:16 AM   #21

City: Glen,NH
Vessel Name: While You're Down There
Vessel Model: Regal Commodore 3880 Flybridge
I have a great spot in the engine room with stacks of room to work but I thought of connecting it with unions so I can remove the whole thing for service/unblocking cleaning etc. As I mentioned I have replaced all of the old Sani hose with Sched 40 PVC which has worked excellent and if I mount the VG in the engine room as planned was thinking of splicing in a garden hose connection near the head. This could be used to unblock or flush the lines occasionally.
I can document the install if anyone is interested.

markdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:26 AM   #22

Spare unions with plugs for those special times. Disconnect, replace withe plugged units. 2 minutes max and the smell is minimized.

You will want some flexible hose on each side of the VG.

SaltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #23
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdd View Post
Holywood
Are the VG s really loud when pumping? Is it the pump causing the vacuum or the pumping to the holding tank...probably both eh? I Thought the latest VG4 was supposed to be quite? We will soon find out but as you suggest we can always shut em down with the breaker. Maybe should have purchased a larger bowl!!!
Two sounds.....
The swooosh when the toilet is flushed as the vacuum in the system equalizes...

Then the " thunka thunk " as the piston pushes the waste to the holding tank ( or better yet overboard ) then creates new vacuum in the system.

If it wasn't under my head as I try to get my beauty sleep I wouldn't give a crap about the noise it makes.

Overall I am really happy with vacuflush systems as this boat is the third VF system we have had.

The ferry I sometimes drive has a VF system,, at times there are 70 aboard with one head... most of the passengers never have used them before... they work great until someone uses a half a roll of TP or drops paper towels in the thing and tries to flush.. this makes for a very unhappy skipper.
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
Spare unions with plugs for those special times. Disconnect, replace withe plugged units. 2 minutes max and the smell is minimized.

You will want some flexible hose on each side of the VG.
Also I am going to mount on Silent blocks to try and reduce vibration and noise factor.
Hollywood is doing an excellent impression of a a VG I can almost hear it Ha!
Old 01-22-2014, 12:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
Two sounds.....
The swooosh when the toilet is flushed as the vacuum in the system equalizes...

Then the " thunka thunk " as the piston pushes the waste to the holding tank ( or better yet overboard ) then creates new vacuum in the system.

If it wasn't under my head as I try to get my beauty sleep I wouldn't give a crap about the noise it makes.

Overall I am really happy with vacuflush systems as this boat is the third VF system we have had.

The ferry I sometimes drive has a VF system,, at times there are 70 aboard with one head... most of the passengers never have used them before... they work great until someone uses a half a roll of TP or drops paper towels in the thing and tries to flush.. this makes for a very unhappy skipper.
HOLLYWOOD
Hi Hollywood.
Awesome sound effects Captain! Thanks. I tried repeating them to the admiral but she threw something heavy at me!...again.
Many thanks for the input - we only have the one head on board and I think we will get it in working order but like you say you cant stop people throwing things down there that don't belong then its a shitty job sorting it out sometimes incurring much loss of sense of humor. I guess that's when I go from Captain to Craptain!!!
You know I think its only the guys at NASA that would discuss this subject to the depth that we do!
Very much enjoy the contributions on this site thanks everyone.
Mark
Old 01-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #26
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
Our VG pump is in the Lazzarett and rubber mounted. We still hear it though not too loudly. The fresh water pump is louder. Our VG switch is in the head and works well for us.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #27

Now there's an idea!!! What about a soundproof...ish enclosure.
cant see any problems with motor overheating and easy fab ?
Bit like the genny. Then if its rubber mounted we should be minimum decibels.
Only trouble for me is that if I cant hear something operate I don't know if its working. Last spring I replaced the thunderous water pump that used to constantly tell me too much water was being used - with one of the silent variable speed pumps. Result...now my daughter and her friends can empty one tank and fill the other easily without me being aware!!!!
Old 01-22-2014, 12:41 PM   #28
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
We have two and like them very much. Very little trouble. Each VG is located very close to the toilet. In the fwd head the VG is in the cabinet right behind the toilet. In the aft head it's located on the other side of the bulkhead in the engine room. Noise has never been an issue, though the initial "sucking" sound when flushing can be sort of loud, but just for a second. The macerator/pump noise - to us - is pretty acceptable, even the one in the cabinet.

Anything beats pumping by hand, especially when you have guests aboard with no prior marine head experience.
http://www.pacificnwboater.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #29
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
This has been a very interesting thread to follow as we are in the throes of making decisions about upgrading our two toilets on Blue Sky. We are down to deciding between the Vacuflush and the Raritan Elegance, I think.

The local yard, who have been excellent on a number of projects, have in preliminary discussions said:

They have installed Vacuflush systems on a number of crew boats - forestry, logging, etc., and have yet to have any problems, clogging or otherwise. They tell me that the Vacuflush laughs at wetwipes etc. that will clog a macerator. (However if there is a macerator on the holding tank you will have just transferred the clog downstream to a probably more problematic location.)They have never plumbed one for direct overboard discharge although it could be done. The concern there is that you might have a rather violent eruption out the through hull.

The Raritan Elegance is well regarded and is a more traditional design, for whatever that's worth.

Our goals are reliability, clog freeness (neoligistically speaking), and silence.

But in the end I suspect that our decision will be based on available space and how it would impact ongoing maintenance on either system.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:13 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: New. Bern
Vessel Name: Carolyn Ann
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N-37
We have been full live a boards for 6+ years with one vacuflush toilet and the vacumn generator mounted in engine room with very easy access. I replaced the duck bills after 5 years because of age. They still were working but when removed could see they were on their last legs. Easy job. The pumping action of the VG is somewhat noisy however we are a small boat. Use as much rigid pvc as possible and use the best/most impermeable sanitation hose possible e.g. trident 101(?) per Peggy Halls recommendation. We only use septic safe TP i.e. Scotts single ply absolutely no Charmin or other non dissolving/clumping TP. Nothing else goes down not coming from mouth, flush-able wipes are not flush-able! Resulting in clogs etc on any overboard macerater if so equipped and even municipal treatment systems. So our system is simple to diagnose and fix as long as VG is easily accessible. It is actually a very robust simple design if use rules are followed.

Joe
Joe Pica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:30 PM   #31
Guru

My other suggestion is to mount them so they can be easily serviced and NOT over the top of anything you are too proud of to drip a little fecal waste onto.
On our Sea Ray the VG was about 15/18' away from the head in the engine space ( really NOT a engine room) and mounted on the outboard side of the port engine. I could get to it.. sort of... after about 10 minutes of wiggling around the front of the engine. The space was designed for a 5' tall 80lb person.. not my 6'2 220 frame. Or by a complete removal of the seats , bar and cockpit floor.. about 3 hrs of work.

never again will I have such a necessary appliance so inaccessible.

HOLLYWOOD
Old 01-28-2014, 12:49 PM   #32

City: Palm Springs CA
Vessel Name: On The Rocks
Vessel Model: Gulf Star MKII
I've had a VF system for almost 10 years with no trouble and no maintenance. I do need to replace the seals in the head as they aren't always air tight so the VG sucks the water out of the bowl once in awhile when the flush valve is closed. I use a toilet brush on the seals regularly to keep them as clean as possible. As for the noise, the VGs are in the engine room and I can barely hear them.
On The Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #33

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
We had VacuFlush last boat--8 years--no problems with very little maintenance. I didn't mind the "noise", which is really not much more than the modern day household low volume flush gurgler. We have MasterFlush on the present boat. They are very good but use a lot of water-approx a gallon per flush vs. a pint for VacuFlush.
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #34

I got so sick of sitting under the Polar Vortex here in NH today and normally my many miles of snowmobiling distract me from thinking about the boat until it gets time to pull the wrap. But with all the snowmobile trails being closed right now I went to the marina and cut into the wrap and took some measurements.
Definite great place to mount on this vessel is Stbd side engine room. Plenty of room and it looks like me and Hollywood share the same shirt size so no problems with access and nice flat easily cleaned area to mount but too damn cold to do anything right now Wimp!
Kind of eerie sitting in the blue light under the shrinkwrap in the cockpit - determined to drink at least 1 "cold" beer while on board. About the coldest Stella I ever drank!
Just waiting for VF bits to arrive and in the meantime if we don't get good snow for the trails I have a fantastic space heater.....
Old 01-28-2014, 09:27 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdd View Post
I got so sick of sitting under the Polar Vortex here in NH today and normally my many miles of snowmobiling distract me from thinking about the boat until it gets time to pull the wrap. But with all the snowmobile trails being closed right now I went to the marina and cut into the wrap and took some measurements.
Definite great place to mount on this vessel is Stbd side engine room. Plenty of room and it looks like me and Hollywood share the same shirt size so no problems with access and nice flat easily cleaned area to mount but too damn cold to do anything right now Wimp!
Kind of eerie sitting in the blue light under the shrinkwrap in the cockpit - determined to drink at least 1 "cold" beer while on board. About the coldest Stella I ever drank!
Just waiting for VF bits to arrive and in the meantime if we don't get good snow for the trails I have a fantastic space heater.....
I really feel for you guys out East this winter... while out in the Pacific North West is is above normal temps and no damn snow!.

You will love the vacu flush!
HOLLYWOOD
Old 01-28-2014, 10:40 PM   #36

Got a spare birth? I'm not any trouble!
Normally enjoy winter with all the snowmobiling and skiing but this year its been crazy low temps with inches of Ice rain, I have been up here 16 years and came from the Med. Never seen anything like it. Today there were images of the Hudson freezing up in NY. Time to make another move me thinks!
It is incredibly beautiful in the summer months but boy we pay for it in winter !!!
Need to plan visits down to Florida or love the Admirals solution....get rid of the Mountain home and get another boat.....one down South and one up here. Now I see why I married her!!